close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

HST cavity shiny??

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by outdoorsman44, May 5, 2011.

1. outdoorsman44

outdoorsman44

Apr 12, 2010
    CT
    Hey everyone,

I bought a case of 180gr HST (P40HST1), and I was looking them over and when I looked into the hollowpoint cavities, some had like a shiny cavity instead of the dark grey that they normally are. Has anoyone seen this before, and will it effect it's effectiveness?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Outdoorsman44

2. outdoorsman44

outdoorsman44

Apr 12, 2010
    CT
    C'mon guys, no one has some boxes of HST to look at for me?

3. awoodpd13

awoodpd13

Aug 14, 2009
    Georgia
    If I'm correctly envisioning what you're describing, then I have not seen it...can you post pics???:dunno::dunno:

4. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    My guess is you got some ammo straight from the factory. The lead didn't corrode on the surface. Just like when I cast lead, shiny and purty for a little while after casting but exposed to the air, moisture and etc over time it starts the corrosion process.

5. outdoorsman44

outdoorsman44

Apr 12, 2010
    CT
    Ya, that's what I was told. Once they oxidize a for a while, then they will turn more of a dull color.

6. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I was just looking at my 155gr HST's and they are not shiny. I have found that a Q-tip and some Flitz can get them looking back to factory new in no time.

I just think you got a box that has not set around very long, I have seen it before.

7. outdoorsman44

outdoorsman44

Apr 12, 2010
    CT
    If you put a Q-tip and some Flitz into the lead cavity it will make the dull color go to shiny? That's funny.

I agree, I think I just got some that are fairly new.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  8. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Any metal polish and some elbow grease. It will polish away the oxidation on the surface and leave you very shiny lead.

9. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh

Actually, I was only joking about polishing the hollow point.

10. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Don't you want your ammo to look its best?:tongueout:

Actually I polished some old .300savage rounds I had for years that oxidized and greened up with Flitz already. Boy they were purty when I was finsihed.:rofl:

11. Chuck54

Chuck54

Nov 8, 2007