close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How often do you WIPE & RELOAD your hard drive?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Viper_Audio, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Viper_Audio

Viper_Audio

Jun 4, 2002
    Michigan
    How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have to reload the OS and all the applications again?

For me, it averages once a year. I want to upgrade my Hard Drive from 80 to 160 Gig, and I think it's almost as easy to reload everything.

What does everyone else do?

2. 9mm*starman

9mm*starman Proud American

Jan 2, 2004
    Oklahoma
    The last time I did it, it was due to spyware I was unable to eliminate using some of the more popular anti-spyware programs available.

I'd say that the only time you need to wipe out your hard drive and start over is when you reach the point that you have a major software meltdown. With periodic defragmentation and disk cleanup, you shouldn't have to reload your hard drive until it completely fails.

It also can't hurt to keep your anti-virus and spyware elimination programs current and run them on a monthly basis.

3. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

Oct 7, 2000
    Northern Dakota
    With XP? Not since I installed it, the week it first came out. With win 98, a few times every month.

4. Siren

Siren 142nd

Jan 14, 2003
    Indiana
    about every 6 months..just did one today

5. Secant Ogive

Secant Ogive

May 7, 2004
    Texas
    I have done what you describe only once. I had an original computer for about three years that had a bunch of crap on it from the OEM. After noticing some mysterious behavior, I found that I had a backdoor virus and my repair effors were in vain. That's when I decided to reformat and rebuild my hard drive from scratch.;P

I got step by step instructions from the mfr., and after doing this my computer had a whole new lease on life. Faster, cleaner, less prone to crashes.

I would recommend this to anyone at least every few years. ;)

6. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Been over 3 years on this one and still going OK. I do a defrag weekly, but don't want to mess around with a major overhaul until I get home. If I loose my e-mail, Quicken or internet abilty while on the road I'd be sceeee-rude!;P It is getting slower though and some programs crash or lock up at times.

Think I'll just buy a new laptop when I get back, transfer some files, wipe this hard drive and donate this laptop to a niece or nephew in school.

7. Dieseler

Dieseler Temet nosce

Jun 10, 2004
    N.E. Oklahoma
    As needed basis, which usualy ends up once per year. I hate doing it, but things run so much nicer afterwards

8. gudel

gudel

Jun 1, 2001
    like he said... with the win9x flavor, usually 3 mos for me. for win2k/xp, i think it's twice for win2k, once a year, and never reinstalled since the last time i installed xp!

9. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Feb 23, 1999
    Everyfrigginwhere
    Used to be at least once a year. It was always kinda fun to put everything back on fresh. I used to zero-fill the HD to make sure I got all the junk off.

Now that I have so much software, patches, drivers, etc. on my PC, I don't really have the time to sit down and re-do everything anymore. I just stuck a 160Gig HD in an external housing for my backups in case something does go horribly wrong.

Plus, I just switched to Mac, so the PC only gets turned on a couple times a week. :)

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=271532

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
  11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    With all the PC questions here the last few days, you'd think Eric shut down Tech Talk

IGF

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    Hardly ever.

If I go to a bigger HD I Ghost the old drive to the new one.

13. Locke

Locke

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    With my work laptop, it's once or twice a year (less since I started using VM's for testing stuff :) )

At home, I just wiped this PC and reloaded XP, XPSP2 clean on a new HD; slaved the old drive as D: so I can move data files over.

They do accumulate "junk" over time; Web page applets, spyware, stuff you tried once that didn't really uninstall, etc.

XP SP2 *should* help eliminate the accumulation of some of that stuff...

14. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

Apr 13, 2004
    i hate this myth.

never. there is no point to doing this, it gains you nothing but extra work.

if you properly maintain your installation, you'll never have an issue.

15. jrny

jrny

Oct 23, 2001
    TEXAS
    I properly maintained my installation once, but then I had to turn on my computer... ;f

16. sgtlmj

Feb 23, 1999
    Everyfrigginwhere
    ;z Hardly a myth. I have been running Windows continually on multiple machines pretty much since 3.1. I have repaired and tweaked and maintained 'till I'm blue [screen of death] in the face.

Windows just accumulates junk over time. I just had to dig into the system manager on my PC because ?!?somehow?!? it decided to totally disable the Automatic Updates tab in my properties. WTF? I don't download or run garbage, I have a good virus checker, scan for spyware all the time, defrag, keep my email limited to plain text w/ no attachments, hardware firewall, don't surf bad places, and on and on. I MAINTAIN the shiznit out of this thing, and it still thinks it's some kind of organism. Keeps changing and growing on its own. My Mac, on the otherhand is like a rock. When I open the lid, things look exactly like they did when I closed it. No surprises.

17. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

Apr 13, 2004
    it *is* a myth. i have never had to format and reinstall because 'junk' accumulated. that's since 3.1.

properly maintained systems do not need to be reinstalled.

18. sgtlmj

Feb 23, 1999
    Everyfrigginwhere
    Uh huh. ;Q They may not "need" to be reinstalled, but they will bog down and not perform the way that they should. You telling me you have just done incremental updates since 1995 and never started with a fresh install? You are missing out on how fast Windows can be if that's the case. Anyone here who has reinstalled regularly can tell you that there are "gains" to doing it. C'mon, I know you want to. Succumb to the peer pressure. ;j

Dell, Gateway, Compaq/HP all include restore discs with their systems, and in a last resort, the tech guy will have you bust one of those things out. They are a desirable item for some as evidenced by the number of those things that sell on eBay.