Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

HughesNet Eval

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by clipper100, Oct 6, 2010.

1. clipper100

Dec 8, 2006
    Any Pros/Cons with HughesNet SAT service.

What happens durring storms? Nite time?

Thanks for your inputs.
  2. AmericanGunWorks

AmericanGunWorks In IL HELP ME

I would only consider this as your absolutely LAST resort. Very bad latency since you are on a sat.

Can you get wireless from any provider out there?

3. srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    Horrible latency (if you plan on online gaming forget it). Although technically broadband it's not all that much faster than dial-up.
  4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    If you are in a place where *nothing* else will work...

This will be the most expensive pain you will ever put yourself through.

The Salesman Is Not Your Friend. He will NOT be around to take your call after you sign the contract.

Back away from the contract... Just Back Away Slowly... and no one gets hurt. Namely U!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. W4CNG

Sep 19, 2002
    In the Gun Room
    Dial up is your friend out where you are. Unless you move into an area with DSL or Cable you will surf slowely.....
  6. I will consider satellite only if dialup was not available and moving was simply not an option.
  7. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Feb 11, 2002
    California Sierra Mnts
    I have no other option.

When it works - it is great.

When it is down/flaky - it sucks.

the worst of it is 420MB a day is your maximum download/upload bandwidth.

But the best dial-up I could get would wander between 9600-14400 baud, and more toward the lower end of the spectrum when I finally gave up. I could not file my taxes. Yes you read correctly - my connection was too slow to file my taxes.

I could get a T1 line for $300 a month. Can't afford that so I pay $80 a month for HughesNet.
  8. srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    Even a T1 is only 1.5Mb
  9. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.

10. This is about it. Same here.
  11. BlueSky is the same thing. They have a forum on their site and the users all rag on them. Unbelieveable.
  12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    I would not touch hughesNet with a ten foot pole.

This is their second go around with sat internet service. the first time they advertised unlimited intenet. Then they started throttling everyones internet if they felt they were on the net too much.

They got slapped with a class action lawsuit over it and they lost. They folded up and sent their subscribers a notice that services would be terminated in thirty days.

Now they are back but this time they put the limits and throttling practice in the agreement.