How to Tell if M1A1 is All Original

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by BamaAL24, Apr 15, 2013.

1. After seeing another post about someone trading in their grandfathers (seemingly) all original 1911, I've been thinking, as dangerous as that may be around these parts.

I have my grandfathers M1A1. It is something I absolutely could not part with. If it has to be lost in a boating accident, so be it. (That's what happens right?)

But, back on track, I assume its original. I don't know that he's done anything to it and he doesn't have the faculties to tell me at this point in his life. To satisfy my own curiosity, how/where could I look at this rifle to determine whether or not its bad any work done? Thanks guys/gals.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Artificial intelligence can be good. The Okie Corral Today at 5:05 PM
    I have 10 Glocks and lived to tell about it General Glocking Monday at 10:17 PM
    Let me tell you about my dad ! The Okie Corral Sunday at 6:06 PM
    Mystery Gun / Old Gun with Plugged Barrel.. Can anyone tell me what this is? General Firearms Forum Saturday at 9:48 PM
    Pentagon probing alleged distorting of war intelligence Political Issues Aug 27, 2015

3. 427

Show us some picts, please.

4. even a description.

5. M1A1 is the semi auto version of the M14.

They were made by Springfield Armory, the commercial company.

It should be fairly easy to determine which parts are factory, and unless your grandfather was a competitive high power shooter, it is probably all original.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

6. I believe you're thinking of the M1A.

M1A1 is the paratrooper version of the M1 Carbine... or maybe he has a tank?

7. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

M1A1 is also the military version of the Thompson SMG.
    There's also a WWII Flamethrower called the M1A1.

In military jargon, the term M1A1 can mean a lot of things.
    Pictures are required.

#6 JBnTX, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  8. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache
    Millennium Member

I don't believe that there are any all original military rifles out there, however some have a mix of military parts in them, but I could be wrong someone correct me...

9. Well folks, thanks for the replies so far. Unfortunately the rifle is not with me at school, so I'll have to wait to load some pictures. So until then, I guess we can let this stall out and I'll start a new one when I get the pictures.

10. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Is it an M1 carbine?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine

11. Butcher

Butcher NRA Life Member

12. It might help to identify the rifle if you knew when he was in the service..If it was WW II or Korea it is most likely a Carbine, similar to the one in the above pic...

13. Road Dog

Road Dog Senior Member
    Millennium Member

Sweet, I am no expert but it looks original to me. No bayonet lug, no adjustable rear sight, and its an Inland in a folding stock. Very nice.

RD

14. That pic was not from the OP, just an example...

15. It's very much like the example posted above. I would say exactly but I can't be sure without it sitting in front of me.

To answer another question, he served in Korea.

16. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache
    Millennium Member

Make damn sure it's not an M2 carbine, if it is you're toast

17. 427

There were two runs of M1A1s: Toward the end of the second run, it'll have the features of a late war Carbine. IIRC they were rebuilt for Korea.

The stock will tell the story, though.

18. Butcher

Butcher NRA Life Member

Believe it or not we found that m1a1 in a search warrant for a drug dealers house. He was keeping it in a friggin pillow case behind a basement refrigerator. Said, "I found it in an alley I swear!"

Yeah ok. Anyway, it's in a museum now

19. Ok, there are several firearms that bear the name M1A1. The only two that really make sense for you to have possession of is the paratrooper M1 carbine or the M1A1 Thompson. If it is the Thompson, then its illegal to own in all original condition because all original condition would mean capable of full-auto fire.