Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

how to score antlers

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by shoottokill, Jan 5, 2007.

1. shoottokill

shoottokill great ******

May 1, 2006
    phx, az
    after two years of trying to get a mule deer in az i finally shot one a while back it is a 5x6 (not including the eye gaurds) it is nearly perfectly semetrical except oviously one point. it has antlers like a white tail the taxidermist said " it goes foward like a white tail not like a mule deer.) anyways i just just like to know how to score it thanks. also post what would be a good score
  2. Here's how Boone and Crocket score them:

Here's some more instructions:

As for what's a good score?

I don't know, I've seen a lot of references in magazines to 170+ and 200+ deer antlers. I have a nice 10 point rack hanging on the wall. I shot it about 18 year ago in Minnesota. I finally measured it a few years ago, I thought it was a nice big deer, others have commented on it as well. IIRC it measured about 115".

3. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    Vafish's links will tell you how to do it. Basically it is a measurement of total inches of horns + spread. Unfortunately they then start to subtract for differences make things more complicated than need be.

Two different divisions within the records. Typical and Non-Typical. To make book in Whitetail Typical division you have to have a net dry score of 170. To make book in Whitetail Non-Typical you have to hit 190.

Mule deer minumums are 190 and 230.

As Vafish says, what most of us think of as a really good deer don't add up to much in the B&C system sometimes. I shot the deer in the attached picture several years ago. He is my best Whitetail and I am very proud of him. He scored in the high 120's.