close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how to carry rifle mags

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by imaguy3, Sep 25, 2011.

1. imaguy3

imaguy3
    Expand Collapse

So I'm finally going through the rifle class and need to figure out how I'm going to carry my extra rifle mags. Speaking with the other guys going through with me, it seems most are picking up an external Molle carrier, throwing old vest panels in it, a couple mag pouches on the outside and calling it a day... The other "popular" option is using a drop down leg rig to carry a couple mags. In either case, it would be something that has to lay in the trunk and can be easily put on when deploying the rifle...

The place in town with the gear I'm looking at is a Mil Surplus store and they have a 24 hour return policy... so I'd hate to get one thing, figure out it doesn't work for me, and not be able to return it... I'm just trying to get a good idea first of what might work best for me...

I'm leaning more towards the thigh rig for several reasons. First is cost, $30 bucks vs. $150. Secondly, how much "extra" protection will the old panels provide against a rifle round if they're just IIIA anyway, so it seems to me you're adding a lot of weight/bulk (remember I'm wearing my regular vest already) for really not much extra protection... Also it seems like the vest could get in the way of a lot on the belt?

For those of you who carry a rifle, how do you do it and what are the pros/cons?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. RVER

RVER
    Expand Collapse

How many 30 round mags are you planning on burning thru? The left back trouser pocket easily holds two... Not "tacticool" but it's pretty quick to put into the pocket as your grabbing your rifle and very quick on the reload.

3. ClydeG19

ClydeG19
    Expand Collapse

If the S ever HTF, I have an outer vest with both an extra rifle and pistol mag in it. I figure I'll toss an extra rifle mag in my cargo pocket and head into the fray. Barring a Beslan style event, I should be able to take care of business with 84 rounds of 5.56x45 and 61 rounds of .40. Hell, I get bored at the range after that much.

4. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

I would put cost lower on the list. $150 is nothing if it saves your ass on a crappy day.

Also, you may or may not be facing a rifle. It may be a MWAG call where its some Banger with a .380 and in that instance, that extra vest may save your bacon for any number of reasons.

That said, I have a 30 round may in my gun and 20 rounder on top of my patrol bag in a pouch. I grab that along with my rifle. It goes in my cargo pocket.

Done.

5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

I've got a 20 rounder on my belt and a three magazine Safariland subload that I assembled from parts. There are other mags in the bag. I'll try to snap a picture later...it cost me about $100 to put it together, but it beats the hell out of the cheaper nylon one it replaced.

6. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

That has been my option. A go-bag in the trunk is nice, but for grab and use a spare mag in the back pocket is a pretty good combination.

7. imaguy3

imaguy3
    Expand Collapse

Cochese, sorry the list wasn't in any particular order, just how I typed it... I understand it won't always be up against a rifle, but my current vest stops most handgun rounds, I'm just concerned about the extra bulk, does it hinder more than the extra panels help?
    The cost is more of a "do I really want to spend the extra money to be cool like the other guys if it doesn't really help me?"

They are issuing us 3-30rd magazines, so I figured one in the gun and two backups.

Rver, I played with putting the mag in my back left pocket and didn't mind it, but you mentioned "trousers". Assuming you don't mean uniform pants, the one is a tight fit...

and I wish we had cargo pockets. We've been lobying to try to get them but the Chief hates the look...

8. razdog76

razdog76
    Expand Collapse
    Heavy Mettle

I used a saw gunner bag (holds 6 AR mags), and attached a molle shotgun shell holder on the opposite side. You could something similar very inexpensively.

I have extra ammo, medical stuff, and a snack in there instead of AR mags. I hang it on the weapon lock behind it so it is easily accessible, but out of the way.

For a little more, a molle vest to attach whatever you want. My agency would frown on me being too tacti-cool since I am not part of the team, and I might scare someone.

9. Gangrel

Gangrel
    Expand Collapse

I have a satchel/gobag with one shoulder strap for big stuff. However, any time we use our rifle we have to take an extra nag. That (for most deployments) just goes in my back pocket.

10. jokon

jokon
    Expand Collapse
    Cold Infidel

a 'tactical man-purse' from a reputable manufacturer works well, the ones with the external mag pouch or the molle type. It's easily thrown over the opposite shoulder of your sling and can double as a dump pouch. Holds lots of nachos and dip too.

11. nikerret

nikerret
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Awesome

I have a bailout bag by my AR. We are given six 30 round mags. I also keep two bottles of water and some granola bar type snacks inside.

If I grab my rifle, I rarely grab an extra mag. It's a habit I need to change. It isn't that hard ot grab a mag out of the bag and throw it in a cargo pocket.

12. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

http://www.uspeacekeeper.com/products/bags-packs/rapid-deployment-pack.html

My wife has used one as a purse for three years. Tough as nails.

13. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

You're obviously thinking. That's what I do. I'm not trying to suggest you don't. I like the way you do things. Best thing to do is give someone else's a try before you buy. I don't like any extra bulk either. I've toyed with putting together a shooter bag, but I got distracted assembling a training vest. I'll probably buy that peacekeeper bag, put some 1911/AR mags in there with Quik Clot, an Israeli bandage, etc.

14. imaguy3

imaguy3
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately only one guy has his setup ready to go (and he's way bigger than me) so it doesn't give a good representation as the vest is way to big... The other guys have their stuff on order, and since we're the first group going through for our department there's no one else on the department I can get "real world" info. from...

I'm not a fan of the bag thing only b/c that's another strap around my torso and something else flopping around... I'm only looking for a way to carry an extra mag or two... if I were to go with the vest I may throw some extra cuffs or something...

The most important things to me are ease/quickness of deployment and working without causing problems with other equipment (ie: vest or bag getting in way of other batman belt items) I may just go through the training with the mag in the back pocket and see if that learns me anything as to what's working and not working...

#14 imaguy3, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  15. Cav

Cav
    Expand Collapse

In the Infantry if I did not have 7+ 30 round mags on me I felt like I did not have enough ammo.

As a police officer, my agency issues two 30 round magazines, loaded with 20 rounds each. One magazine is locked, but not loaded, the other magazine gets stored in the car near the weapon.

What I have done that works for me on the LEO side;

A single mag case that mounts on the weapon, near the buttstock.

Two magazines that are attached.

A magazine in my cargo pocket.

On my SHTF vest I have one magazine, two pistol mags, and some shotgun shells as we have three weapon systems and you never know what you might need more ammo for.

A Go Bag that has a few extra mags.

Now a few officers I work with have a belt set up that holds a 20 round magazine close to them and the two pistiol mags are mounted to the front of the mag holder (looks like you just have two pistol mags to the average person. There are two makers I know of for this set up.

IMHO if I have to use my M4 as a police officer, I would hope that I would not need more than 40 rounds (that would be a lot of shots for a long range weapon with well placed shots). I would hope that other officers would have more ammo and it could be divided up. I would think that pistols, shotguns, and rifles would all come into play, and that SWAT would take over at a set point.

Granted anything can happen, but I only have so much room on me and in my car. I do keep some things in my office just in case things go really bad.

16. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash
    Expand Collapse

I use a drop leg magazine pouch. I forget the brand but it attaches via a buckle that you put on your inner belt so that if you have to use it you can quickly attach it. I also have a heavy vest that I can use for more storage if needed.

#16 CanIhaveGasCash, Sep 25, 2011
  17. imaguy3

imaguy3
    Expand Collapse

I've looked at that, back when we were writing our proposal the Sgt. wanted to see it, so I had started a post earlier this summer about it. From what I gather though it sucks to carry 30's in it the whole time... so I probably wouldn't keep a mag in it all the time, it would just serve the same purpose as the backpocket. Grab a mag and stick it in the pouch, or grab a mag and stick it in back pocket...

On Safariland's site they have a "Model 74" which is an ar mag integrated with pistol mag pouch, yet I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere to look at (not even online, even though their site says "available 4/11")... http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=74

Yeah, the one I'm looking at is the same way it definately would be quick to put on and not get in the way. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that uses that setup to tell me if it's easier to use than pulling a mag out of the back pocket? What do you think of it? Does it move around on your leg, or give you any other problems/annoyances?

#17 imaguy3, Sep 25, 2011
  18. Denikes

Denikes
    Expand Collapse

19. jokon

jokon
    Expand Collapse
    Cold Infidel

20. jnc36rcpd

jnc36rcpd
    Expand Collapse

It might be my Homer Simpson-like figure, but I found accessing a rifle magazine in the pocket easier done on a square range than in the field or even when qualifying.

I have used a thigh rig such as are made by SOTech or Specter when we first started the rifle program. If you go that route, you may want to go with just two magazines rather than four.

Never say never, but a second vest over your SBA is unlikely to stop anything your concealed armor won't stop. We do have people carrying their old armor and magazines this way, but I doubt they do a lot of training in the set-up.

Another option might be a chest rig such as made by Shellback, Eagle, Tactical Tailor, and numerous other manufacturers.

A go-bag is certainly a good thing to have, but you're correct you'll have something swinging around. If you change your mind and go that route, you'll want a smaller one such as the ITOA bag or the Peacekeeper. You may want a second larger bag for disasters, riots, and so forth, but you'll want something small if you're going to take it out routinely.