close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Discussion in 'Michigan Glockers' started by Getwild2, May 10, 2007.

1. Getwild2

Getwild2
    Expand Collapse
    Mac Aficionado

I have a G19 that my wife and I bought that we decided was not a wise purchase at the time. We are selling this gun, possibly to someone locally and wanted to know what all we needed to do this. We did not proceed with registering the firearm because of the intent to sell and I bought it with my MI CPL so there is no "green card".

What do you recommend? Should the other person have a purchasers permit, should we do it at a police station, etc??

Thanks for your help!!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Tallbear

Tallbear
    Expand Collapse

Was the portion of the RI-60 sent into the State police when you bought it?

1. You need to take the gun in and get your "green card".

2. buyer "MUST" have a purchase permit or RI-60

3. Make out a bill of sale with firearm serial number and buyers info.

3. Getwild2

Getwild2
    Expand Collapse
    Mac Aficionado

Yes, the RI-60 was sent in to the State Police. I talked to the buyer and he mentioned I would need to go register it (get the green card). He went and got his green card already too. Looks like I'm good to go after registering it, thanks so much!!! :thumbsup:

P.S. What are my penalties for not registering it in 10 days? More like 30?? :shocked:

4. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao
    Expand Collapse
    Red White Blue

The only time requirement is for those using a purchase permit. Yours was bought using the pistol sales record/CCW, so there is no time frame. However, keeping it reasonable would be a good idea.

5. alwayshear

alwayshear
    Expand Collapse

P.S. What are my penalties for not registering it in 10 days? More like 30?? :shocked: [/B][/QUOTE]

I think you mean "safety inspection" ;) , but I have waited a month before without a problem. The local "safety inspection" hours are not very accommodating. Three hours, two days a week! Then they wonder why there are so many people there at one time! :)

6. PDogSniper

PDogSniper
    Expand Collapse

Do a search in this forum. The police dept now has to do inspections and issue your green card during all regular business hours...

7. Getwild2

Getwild2
    Expand Collapse
    Mac Aficionado

My precinct is 24 hrs and issues permits and inspects at all hours.

8. alwayshear

alwayshear
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info! I will look into it.

9. douglasd

douglasd
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Wrong. No matter how you buy it (Purchase Permit or CPL) you still have 10 days to have it "Safety Inspected" and get your green card.

That is, unless it's changed in just the last couple months.

10. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao
    Expand Collapse
    Red White Blue

Wrong, right back at 'ya.

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwfaq2.asp

Hence the caveat, "However, keeping it reasonable would be a good idea." in my original comment.

11. douglasd

douglasd
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

I stand corrected. You are right. :embarassed:

I guess the reason I assumed it still had to be done in 10 days is that I thought it said so on the pistol sales record, which I get a white copy of. Also, I think the folks at the gun store said so.

I went back and looked at my sales record form, however, and it says no such thing. It says only that the SELLER has to send his copy to the State Police within 10 days, and that the pistol has to be presented for a safety inspection...but gives no time limit for the safety inspection part.

Thanks for the correction.

12. douglasd

douglasd
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Correct. The AG's opinion from last year says exactly that.

Here's a link to the Attorney General's Opinion, which carries the weight of law until such time as the Legislature passes a law saying otherwise.

AG's OPINION:

http://www.firearmsalliance.org/AGLetter7-17-06.pdf

It also states that they may NOT charge any fee for the Permit to Purchase of the Safety Inspection, except for Notary service, IF you choose to use THEIR Notary, which you don't have to do. Before I got my CPL, I took mine to my bank and had it notarized for free.

There are some other interesting things in the Opinion, also.

13. Criphunter44

Criphunter44
    Expand Collapse
    ALPHA BEAR

There is a Police station on the eastside that will only do a safety inspection on Tuesday's and Thursday's for 3 hours each of the days.
    I was 5 minutes early once and they made me wait the 5 minutes before they would give my forms to fill out. They also wait until 4 or 5 people are there before they will even look at a weapon.

14. douglasd

douglasd
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

That's not legal anymore. I would sue...you will win for sure, and they will pay your court costs. Seriously. The AG's opinion holds the weight of law until such time as the legislature makes the law more clear.

Show them the AG's opinion.

http://www.firearmsalliance.org/AGLetter7-17-06.pdf

15. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao
    Expand Collapse
    Red White Blue

Send a message to user 'gsbell', he works with SAFR (www.firearmsalliance.org) and has been working long and hard to whip delinquent cop shops into line as far as days/hours they will do purchase permits and registration.

16. PDogSniper

PDogSniper
    Expand Collapse

+100... Gregg is a great guy and worthy of a battle... I've shot and trained with him so no one on the other side should cut him short... He know's the laws...

17. Criphunter44

Criphunter44
    Expand Collapse
    ALPHA BEAR

I went to the SAFR website: www.firearmsalliance.org , went to the contacts and did not find 'gsbell' in the contact list. Also went to different links and each time I was routed to " page cannot be found". Is there any other contact?

Thanks..

18. Criphunter44

Criphunter44
    Expand Collapse
    ALPHA BEAR

So according to the AG's opinion, the police station cannot charge a fee for the inspections, (which by the way the do)is that what I am interrupting?

19. PDogSniper

PDogSniper
    Expand Collapse

Do a searce here. Although I haven't seen him post for a while he use to frequent this site often...

20. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao
    Expand Collapse
    Red White Blue

I was implying that he was a user of this site. Do a search for his name here in the MI section.