close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How would Glock know if you were shooting reloads?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mr00jimbo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I don't shoot reloads in 9mm through my Glock since I have a bunch of factory ammo in that size.

But I always hear that if somehow there's a problem, you're screwed since it's reloaded ammunition.
    Out of curiosity...how can the manufacturer tell if it's reloaded or not?

2. AustinTx

AustinTx

How would Glock know if you were shooting reloads?

You told them.

3. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Yeah. Telling the truth will always set you free... :whistling:

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

They'd have no earthy idea unless you told them.

There have been problems (and I"m talking guns blowing up type of problems) with factory ammo. So just because the gun is blown up, they can't say ammo. However, as a reloader, if I blew up a gun and suspected I did something wrong? Would no way try to get Glock to fix things for me in that case.

But something wrong with the gun other than a blown up barrel? Probably not the fault of ammo, and should be covered by them.

Everybody I know who shoots glocks in competitions reloads, and I have 5 buddies I shoot *with* that own glocks that reload. And know of lots of others.

5. JBnTX

JBnTX

Hush now, we don't need to talk about this where Glock can hear us.

:zipmouth:

6. M 7

M 7

I've always wondered about this.

Could it be possible that they'd be able to test any remaining unburned powder granules and see that a certain brand/type of powder has been used?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

simple, if it was factory ammo your problem would be with them.

8. sciolist

sciolist

You're a lot more "screwed" by not reloading.

I had a Glock rep over to the house earlier this year to discuss some problems with one of my guns. First words out of his mouth were that of course I reloaded, because I am a match shooter. That was immediately followed by an offer to expedite shipping to GA for any work I might need.

9. bub

bub Millennium Member

Simple, don't ask, don't tell, kinda like it used to be in the military. The main reason that Glock, and all other manufacturers I know of, forbid the use of reloads is liability. They don't know whether you are brand new to reloading and trying to make a 9mm perform like a .500 S&W, whether you are incompetent and screwed up your gun, or whether it was an honest mistake. It's easier for them to say "NO RELOADS AT ALL" than it is to try and figure out what happened. It also gives them a legal out if you were trying to make 9mm into .500 S&W and blow your hand off, so that you can't due them for their "obviously defective gun" instead of you trying to make the gun and cartridge do what it wasn't meant to do.

Having said all that, I have been told, both at several armorer's classes and by a Glock sales rep, that if the gun is used for LE and you blow it up on reloads, they will take care of it. This is more than likely to try and keep their reputation with LE. A lot of smaller Depts, like mine, cannot afford to shoot factory new ammo when training, so we use reloads by a local commercial reloader. In these circumstances, Glock will warranty and fix/replace an LE gun blown up with reloads. For Joe Blow walking into Glock's offices off the street with a blown up gun because of bad reloads, too bad for you. From reading sciolist's response, they will obviously do the same for someone who competes with their guns, too.

Bub

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would guess that the type of failure could be a clue at least as to whether it might be an ammunition related issue. I would guess at that point the chances are very slight that they would attempt any forensic analysis of any residue in the gun. I would also guess that the chances of any examination would go up substantially if Glock were made aware of injuries which might increase Glock's potential costs associated with the gun.

I will readily admit that this is merely a wild guess on my part.

11. Boox

Boox Just a Grump

Why would it matter? All I shoot is reloads, except for the 100 rounds I bought when I got the gun. Those cases have been used over a dozen times already...

12. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

If you have problems with a squib load or damage to the gun, they will most likely ask you for part number and lot number of the ammo. You would then have to lie to them or tell them you are shooting reloads and may or may not have that info...

13. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If this is a significant concern you should probably not shoot the reloads as you may injure yourself if things go wrong. Damage to the gun ought to be the least of your worries.

14. SARDG

SARDG

I think you've been watching too much CSI on TV.

Cheaper and easier for Glock to replace the gun and move on.

15. manonmars

manonmars Spaced Out

OK, I did some calculating...............

You;

Joined in GT 1999
    You have 466 posts in 13 years

That translates to;

35 posts per year, or 2.9871948717 per month

OR; .09957264957 per day.

So, "Having said all that".............

.......Your post was informative.

I can't wait until the end of the month, cuz that will be "ALMOST" time for your next post!!!:supergrin::supergrin:

16. JW1178

JW1178

Just for the record, I NEVER shoot reloads. I would t even know where to get then. What are these reloads you speak of? ;)

17. bub

bub Millennium Member

Funny! I think I like you!

Here's the story on my LOW post count. I used to post here a lot. I had a computer crash and lost all my bookmarks and everything else. It took me long enough to replace my computer that I had forgotten about Glock Talk until about a month or so ago, when I found it again. Up till then, I honestly don't think I'd been here for a good 8 years or so.

Bub

18. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Here's how it works.

If you are shooting manufactured new ammo Glock has a chance at getting the ammunition manufacturer to be responsible for the damage (double charge caused it, etc. etc.).

If you shoot reloads, and you KNOW it was the correct amount of powder because you measured it then Glock would have to cover the damage....sooooooo they put in a disclosure that all warranties are void if you shoot reloads.

Ta-Dahhhhh!!

BTW, I'm not just picking on Glock, they are not alone with this policy.

19. M 7

M 7

I never watch the show.

I was just asking a question. It's not implausible.

20. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

"How would Glock know if you were shooting reloads?"

Glock go boom!
    :animlol: