close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

how to keep your shotgun from rusting?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dc2integra, Feb 1, 2010.

1. dc2integra

dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    Ive been reading alot on these forums of people talking about rust on there shotguns i just purchasd my mossberg ill be getting it in a few days just wondering on how to prevent that happening to miy shotgun

2. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Your receiver is going to be aluminum so it is not an issue. Just keep the barrel and other parts clean and protected with a good quality gun oil. There are some very advanced potectants out there and the guys will jump in with the ones they use. I use Rem Oil, however, that does not mean it is the best.

3. TACC GLOCK

TACC GLOCK SEMPER FIDELIS

Aug 2, 2009
    South Florida
    I use straight CLP. I have never had a problem, just soak them down when they get put away.

4. Pepiot

Pepiot

Feb 18, 2007
    The Shop
    +1. I have the 870 express that it seems a lot of people have problems with rusting. I've had the gun for 3 years, use around salt water quite often and never had a problem.

5. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

May 8, 2004
    sticks
    Even with a brand new firearm one can usually spray the barrel down and have a LOT of rust appear on a white cleaning rag. I usually work the new steel components a great amount to get this initial corrosion off entirely.

It's not uncommon for a cleaning rag to look like this upon the first cleaning-
    [​IMG]

Also, a shotgun with a ventilated rib is slightly more difficult because of the small open spaces between the rib and the barrel. I usually wet down corner pieces of rag and work them back & forth like dental floss.
    [​IMG]

I use Tri-Flow mostly because I love the smell and it seems to work very well. We were issued CLP in the Cavalry and it's always made me nauseous.
    [​IMG]

6. Get the steel parts dipped like us waterfowl hunters do. There are plain finishes out there. The cats dupa!!!!

7. Tederrific

Tederrific

Mar 21, 2001
    Probably work
    CLP, especially on the inside of the barrel and chamber.

8. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    Only rust problem on my Mossberg was my heat shield.

9. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    There is no shortage of good gun oil out there for a discriminating gun owner... Although probably not the very best, Rem oil is more than qualified to protect a firearm... I'll also say that in My 25 years of owning and caring for My firearms, I have never had any rust develop on any of My guns and all I use 95% of the time is WD-40... Just take pride in their health and be thorough, and just about any oil will do the job after that...

10. Ljay

Ljay Micky's Packin

Nov 2, 2006
    Ohio

I like Rem oil, I think this is better, It goes on very smooth, and when dries it gets a little thicker and stays on, does not rube off easily

[​IMG]

11. Puppy

Puppy

Nov 12, 2006
    I've been using Rem Oil w/teflon for years, good stuff IMHO.

12. there are alot of good choices in gun oil out there. Rem Oil will work as will all the other brands other posters have listed. I like tetra though, and FP-10, or Slick 2000. YMMV