close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Human Equivalent of Dog Food?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    My dog's always excited to eat his dog food. "Oh boy!" he says. "Dog food again!" What's the human equivalent of dog food? Preferably with these dog-food-like attributes:

- Good enough you wouldn't mind eating it frequently.
    - Has most of the nutrition you need (carb protein and fat)
    - Stores a reasonably long time in a dry state
    - Ready to eat
    - Economical.

Dog food is basically a protein-rich cereal. But AFAIK, there is no equivalent of "chicken cereal" for humans, such as "ChickenOs" or "MeatyFlakes."

Seems to me the closest we humans have to this, is protein energy bars. What am I missing? Why don't we humans have this advanced food technology?

:odie:

EDIT: Due to widespread misunderstanding of the original question, let me clarify: Dog food is only an analogy for a prepared, homogenous, ready-to-eat, low-cost food. The question pertains to food for humans.

I am:
    - not asking whether humans can/should eat dog food.
    - not asking if dog food is healthy for humans or dogs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Kozel

Kozel

Jan 16, 2007
    46.58N 121.75W
    Spam.

You REALLY do not want to know what dog food is made of. I wish I could tell you but you will puke all over your computer.

3. Trail mix. Use nuts, dried berries, and dried fruits for a decent nutritional balance.

4. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Really? I thought trail mix/gorp was good for quick energy and killing off the appetite, but nutritionally unbalanced with very high sugar (fruit) and very high fat (nuts). Perhaps I'm wrong. It would have some protein from the nuts. So, yeah, maybe that's as close as we get.

Spam's not nutritionally balanced at all! It scores some of the worst nutrition ratings possible. Rates a solid "F" at caloriecount.com for overall nutritional value, not just its calories.

I keep thinking there must be some sort of high-protein cracker available.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  5. Kaybe

Kaybe

Sep 30, 2009
    Soylent Green. That stuff is not so tasty, but it does the job.

6. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Exactly. I'm looking for Soylent Green.

Cannibalism by the 5th post. A record?

[​IMG]

7. There's always beans, particularly soybeans, but I'm not too sure they would be very palatable without reconstitution.

I think it would be good to graze on throughout the day, keeping harder to prep items that round out nutritional needs for meals.

8. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Jerky maybe, or those old "coast guard ration" bars perhaps?

Different approach; higher-end animal treats can be not bad. I used to eat these until my wife cut me off (after her friends saw me eating them one too many times):
    [​IMG]

Don't dismiss them offhand. Shelf-stable for over two years, tasted (to me) better than any crackers we'd have in the house, and the ingredient list reads like some yuppie organic food-snob's dream come true:
    That said, I never ate them as more than snack food, so no telling about any potential gastric issues if used large-scale or long-term.

9. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Actually dry dog food doesn't have a long shelf life. Maybe a year or so. Don't know about the canned stuff.

10. greenman19

greenman19

Nov 6, 2008
    central NC
    [​IMG]

if you can't find this we fed somolia with red beans and rice during the Clinton peacekeeping mission. it works.

11. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Found some high end dog crackers at Trader Joe's, read the list of ingredients, and it was: wheat, peanut butter, water, carrots, stuff like that (this particular cracker had no meat). I'm still vague on why the dog can eat my food but I can't eat his.

:dunno:

Agree with wjv, no way could dog food have a long shelf life with the fat (oil) it contains. But darned convenient.

Still curious why there really is no "bachelor chow" available: pour it out of the package and eat it, get all the nutrition you need. Flavor optional, the point is to stay alive. Here's someone contemplating a Bachelor Chow recipe.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  12. I Shooter

I Shooter

Dec 22, 2011
    Indiana
    Chili with beans is the closest thing for humans to dog food. Then I am told that some old people are eating dog food because because they don't have enough money for every thing. Me, I will go with the chili.

13. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    You referring to me and Quake?

I think the Dems dust off that "elderly eating dogfood" every damned election season that a R has the presidency, for as long as I can remember. Doesn't seem to ever be a problem when a D's in charge. I've noticed that the homeless also magically disappear as a topic when D's are in the Oval Orifice.

The gullibility of the Am public never ceases to amaze. I wish there were a stock called "Americans Understanding Political Cause and Effect." I would short that stock and make millions.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  14. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    I've got 3yo dry that is fine.Keep it chilled and away from air.Canned has a long shelf life,we are using 07 dated right now.'08.