Glock Talk banner

How'd I do?

6K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  SGT HATRED 
#1 ·
I've owned a few 1911's in the past but got them on trades. So today I bought my first one outright. I paid 600 for a springfield a1 milspec. It came with 5 mags all the original springfield gear and a crappy bianchi canvas holster. It shows some wear but nothing major. So how'd I do?

See less See more
#27 ·
Ahh thanks gecko... Do you know if it would accept novak style sights?
No it will not at this point, the cut in the slide is different (too small). If you send your slide to Novak they'll cut the bigger dovetail and install them for ya. I'm thinking Springfield custom shop would be able to do this as well becuase many of their model come with Novak installed.

*Note: Ask them how they address the removal of the parkerized finish in the new dovetail cut area. I don't know if they cold blue, re-parkerize or leave it bare.

#28 · (Edited)
I am thinking about a full length gide rod and extended grip safety. However I've seen pics of some and there is a gap. Anyone know if there is a specific model for this gun?
http://www.smithandalexander.com/ Smith & Alexander make the the proper radius (.220) for Springfield's but they are not drop in parts and need to be fitted. They have a jig available (about $20.00) to help with fitting. If you call them they are very helpful/friendly and may give you some idea of what to expect.

The gap ya see on some Springfields are from mod's using the wrong radius cut beavertail or just improper fitting.

NOTE: You'll have to bob your exisiting hammer or replace it as the spur will hit the upsweep of the beavertail.

#31 ·
Ahh thanks gecko... Do you know if it would accept novak style sights?
The rear sight cut is a GI as in for USGI sights. Any sight made to fit a GI dovetail should fit. The problem is the front sight.

It is a staked on sight that is neither the small or large tenon sight. It is pretty much a proprietary sight. The good news is that you do have options still.

You can...

A. Send it back to SA and have them install their high profile three dot sights on the slide.

B. Find a large tenon front sight that matches a USGI dovetailed rear sight, and file it (the tenon) to fit. Then stake it on.

C. This also involves a trip to SA. Have them re-cut the rear dovetail and cut a dovetail for the front sight. Then you can have any sights you want.

The cheapest option is shoot the gun with the sights as they are now, followed by option A. Option C while making a more versatile weapon is the most costliest.

You really only need to send the slide back for all sight work, though you may want to consider sending the gun and having a match bushing fitted. The gun will be combat accurate now, but a well fit bushing will wring out some more accuracy.

#34 ·
The sights are not too bad if you have good eyes. The GI style guide rod is no less accurate than the full length. The SA GI as you have, has been discontinued though maybe only temporary. I would hold on to it as is if I were you. If you get hammer bite then a beaver tail safety would be worth it. 600 was a little steep but the market for them will catch up to what you paid soon. SA will honor the lifetime warranty even though you're not the original owner.

#35 ·
One thing that we should take note of.

The GI or the Milspec both being good guns for the money are both forged. Forged frames and slides. The same price competitors all come with a cast lower. Not that that's a bad thing. Gunsmiths will be more than happy to work on a lower end Springfield. They make a great base guns for a custom job.

Personally I'll be leaving mine the way it is.
I have better guns but I dig the plain jane gun with none of the junk I don't want.

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've owned a couple 1911's with G.I. sights and I've always found it made it a bit easier to find the front sight if I opened up the rear sight notch just a bit with a needle file. Just be careful because if it's hitting straight you'll want to make sure to remove a little bit from each side of the sight notch to keep the front sight lined up right.
That being said, as a rule I always like something better then the G.I. sights if I have the option. IIRC I think I've seen sight upgrade options for the small tenon front sights before. Do a google on it and you might find a better set that'll fit into the dovetail and tenon you have now so you'll just need to get the front sight staked on and drift in the rear sight and you'll be good to go.

P.S.
Here's a couple options that I looked up on the Midway site for ya'. They do have an adjustable rear sight but the front tenon is the proper narrow style.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...ent-with-narrow-tenon-front-sight-steel-3-dot
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...-narrow-tenon-front-sight-steel-white-outline
I also found these at Brownell's if you want a fixed rear sight, they look pretty good and the price isn't too bad either.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...ow Tenon/Product/1911-AUTO-FIXED-SIGHT-COMBOS

#39 · (Edited)
Well I sold the GI. I put it up for trade but a guy offered 750.00 for it so I couldn't refuse.:supergrin: I found a Mil Spec model for 700.00 and picked it up. It has some wear and a cracked grip, but almost all the upgrades I wanted. Now I just gotta pick out which VZ grips I want!!!

#43 ·
Thanks! If you read my previous posts, I used to own one in stainless and loved it. As for custom work, I'll get an extended guide rod and someday have it refinished. Other than that I think it's perfect.

#44 ·
#47 · (Edited)
I would have said something along the lines of you being a cheap skate, but I ordered a pair of tan Hogues last night for just over 10 bucks.

I stuck a pair of the Hogue double diamond rubber grips on my Hardball gun a few weeks back. Pretty much because none of my wood grips would fit well without slipping around on the gun even with the grip screws tightened right down.

It's not that I despise rubber grips, I just despise black rubber on a blued or parked gun.
Anyway the black rubber grips fit well and didn't slide around. They also felt fairly aggressive without being tacky feeling. So I won't feel bad about putting a set of tan ones on my gun.

P.S. The most I have ever spent on a set of 1911 grips was 39.00 for a pair of Altamonts. For anyone that cares. MidwayUSA has lots of Hogue wood grips listed for under 30 bucks. A lot of them for just 19.99.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.