close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to suck at your religion

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Walt_NC, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Walt_NC

Walt_NC
    Expand Collapse

2. Vic Hays

Vic Hays
    Expand Collapse

Partly good and partially wrong. Just because the author has no faith does not mean that everyone else should share his faithlessness and not seek and find the Truth.

If there is no Truth there is no sense in faith.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
    11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
    11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing where he went.
    11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
    11:10 For he looked for a city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

#2 Vic Hays, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  3. jknight8907

jknight8907
    Expand Collapse

4. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

Faith gets in the way of finding the truth, it tells you that you can stop looking for the truth before you know if you have found it.

5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake
    Expand Collapse
    Rip Lips

The Nickelback one is hilarious. I also like the dogma at 5 and 25 "yeah and Jesus rode a velociraptor when he defeated jehovah's army of demon tiger monkeys".

6. Vic Hays

Vic Hays
    Expand Collapse

Open mindedness and understanding go a long way. Being secure in your beliefs goes a long way also.

7. Norske

Norske
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Analysis of the world-wide distribution of L1, L2, and L3 Mitochondrial DNA (Africa) versus L3 M-DNA (the rest of the entire planet) proves that all of mankind is not descended from Noah's family alone. :whistling:

What else did the Bible get wrong? :dunno:

Maybe........ALL of it?
    :faint:

#7 Norske, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  8. Vic Hays

Vic Hays
    Expand Collapse

Depends on whose data and studies you use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-chromosomal_Adam

In human genetics, Y-chromosomal Adam (Y-MRCA) is the most recent common ancestor (MRCA) from whom all living people are descended patrilineally (tracing back only along the paternal lines of their family tree). Recent studies report that Y-chromosomal Adam lived as early as around 142,000 years ago [1], older studies estimated Y-MRCA as recent as 60,000 years ago.[2] All living humans are also descended matrilineally from Mitochondrial Eve who is thought to have lived earlier about 190,000 - 200,000 years ago. Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve need not have lived at the same time.

9. GreenDrake

GreenDrake
    Expand Collapse
    Rip Lips

LOL, say WHAT?

10. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

How does this do anything to substantiate the Flood/Noah account? This is just the most recent individual that all living humans can be traced to, he was neither the only person alive at that time nor did he necessarily live at the same time, much less in the same place, as the most recent common female ancestor.

11. Vic Hays

Vic Hays
    Expand Collapse

Glad you asked that question. Think hard.

How many people were on the ark? Noah and his family. All of the people on the ark were descended from mitochondrial Eve. All of the people on the Ark produced descendants from Y chromosome Adam who was Noah.

They did not live at the same time and yet they were the ones that can be traced genetically as the male and female ancestors of humanity.

12. GreenDrake

GreenDrake
    Expand Collapse
    Rip Lips

Uh, Vic....there was no Ark, my friend. Sorry to burst your bubble, there was no flood either, and Noah didn't build it when he was 450 years old.

13. Vic Hays

Vic Hays
    Expand Collapse

How long have you been around? Did you see it happen or not happen?

14. High-Gear

High-Gear
    Expand Collapse

Its not possible. Two of every animal and insect from the whole planet, diverse food and water requirements, removal of waste material, fresh and salt water life both existing in the same water.

15. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Sometimes. Depends on if your faith is that all the available evidence points toward what you want to believe or not.

That happens more often than you might think.

16. Norske

Norske
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Actually, there probably was a "Noah", who had a family, and who had a boat, who survived a major flood that killed each and every other human being the Noah family ever knew.

The inundation of the Black Sea.

About 7,500 years ago.

By the time they came ashore near Mt. Ararat, they thought the world had ended.

But, it was just an exaggeration of their own story when it was finally written down, thousands of years after the actual event.

About the "year" thing. I think that the Bible makes reference to time intervals in both years and seasons.

But in modern translations, "seasons" is mistranslated as "years" so those figures are exaggerated by 4

Anytime you see an outrageous so-called "life span" in the Bible, divide it by four and it will probably look closer to a more normal human life span.

#16 Norske, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  17. High-Gear

High-Gear
    Expand Collapse

So he was 110 when he built the boat?

18. Woofie

Woofie
    Expand Collapse
    Disirregardless
    CLM
    1. Project Mayhem

I've read on this board somewhere before that discrepancy is due to differences in the calendars used, but even using the Old Kingdom calendar from Egypt would put Noah at about 96 years old against the 110 you have.

Maybe someone else knows more about ancient calendars than I do, which really wouldn't be much to brag about.

19. GreenDrake

GreenDrake
    Expand Collapse
    Rip Lips

yeah but Noah is also to have purportedly lived to be 950 some odd years old, he was just middle aged when he built his magical boat. The stuff people believe and still function as human beings amazes me sometimes.

20. GreenDrake

GreenDrake
    Expand Collapse
    Rip Lips

Yes, I was there. It didn't happen.