close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How well trained is your dog?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Willfulone, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Willfulone

Willfulone CCA Corvette

Curious as to how well trained your dog is...

I have a 5 yo English Chocolate Lab.

I am often told he is the best trained dog anyone has ever seen.

I bet he has 900+ hours of training.

Never runs, never bolts, stays in the yard when unattended

He does all the basics, in both verbal and hand signs.

He patrols, alerts, guards and attacks, all on verbal and
    hand signs and only if he is instructed

He is 100 percent off leash, and never goes more than 15
    feet from me unless I release him.

He can track and locate by scent.

He has absolutely no bad manners and obeys every command
    the first time.

He really is an amazing dog...

Just wondering how many other people have dogs that
    are fully/certifiable trained

Will

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

my dog has 0 hours of professional training and listened to everything I said. She is deaf now and still looks for what I am saying and directing her to. I can take her out front and she knows the boundary of my property and never deviates. So I am lucky.

I have friends and neighbors that have the worst mannered dogs I have ever seen and think they don't need a dog.

3. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

Wow! I'm deaf and I have a deaf cat. I would like to have a deaf dog someday.

4. Willfulone

Willfulone CCA Corvette

I did all the training for my dog.

Started with the basics when he was just a pup. I enjoy
    training him, part of my relaxation routine.

It just seems he never stops learning.

Well trained/behaved dogs are truly a treat...

Will

5. birddog1

birddog1

My 2 yr old German Shorthair is pretty well behaved. We have a fence around the back of the yard but not around the part closest to the house, she knows she can't leave the yard unless I go up front and give her the OK. She also knows she is not allowed to leave her crate until I give her the OK. No real formal training just repetition.

6. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

We always have 3. This question has always interested me.

Currently we have 10yr GSD, 4 yr Border and a 3 month Springer.

Generally I consider them well trained if they sit,stay and come on command (every time) I have never trained mine to do tricks (not against it but don't care)

Having said that, having heck of time house training the young Springer in the house training thing. Laying on my lap right now....good thing they are cute.

I always say they don't grow brain until 1 yr. GSD's have been different, kind of. They learn fast, but the crazy puppy stuff takes awhile.

7. NorthernAlpine

NorthernAlpine RLTW

My dog attacks anyone or anything that smells like patchouli.

[​IMG]

8. Sharkey

Sharkey

Very. Little training but I am repetitive and my pit mix is pretty well behaved. Off leash no issues and we can leave food out and she ignores it. Nothing is ever chewed on and she uses her dog door. She even camps with us with no issues. If I could only teach her to have courage.

9. cesaros

cesaros

My dog has 9 years formal training...and can sit/lay down.

as well as bite/hold suspects, stand-off, scout for people, and sniff out explosive odors.

He can also shake hands for a treat. :wavey:

10. milje

milje

My lab can sit, lay down, and shake. He also comes back to me on command.

He's also a jumper and has pretty good aim for a nut shot if you're not careful.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I wish i could have got mine as a pup. She was a stray rescue and hard headed, about 3 years old. It took work but it paid off.

That's awesome you did all the training. So few people seem to know how to train a dog and reenforce the training.

12. skorper

skorper harborrat

What is the secret to that "100 percent off leash" part? I was once given a mongrel who would shadow me everywhere I went and never strayed off the property. She tried to obey every command I gave her, even if it was something she didn't understand. She would just stop and look at me to try and read my intentions. She was about a year old and I was in transition at the time and was moving, and I gave her to someone else before she had a chance to bond with me too well.

I now have a male German Shepard, and he is pretty good. I haven't had a lot of time to work with him as far as training. Whether he comes back to me upon command depends on what mood he's in. When he found out he could outrun me, it was all over.

13. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I wish I knew. It took time to get her there, but once she realized she had it good at my house I never had any issues after. Anytime she started to get too far, I would call her back. I think age may have something to do with it too.

14. Red Stick

Red Stick

We have a 7 month old Australian Shepherd... smartest dog I've ever had. He's got all his basics down. We started working on eye contact and impulse control early on and it has been great for him. We've been learning new fun tricks lately like jumping over and through objects and weaving through your legs as you walk, going to try and master a hand stand one day. He's great off leash and most of the time has a rock solid recall but lately I am seeing a small amount of defiance but I guess that's just his age. I've worked with him steadily since we got him at 11 weeks old and think he's going to be a great family dog.

15. Berto

Berto woo woo

Social and temprament wise, I'm very happy with my APBT. He needs work with leash manners, loves to pull. It's an easy fix, but he doesn't get as much leash time as he should, just to and from the car and park.

16. idahoglock

idahoglock I'm Not Funny

I have a 14 year old chocolate lab that I've been training since he was 8 weeks old. He used to sit, stay, lay down, high five, rollover, and heel all by voice and hand commands.

Now he pretty much sleeps in the corner, snores as loud as a chainsaw, farts, barks at shadows and has a cantankerous disposition.

Damn good dog.

17. cesaros

cesaros

some of it is just how the dog is naturally...like your "mongrel". But you can get any flight risk dog to be loyal to your side, and not stray off.

Every flightrisk dog ive helped train gets to the point of being able to be let off leash through maturity and consistent training...as well as a strong rapport.

my Malinois is so loyal to me because we are very very close...and that only comes from TONS of play time, and TONS of training time (obedience, and work...but for a non service animal, just obedience training) They learn over time that you are the leader, and their place is next to you.

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

My coonhound will rotate and squeeze off a deathcloud in my face at exactly 3:06am every single morning. Figuring I'm up anyways, my GSD will take my space when I return from the bathroom after taking a leak like clockwork. Well trained dogs work in pairs. HH

19. BEER

BEER bad example

what is this "trained" you speak of??

i have a yard full of 100% purebred mutts that all came to me predisposed to make constant and copious amounts of very loud noise when anybody including family approaches the driveway gate. the 2 indoor mutts make even more noise when anyone inside the house so much as farts.

i have not ever, nor will i ever discourage these animals from this behavior. the dogs are serving their purpose as early warning systems and are earning their keep. they know my particular tones when i am just yelling at them to shut up ans when i am actually wanting them to shut up, and i know the difference in tones when they are barking just to bark ans when they are barking to alert me.

we have a system and while not perfect it has worked so far.

20. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

My dog is 11 years old. I have trained him to come and get me when it's supper time, come and get me when he has to go potty, to come and get me when he needs some hugging and personal time with me, to sleep all night in the bed with mom and me. He does not play with toys but supplies them for his friends when the Rottweilers, Akitas and Bulldogs come over to play with him.

He will travel with me in the car but has to go in his crate or he gets car sick. He spends one week every year in Northern Minnesota in the Chippewa National Forrest without a leash. I have him trained to accept every and all the treats I offer him for any inane reason.

He is the best. He is mine.