close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hunting with the 45acp or 45gap?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by GLOC45GAP, Mar 22, 2007.

1. GLOC45GAP

GLOC45GAP

Oct 13, 2004
    Has anyone here in the forum tagged Deer, cougar, or Hogs with there 45gap or acp version? Feedback on loads and anything else will be appreciated.:)

2. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Yes I have. Here is a quote from my post in a different thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by 686Owner
    You shot a deer with ball ammo from a handgun?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. It was 17y away and I shot it high in the shoulder. Broke the close shoulder and severed the spine. Bullet lodged in the muscle on the opposite side of the spine. Deer took a half step after the shot and collapsed. Used Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ from my G30. I was taking a leak at the time and left my Guide Gun in my stand but had my pistol on me.

Ball ammo from a handgun works on 200# men, why not 170# deer? You give the deer too much credit. They are not hard to kill.

3. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Feb 6, 2007
    S.E.Florida
    freakshow 10mm.

What you said makes a lot of sense. I never thought of it in those terms.
    Good thinking.

Ahmid

4. I personaly haven't but have seen other do it and they all had opposite results as ferakshow.

200lb hog, shoot w/1911 5" bbl military GI model, 230Gr JHP ( Golden saber )

Hog was shot 5 times from distances of 10 to 20yards. All bullets where extracted from the hog at the gutting/skinning station and all bullet barely if that expanded and the skinner actually stated " you could reload and reuse these " ;)

FWIW:Also never seen any handgun caliber from a 45acp server a spine on an animal bigger than a javelina. And also have to disagree that what's good for a human ( 200lb or whatever ) is adequate for a deer.

second case, 9mm handgun 147gr JHP ( winchester blk talon )

Florida deer shot in a standard broadside shot , bullet penetrated into the meat opposite the entrance hold, never expanded, didn't kill the deer immediately. Deer was ran with 3 dogs, 3 humans and pinned down in a dried Pine Island and need a real caliber ( 44mag to put it down )

deer are and or can be very hard to kill. With the above logic/comparison, how many humans can get shot at from a treestand 12ft up , and have 1.5 of their lungs blown up from a 30cal rifle, and still manage to run about 90 yards away and still need a "coup de grace" to finish him off?

Also I wouldn't advise use a FMJ caliber in a deer. In some state that specific restricted in most all caliber and gun types ( handgun or rifle )

A proper bullet must be select for the game animal you are going to hunt.

5. GLOC45GAP

GLOC45GAP

Oct 13, 2004
    ;) Thanks. I'll stick with my .357mag for now. Thank you for all the feedback.