close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How to move or drag animal

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Tvov, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    So, it's a successful hunt, you've done the field dressing. And you are 1/2 mile (or mile) from a road - far enough that it is going to take awhile.

Think of a larger animal, large deer or black bear.

How do people move/drag animals? Tarp? Ropes / straps around legs? Just grab and go? Carry?

Son and I haven't been successful (yet), but last weekend we were going over ideas on how to get an animal out of the woods. We had ropes, straps, and a tarp with us (actually in the truck) and planned on figuring out what was best to use depending on how far we were from the house or a road.

I am curious how other people have done this.

Oh, and using an ATV is cheating... lol! (we don't have access to one at this time)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. Hoss

Hoss

Mar 14, 2009
    Southeast MI
    I have one of these:
    http://www.cabelas.com/game-carts-carriers-deer-sleighr-transport-sled.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03003579&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=82185DCC-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=22729283064&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:adType=pla&mr:keyword={keyword}&mr:ad=5855069784

Works well.

3. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I am a big person. The deer I use to shoot were fairly big, but......

I usually just toss a rope around it's neck and drag it out of the woods. This keeps the antlers from getting caught up in stuff.

I will say knowing your woods is a must. I tend to hunt multiple properties. I was successful on one and it took me most of a day to get out of the woods because I chose the wrong path with multiple trees laying across it. I would have been much better off going straight down the hill and sloshing it out dragging it down the creek until a bridge. Where I could come pick it up.

4. F350

F350

Feb 3, 2005
    The Wyoming Plains
    Depends on the state and the requirements for identifying species and sex.

In Indiana, Iowa and Missouri where I have lived and hunted the animal must remain intact, here in Colorado you may section the animal for transport as long as you follow identification regulations.

That said I also have a game cart, but they can be be heavy and some what cumbersome. Many years ago I discovered it is quite easy to drag a deer on snow, reduced friction between deer and ground. So I usually carried a small heavy duty tarp, my favorite had one side aluminiumized and it slid across the ground quite easily. The key is to reduce the ground friction, I have seen one guy using one of those plastic sled/toboggans, have also seen silicone "drag sheets" for sale in some hunting catalogs recently.

Tie forelegs up around head, make multiple loops between head and your shoulders so you can wear like a pack and slightly raise the head and go.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  5. The non cheating ways I have done it are old school. Elk quarter it and multiple trips on a pack or a horse. Deer and such dragging it is ok if it's not too big. A 200 lb Deer loses around 40 lbs with field dressing. I have dragged them with rope and it works but the hide can get damaged if you want to tan it. I prefer to wrap it an a tarp and it slides better too. The worst are pigs. Short legs and a heavy, prickly body. I assume bears are the same with short legs vs torso. The coat is thicker so they should drag pretty well

Sent via Mental Power

6. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    Thanks for all the quick responses! Right now Son and I are pretty much planning on using the old tarp and ropes. We hope to find out how it works this fall...

Maybe we'll invest in one of those flexible "sleds". I hope we'll have that "problem"!

7. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

May 22, 2002
    Portage, MI
    I almost never had to drag more than 100 yards. grab the back feet and go!

8. cart
    atv
    bike
    2 people and stick

I 've used all of the above and then some, deer are not very big ( more so in FLA ) and easy to drag out. You typically have 4 long legs attached to a body about the size of a big suitcase :cool:

9. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    I hunt in the deep woods / Ozark mountains .... first thing I do is shed my extra clothes and get the deer dressed out. Second thing is, if you have a tarp, put the deer on it. :) I usually just find a stick I can tie a strong rope to. One end of the rope has a slip knot that goes around the deer's head. Other end of the rope ties of the middle of the stick. Grab the stick like a handlebar and pull the deer out. Remember, take breaks often... Don't give yourself a heart attack pulling the deer out! Take your time, take breaks often..... You'll be there before you know it!

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    First, you don't get in a hurry. I've drug a deer up a mountain I could barely climb, but it took a couple of hours to go a couple of hundred yards. On more level ground, drag a little and rest a little. A rope is good and I suspect one of those drag handles you can use on the rope would be good too. A tarp? Not so much - the animal slides better without it on most ground.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  11. Kingtubby

Kingtubby

May 31, 2012
    Depends on the situation I suppose, but if Im looking at a long haul, I will just quarter the thing as needed and pack it out on my back. Depends on what animal it is I suppose, antelope deer, elk, moose, etc. Sometimes quartering is the only option.

Ive found the best method begins with an old exterior frame backpack. These can be found at surplus stores for cheap as theyve gone out of favor in the backpacking world. From there modify it to meet your game packing needs. Bring extra rope to moor it, tarp to contain it, and expect multiple trips if you are by yourself.

12. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Since most of our "hunting country" looks like this,

[​IMG]

we have a motto: "The best hunter isn't the one that brings home the biggest rack, it's the hunter that shoots his closest to the road"

I have an old Forest Service pack board with canvas on it and "eye-bolts" Quarter it, and a diamond hitch, and off I go.

13. 2@low8

2@low8

Sep 18, 2009
    Rather than rope I use something similar to seat-belt material. It is easier on your hands, can be sling over your shoulder, etc. Cheap to buy by the foot at Lowes, HD, etc.

14. KingWalleye

KingWalleye

Jan 6, 2011
    I use an old plastic snow sled. It glides pretty well on grass and of course, it is a dream on snow.

15. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    I guess the OP needs to let us know if he's able to go "back to camp" or "back home" to get something to drag the deer OUT with.... or if he's meaning "how to people get the deer out of the woods WITHOUT going home first"

:)

... or do you carry a slowsled with you as you sneak through the woods? :p

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  16. KingWalleye

KingWalleye

Jan 6, 2011
    I mostly hunt from treestands. The farthest I've had to go to my truck to get the sled is a mile on flat terrain.
    I am a little guy so the extra walking is still much easier than dragging a deer without it.

17. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    10/4... Understood. And it doesn't matter HOW big a guy u are... If you can go back to get help or a tool to help you drag, it's a good idea to do it. On the other hand, some people and situations don't have that option...

18. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    We should be close enough to the truck to go get something to use, which is what I am planning. The snowsled idea sounds like it would work great, depending on the terrain.

19. margo

margo

Jul 19, 2000
    Savannah, Ga USA
    We used to use a game cart, which means go back to the truck to get cart, then go back to the animal to cart out. Animals were 2 miles or less when using this.

Now I have a quad but havn't had the opportunity to drag anything out.

20. aaronmj

aaronmj

Dec 22, 2010
    Argyle, NY
    Try a deer drag.

http://www.cabelas.com/game-carts-carriers-hunters-specialties-deluxe-deer-drag.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02836043&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=BF6FD0CB-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:ad=5855069784&mr:keyword={keyword}&mr:filter=22729283064