close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hunting caliber choice?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by trlcavscout, May 17, 2011.

1. I have an upper receiver to use and I was going to order a 6.8 barrel but I am curious is their another caliber that would be better? It will be used for deer/antelope/hogs. Is their another choice that would have more locally available ammo, maybe surplus ammo available? I have had a 6.8 and liked it but I had to order ammo but other then that I am not familiar with any other calibers other then 5.56. What about a 300 whisper?

2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I love the .300 Blackout (more properly called the .300 AAC/BLK) for anything the 6.8 does (and some things it can't do - like subsonic suppressed.) If I was heading out to kill deer at 400 yards, though, I'd choose a 6.5 Grendel.

Whisper is dead....Long live the Blackout.

OTOH - the 6.8 has much better ammo availability, and it's a fine killin' cartridge in its own right.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    For now anyway.

4. I went 308, I was gonna stay with the standard size but couldnt resist :whistling:

5. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I have a whisper.

Are you looking to go subsonic/suppressed/SBR?

Do you reload?