Glock Talk banner

How'd I do?

6K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  SGT HATRED 
#1 ·
I've owned a few 1911's in the past but got them on trades. So today I bought my first one outright. I paid 600 for a springfield a1 milspec. It came with 5 mags all the original springfield gear and a crappy bianchi canvas holster. It shows some wear but nothing major. So how'd I do?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It's a tad on the high side considering I paid 584 for a new stainless GI late last year.
This gun should have been around 500 or so, but they are hard to find and you did get 60 dollars worth of Wilson magazines. That last stainless magazine I am not sure of maybe PSI ACT.

What did the Bianchi holster look like?
If it were one of the nylon military flap holsters. They are quite expensive.

#4 ·
Well around here prices are pretty crazy right now. I looked on buds and they had em for 604 but were sold out. As for the holster just a crappy bianchi.
That other magazine doesn't have any markings besides GCC stamped on the left side.

#6 ·
Ah yes, the good old Bianchi Acu-mold. They are a half way decent cheap holster that retailed for around 30 bucks

At least one of the blued magazines is probably factory. Some are marked, some are not. Some magazines that came with my older Loaded models were ACT magazines from Italy. They are good quality.

My GI only came with one. It was unmarked other than a Pat. number on the follower.
I traced that back to Checkmate Industries.

I would say that 600 for your gun with a 30 dollar holster, 60 dollars worth of Wilson magazines and better than factory grips. You probably paid a fair price for a gun that is hard to find nowadays. I don't know who made the grips, but I like them. I don't have any idea who would have made a GCC marked magazine. You may be able to find a maker by looking at a Brownells catalog. They have several magazines sold under different names that are all from the same maker. It looks like an PSI ACT magazine but at the very least should have been marked ACT.

#7 ·
I am thinking about a full length gide rod and extended grip safety. However I've seen pics of some and there is a gap. Anyone know if there is a specific model for this gun?

#8 ·
The Bianchi Accu-Mold is made out of compressed foam material. It's a pretty decent economical holster. In its condition, probably worth maybe $20 at most. Used Wilson mags are probably about the same.

Anyway, congrats on the new toy. However, why do you want a full length guide rod? Guns with full length guide rods have function issues a lot more than guns without. Not to mention it's more of a pain in the ass to disassemble and reassemble.

#10 ·
I think you did pretty well. A little honest ware on a gun from use isn't a big deal, just adds character to it.
You can either shoot it "as is" or use it as a good, solid base to mod into something with a few more "bells and whistles", either way you can't beat a good S.A. 1911a1. Congrats.

#11 ·
You did good. Shoot the snot out of it, I would advice not getting a full length guide rod. When you get tired of the ratty finish after a few years of it banging around, send it off to W T Birdsong's outfit and get the Black T treatment (Mr Birdsong has passed away but his company is still going in Florence, AL).

#13 ·
What ya got there is a Springfield GI model (not Mil-Spec). The Mil-Spec has 3 dot sights, slanted slide serrations, lowered flared ejection port and beveled mag well.

The GI model is closer to the M1911A1 GI model our troops (like myself carried). $600.00 good? bad? depends where ya live. I paid $579.00 + tax 3 yrs ago in NY for my GI model (new).

The grips may not be original as the latest GI models have US on the grip centered between the grip screws. I didn't care for the look and swapped mine out for dbl diamond like yours.

If the sights are too small send only the slide to Springfield and have them install the Mil-Spec 3 dot sights (much better). Springfields lifetime warranty is transferrable so your gun is guaranteed for life if you have any issues, their customer service is great!

Good luck with your GI model and have fun shooting it! Congrad's

#21 ·
nice purchase for sure...
if you go with a full length guide rod youll end up using a bushing wrench for take down...
which is no big deal...
it looks like there is two wilson mags in there as well...hell thats like $80 right there...

#24 ·
Thanks all. A few years ago I traded my springfield mil spec that was nicely upgraded. I so wanted to recreate that pistol but couldn't find one locally. So I'm going the next best thing route... here's a pic of that beauty...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.