close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Human Universal Load Carrier system.

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by Blitzer, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Blitzer

Blitzer
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Cat

Very cool! :cool: :supergrin:

[quote]

HULC-ing Out in Afghanistan

In case you didn't see this elsewhere, Lockheed Martin recently unveiled a down-scale competitor to the exoskeleton wars. At the February Association of the US Army symposium, LockMart introduced its Human Universal Load Carrier system.
    According to LockMart, the HULC can help a Soldier carry up to 200 pounds "with minimal effort."
    HULC transfers the weight from heavy loads to the ground through the battery-powered, titanium legs of the lower-body exoskeleton. An advanced onboard micro-computer ensures the exoskeleton moves in concert with the individual. HULC’s completely un-tethered, hydraulic-powered anthropomorphic exoskeleton design allows for deep squats, crawls and upper-body lifting with minor exertion.
    Look, you know I'm partial to Troy Hurtubise's Trojan II, but I've got to hand it to LockMart -- the HULC seems to take the middle ground between being a full-on exoskeleton and a passive assistance device to help carry heavy loads. I can see 240 gunners and mortarmen eating this thing up, trudging through the Afghan hills a lot more easily than before. Maybe the HULC could give planners more options by making organic indirect fire support a viable alternative for platoons in the bush.

<table *********="" #ffffff="" width="545" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="contenttext" style="padding: 10px;">

Obviously it looks a bit ungainly in the video, but in the end, if it does what the video shows and with a few ergonomic tweaks, we'll see a workable option in the field soon. With all the news about load stress on Soldiers' bodies these days, why not use technology to ease the burden?
    -- Christian[/quote]</td></tr></tbody></table>