close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

how to change out sights on a handgun

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by raven11, Apr 17, 2010.

1. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    i have a couple of handguns i want to install night sights on, and finding a gunsmith here is becoming a pain

what tools do you use to change out sights on handguns? i know you need a sight pusher, but do GT'ers use any brands in particular?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
    I use P500 universal sight tool, it works great for 1911's. and different handguns with dove tails.

1911club#410

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    Raven, where are you at here in the Peoples Republik of IL ?
    Might be able to help.

uncle albert

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  4. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    I'll check my sources, mabye I can find you somebody.
    A lot of the IPSC shooters are also 'smiths.

uncle albert

5. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    thanks for the assistance, :wavey:
    heck i would love for someone to show me how its done also, I'm still a learner when it comes to installing parts on a handgun, and no matter how many youtube videos I watch I still have a feeling i might break something

6. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    Whatever happened to the old fashioned brass drift and a hammer? Done both my G22 and 27 this way. No problem.

7. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Apr 8, 2009
    CA
  8. pangloss9

pangloss9

Mar 2, 2009
    middle TN
    I've gotten sights off before, but I wasn't able to get the new ones back on. Had to take the pistol in for a visit with the gunsmith. I recently removed the sights from my new G17 and haven't worked up the courage to try putting sights on again yet. I have shot the gun some without sights, and found out that out to about 5 yards, I can shoot almost as well without them. Anyway, I'm torn between trying to drift the on by hand and ordering a sight pusher. I should probably just order the sight pusher since there are at least two more Glocks after this that I want to put new sights on. Sigh. Anyway, here is a link to the pusher I would buy. Please note that this is for sights with vertical sides (like Warren Tacticals).