close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hunting AR trigger job

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by WarEagle32, Dec 9, 2012.

1. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    I have just got a Remington VTR 15 to use for coyote hunting. I really really like the rifle. It has what Remington calls "a single stage hunting trigger". It is better than mil spec. It is breaking right at 6 lbs but has more creep than I would like. I've spent a good bit on this and don't have a lot of money to put into a trigger. I only like single stages. Can I realistically get a gunsmith to clean up the trigger for me being that it is better than a mil spec trigger? Or do I need to just save my money and put a JP in it eventually. When I lived in Atlanta I had a smith do an outstanding job on a milspec trigger for me. Now I live in a more rural area that only has one good gunsmith, and I haven't been able to get in touch to talk to him about it. Just wanted some thoughts from you guys that are in the know on this and see what thoughts you had! Thanks!!

2. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    I bought two of POF's one piece single stage triggers and installed them in two rifles (because THAT trigger came in my new POF AR10). It is 4.5 lb break and NO creep. It is fantastic.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I used a 3# Timney in my 6.8 SPC

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The easiest solution is to drop in a Chip McCormick tirgger group. All one piece - pull out the hammer and trigger pins and the selector switch and drop the whole thing in.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Giessele

You don't reallly want a mil spec trigger that's been altered by a local smith for lots of reasons. Biggest reason is they cut through the very thin surface hardening and will compromise reliability or safety. A few smiths know how to re heat treat the parts but most don't.

Giessele.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    If the rifle is new, put a few hundred rounds through it and the trigger will improve. It won’t hurt to have your ‘smith look at it. A little polishing may be all that’s needed but I wouldn’t let him file on it because once you break through the surface hardening, the part is essentially ruined unless it’s re-heat treated. That would end up costing you more in the long run.

7. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    The ALG ACT with a JP yellow trigger spring and JP red hammer spring can be had for $75. While not as sweet as a Geissele, the ACT is as good as it gets with a standard trigger. It is as good or better than any smith tuned stock trigger and likely mich more reliable.

8. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
  9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    For a precision hunting rifle I'd actually recommend the SSA-E which will give a little crisper break than the SSA which Giessele describes as having a break like bending a carrot.

I have both and I put the SSA-E on my 6.8 deer gun. Its about $10-20 more depending on where you buy one. PSA has them on sale regularly.

10. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Another great option.

11. glockdoc21

glockdoc21

May 19, 2007
  12. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    Gonna give the geissele a good hard look. As well as a Timney, and JP. My AR 10 had a JP 3 lb in it and it was literally awesome. As I stated earlier this rifle is going to be used almost exclusively as a coyote rifle. If I were to go with a Timney, or Chip McCormick drop-in, would you guys go with a 3 or 4lb pull? I have recently moved to a fairly rural area and there is only one gunsmith around here that has a good reputation, however, he hasn't called me back so I may just buy a drop in. And I hear that the drop-ins are very close to a bolt action. I am leaning 3lb, if I go drop-in, but have never shot a drop in AR trigger, so the 4 pound might be better or more durable for a small pin AR15. Thoughts guys? Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  13. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

Jan 10, 2006
    Bunker in the Midwest
    As far as triggers go you cannot beat a a geisselle trigger, drop in or gunsmithed it doesn't matter. Id go with a 4lb trigger for predator hunting applications.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I have been running a Timney 3# in a lower I built for a 6.8 SPC
    Love it,........highly recommended!

15. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    He said he doesn't have a lot of money for a trigger.

I have four Geissele triggers myself, and will never put anything else into an AR that I own. But they are kind of expensive.

16. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    But a decent AR trigger runs about $160-200 when its all said and done. That's the facts jack!

17. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

Jan 10, 2006
    Bunker in the Midwest
    He's considering going with a chip or timney as well, Their not cheap either. Midwayusa has chips for 180 and timney for 210.

18. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    +1 to the Timney 3lb trigger! Perfect for any target or hunting AR.

I've got one in my varmint AR, and just put one in my go to rifle, GREAT triggers.