close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How old is to old to become LEO?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by bronc25, Aug 10, 2011.

1. bronc25

bronc25

Feb 25, 2010
    Hubert, NC
    Tried to post this question in the cop talk but it won't let me. Just wondering what officers felt was the max age to become LEO. I have been in a different field for the past 10 years and due to events no longer wish to do it. My dad was leo and so was my grandfather and I told myself I wouldn't do it because of the kids, but now that they are older they understand more. I have several friends that are leo and have tried to convince me for at least a year to go for it, but have just now reached a point where it is possible with the support of family. So how old do you think is to old i'm 34, thanks in advance

2. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Depends on the state. I had guys in their early and late 40s in my academy class.

3. beatcop

beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    You can do it at 34...the up-front age isn't the issue, it's trying to find a 20 yr retirement, so you won't be in LE in your 60's...do not want that.

There are other issues with the career, look into those. Shift work, health, negativity, friends...

4. as400guy1

as400guy1

Mar 26, 2009
    Here in Illinois, I believe the age limit to enter an academy is 40. However, some municipalities put a limit of 35.

5. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    I was 33 when I started the Academy. While many were younger than I, some were older.

34 is nothing.

6. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Yeah, all the touchy feely "you are only as old as you feel..." answers are great and all...but I think this question requires an answer. 45 and in tip top shape. (and most people at this age range are likely to be people who just retired from the military)If you look around you will see 35 is a fairly common cut off number for a lot of agencies. I understand that logic as well.

A 60 year old who is wise and fit can do this job....the question becomes, do they want to? There comes a point where the math catches up with you. (how old will you be when you can retire)

Some other considerations are...working for people younger than you and just getting started on the street when a lot of the people in your age range are burned out with the street.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. Fastbear

Fastbear

Dec 21, 2007
    Too old? What on earth are you talking about? If you want to become a Law Enforcement Officer get off yours and go for it. I applied when the 61st year was closing, went into city reserves and later moved over to the Sheriffs Office. Great job, have worked 8 out of the last 10 days or nights, 80+ hours in for the month. Work 24/7 call out or scheduled. Certified patrol alone, still a reserve and looking at 67 at the end of the year. You are not too old, do it.

8. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    I have seen plenty in their late 40's do well and become fine officers. Early 30's will be a good portion of any academy class. The job does become tougher as you get older for patrol work though.

9. sigpro357

sigpro357

Apr 9, 2002
    Virginia
    I'd say 95 wouldn't be too old. You could still do it at 95

10. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Dec 28, 2006
    MO
    38 is too old to become a federal agent.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  11. prism

prism more ammo

Sep 26, 2002
    Indiana
  12. 34 is not too old at all. Depending on your overall health and physical fitness people up to their mid-late 40's are viable candidates. I went through a 30 week, tough, paramilitary academy with several guys that were 40+. Two were in their early-mid 50's, one was 48. All three are remarkable men to have completed the program at their ages. The 48 year old did exceptionally well. He's one of a handful of men I'd charge the gates of hell with. I consider him to be very much an exception to the rule.

The two guys in their 50's made it, but the physical pounding and sleep deprivation really took a toll on them. The biggest difference I saw between them and us younger guys was cognitively. Everyone was exhausted for the entire 7.5 months, but they got slower as the weeks passed and had a harder time picking up on stuff. The oldest one aged 10 years during that time period. They're both fine men and I espect the crap out of them both, but personally, I think they were too old.

If I had to pick a number, I'd say 45, unless you're in exceptional physical and mental condition.

13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Once you hit your mid-30s, it can be a bit different, maybe tougher, making it through training. You have more years of habits to change. Things like never exposing your gun side to anyone, driving the "police way", anything that you routinely have done for your whole life but must now change. On the other hand, you are much more self-aware, have a great deal more experience dealing with people who aren't like you, are more patient and aren't as likely to stress out over little things.

14. 1811guy

1811guy Formerly1811guy2

May 1, 2001
    So is 37. You have to be appointed to the position BEFORE your 37th birthday.

15. I was 35 when I graduated the first of two academies I had to attend. Didn't finish #2 due to a serious knee injury.

16. MikeLadner

MikeLadner DILLIGAFF?

Jul 4, 2001
    South Mississippi
    I went through the academy with a guy that turned 63 two days before we graduated.....

17. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Feb 14, 2010
    Boonies New Mexico