close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how to keep your shotgun from rusting?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dc2integra, Feb 1, 2010.

1. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

Ive been reading alot on these forums of people talking about rust on there shotguns i just purchasd my mossberg ill be getting it in a few days just wondering on how to prevent that happening to miy shotgun

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

Your receiver is going to be aluminum so it is not an issue. Just keep the barrel and other parts clean and protected with a good quality gun oil. There are some very advanced potectants out there and the guys will jump in with the ones they use. I use Rem Oil, however, that does not mean it is the best.

3. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

thanks what about hoppes?

4. TACC GLOCK

TACC GLOCK
    Expand Collapse
    SEMPER FIDELIS

I use straight CLP. I have never had a problem, just soak them down when they get put away.

5. frankmako

frankmako
    Expand Collapse

good gun oil with work.

6. Pepiot

Pepiot
    Expand Collapse

+1. I have the 870 express that it seems a lot of people have problems with rusting. I've had the gun for 3 years, use around salt water quite often and never had a problem.

7. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame
    Expand Collapse
    LSWCHP +P

Even with a brand new firearm one can usually spray the barrel down and have a LOT of rust appear on a white cleaning rag. I usually work the new steel components a great amount to get this initial corrosion off entirely.

It's not uncommon for a cleaning rag to look like this upon the first cleaning-
    [​IMG]

Also, a shotgun with a ventilated rib is slightly more difficult because of the small open spaces between the rib and the barrel. I usually wet down corner pieces of rag and work them back & forth like dental floss.
    [​IMG]

I use Tri-Flow mostly because I love the smell and it seems to work very well. We were issued CLP in the Cavalry and it's always made me nauseous.
    [​IMG]

8. dorkweed

dorkweed
    Expand Collapse

Get the steel parts dipped like us waterfowl hunters do. There are plain finishes out there. The cats dupa!!!!

9. Tederrific

Tederrific
    Expand Collapse

CLP, especially on the inside of the barrel and chamber.

10. nastytrigger

nastytrigger
    Expand Collapse
    Mediocre Member

Only rust problem on my Mossberg was my heat shield.

11. K.Kiser

K.Kiser
    Expand Collapse

There is no shortage of good gun oil out there for a discriminating gun owner... Although probably not the very best, Rem oil is more than qualified to protect a firearm... I'll also say that in My 25 years of owning and caring for My firearms, I have never had any rust develop on any of My guns and all I use 95% of the time is WD-40... Just take pride in their health and be thorough, and just about any oil will do the job after that...

12. Ljay

Ljay
    Expand Collapse
    Micky's Packin

I like Rem oil, I think this is better, It goes on very smooth, and when dries it gets a little thicker and stays on, does not rube off easily

[​IMG]

13. Puppy

Puppy
    Expand Collapse

I've been using Rem Oil w/teflon for years, good stuff IMHO.

14. sigman69

sigman69
    Expand Collapse

there are alot of good choices in gun oil out there. Rem Oil will work as will all the other brands other posters have listed. I like tetra though, and FP-10, or Slick 2000. YMMV