close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RichJ, Mar 21, 2012.

1. RichJ

RichJ

This is a hypothetical situation my wife and I were talkng about and had very different ideas about how to deal with it.

If you had your handgun out (for whatever reason) and your 4 year old son came up and tried to grab it while you were momentarily distracted and he was able to actually put his hand on it while you were holding it. What would you do?

My inital reaction would probably be violent to make a believer out of him and to remind him to never do that again. My wife of course thinks you should talk and explain why what he did was wrong ect.

What say you?

2. debbert

debbert

Education is the key, here. If you want to set a positive precedent for future training and appreciation for guns, you shouldn't use violence. I have to agree with your wife's stance on this.

3. RichJ

RichJ

Yeah, that came up in our discusion, but my point was this: If you are going to spank (yes we spank our children) a child for lesser infractions, and it seems like touching a firearm would be way worse than anything else he could do, why not wear him out good for doing something like that?

4. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

I agree. But OP you have a more pressing problem. One that some violence may be called for to fix.

"Distraction".

If you know someone who can be distracted while holding a gun in their hand, you need to go take it away from them right away. Forcibly if necessary.:tongueout:

5. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I can only put this in the context of my 4 year old daughter so YMMV.

She is already aware that touching our guns (and hers) is verboten unless she specifically asks first. Now, had she done what you described, I'd just have a sit down with her and I'm sure the issue would never come up again.

My other daughter on the otehr hand will probably be a whole different ballgame since she's pretty much the polar opposite of her big sis. Time will tell.

Greg

6. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

I'm with your wife. You want the kid to respect the gun, not be afraid of it. Next time he sees one, he'll be worried that you'll hit him if he does something wrong.

7. RichJ

RichJ

This is hypothetical remember. Suppose he was hiding under your chair and you couldn't see him or something?

8. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

In that case I do still believe that your wife and debbert nailed it; education is the key.

9. RichJ

RichJ

I've already introduced him to firearms and let him hold and aim my .22 rifle. I've also given him the talk about them not being toys ect. But children have been known to disobey and I want to teach him the lesson about never grab at a gun unless it's yours or someone hands it to you.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'm not against spanking. That's how I was raised.

But in this case I think education is called for first.
    Education of the child AND the parent.

If spanking is called for I think this parent should be the first one spanked.
    What the child did is what a normal child might do. What the parent did (momentarily distracted) with a gun is careless and stupid.

11. debbert

debbert

If it's hypothetical, then you have already been going through the many scenarios. As a responsible gun owner with children, it is your duty to prepare for and avoid those hypothetical scenarios, whatever they may be.

12. RichJ

RichJ

Ok, this is what me and the wife went round and round over. You would spank your child for talking back or breaking some other rule but you wouldn't spank your child for touching a gun when they were told previously to never do that?

13. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

Gotta agree with the woman in this instance, education is the key. You don't want the kid to think guns are bad in and of themselves.

14. debbert

debbert

What will your punishment be for momentarily becoming "distracted" around a child while you are armed?

I don't disagree with spanking, as I was also raised that way, but it seems like you were a participant in this bad behavior whether it was done willingly, or not.

15. RichJ

RichJ

Fair enough.

I ask because I'm really new to firearms education. My dad never talked to me or gave me lessons about handleing guns. They were always just there and what I know, I just sort of picked up by observation I guess. My dad always kept a loaded pistol under his bed. No trigger lock, no nothing. Whether he was home or not that S&W was always loaded and always in the same place. I could have picked it up at anytime but somehow I knew not to touch it even if my dad didn't explicitly say so.

16. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I think a lot of it goes with the situation. BUT if its in your hand and you are not paying attention then its your fault and not his. He may just be trying to get your attention to ask if he may see it. You are obviously ignoring Firearm Rule #2.

4years old is a rough age. They are just beginning to honestly comprehend rules. They will know rules and follow them, but not all can understand the consequences if they are broken.

I have no issue with spanking, I have maybe spanked my children 4 times in their 7 & 9 years of life. It isn't my first reaction. Not knowing how your conversation went with them about not touching the guns went the first time around I can't say which I would advocate, but each time you have them out, I would just give a reminder not to touch them.

If they proceeded to pick it up then they may get a swat and a stern reminder. I feel its a parents job to set the proper setting for handling firearms.

I've actually thought about setting them up one morning by leaving my UNLOADED (not even a magazine) G22 out and see what they do. They always wake up before me and I think it would be nice to see if its sunk in.

ETA: In no circumstance was this meant as an attack towards you. I realize its hypothetical. :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  17. RichJ

RichJ

I would think this would be a bad idea. There is no such thing as an unloaded gun. Even when the chamber is empty and even when the mag is out, it is still loaded. Leaving a "so called" unloaded gun for a kid to reach goes against pretty much everything doesn't it?

I get the intention but dissagree on the principle of it.

18. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Yeah bouncing it back in forth in my head keeps reminding me how irresponsible it would be, which is why I won't do it. I started my girls at 4/5 about what to do if they ever find a gun anywhere, and am pretty sure they get what to do and not to do.

19. debbert

debbert

I don't have kids, so I can't advise on the best methods of teaching responsible handling. Perhaps some of the other folks here can chime in.

I am a proponent of safety, though. I live alone, unless you consider 4-legged critters that don't have opposable thumbs, and I keep my guns locked up (unless I am carrying them on my person.

It is not the same world out there, as it was when you and I grew up. I don't think that kids can be expected to just "get it." Today, it's the responsibility of the parent to teach proper gun safety, and it's paramount to lock guns up around kids when not in use.

20. debbert

debbert