close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How much should congresscritters be paid?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Skyhook, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
    Ever wonder about that? We all know congresscritters (PC expression) seem to be immune to the effects of their own legislative blunders, but how about the remuneration- what would be reasonable?

Check this example, for instance: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/dnc-chief-called-release-tax-returns_637084.html

Now, why should Debbie be making so much more than the folks in her district? Being on the team forever bleating about 'fairness' is it 'fair' for her salary to be roughly triple that of her constituents?

DC, the land of bonuses and boners.:upeyes:

2. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa

3. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

May 13, 2010
    Tough question. Many Congressmen are actually quite accomplished in the real world, having given up high paying jobs to go into politics.

Others went into politics because they're too stupid to work in the real world. Maxine Waters and Hank Johnson come to mind.

How to resolve the disparity in IQs?

4. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Alaska
    They should be paying us since they make millions off insider trading, back room deals, graft, and corruption.

5. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
    :cheers:

THIS.

6. coastal4974

coastal4974

Nov 2, 2009
    They should get compensation equal to an Army Private.

7. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    Pay them minimum wage and make dorms with cafeterias available if they can't afford other housing. Significantly reduce the time they are in session. Cut their staff budgets by 60%. Limit them to two terms.

8. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

9. coastal4974

coastal4974

Nov 2, 2009

+1 but if we did that we wouldn't have to limit terms :supergrin:

10. coastal4974

coastal4974

Nov 2, 2009

They should get paid twice what they're worth.

2x0= :supergrin:

11. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I don’t think they should be paid at all and I think there should be term limits.

However, if they need to be compensated for their time, then they should not be paid a dime more than what the average taxpayer earns and they should only receive the same benefits as the average taxpayer.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  12. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    My favorite suggestion so far. Many state legislatures have elected officials who aren't paid at all. They have to have a real life outside of the legislative function. I would at least keep them somewhat grounded in reality.

13. Bruce H

Bruce H

Dec 5, 2000
    missouri
    Nothing until the national debt is eliminated. Then a very small amount. If they can't do quite well financially while being politicians they are too dumb to be running the country.

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Didn't you mean to say fined?

Otherwise not sure that the question makes any sense as asked... :whistling:

Randy

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  15. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

Sep 20, 2006
    Galveston County, TX
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

16. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    My quandry is:
    1. Pay them so little that they will have to keep a real job. and can't make a career out of politics.

2. Pay them enough that they cannot be bribed. Now we all know this is not possible so, #1.

17. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Yes, and its said that a good portion of the high salary is to defray that. I say, ID that portion, and cut it off. Instead:

Take reasonable amount of money, and build a permanent dorm.

Two to a room.

Group kitchen.

Bunks.

Remove the argument about how much it costs to live there by providing a clean, simple, comfortable and functional residence, efficiently run. They can even put solar panels on the roof.

It can be set back farther from the Capitol, and shuttle busses can be run when its in session.

You don't have to live there, if you happen to be wealthy, you can skip out and pay out of your own pocket to live as you like.

But once you're in, you live in the dorm, you no longer have an argument about how you need more because DC is expensive, the item is hereby taken off the table.

So, you only need money to live at your district's cost of living and your salary is adjusted accordingly.

You can even have free refills of coffee in the kitchen. Toast and eggs for breakfast, grab a burger for lunch and your dinner limit is 15 bucks.

Not so glamourous, is it? Well, you wanted to be a congressman. Maybe now you'll be here cause you really want to make a difference, and not just suck up.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    I don't much care about Congressional pay. $174,000? Big whoop. It pales to the amount of money they will make by leveraging their power and connections gained in office.

That's what I care about.

Take a Newt Gingrich, for instance. Newt was a modest middle class history professor before getting into government. Now, he feeds off of big government and lo and behold, Newt's rich!

Congressional pay is a distraction to keep you from focusing on why they really want to go to DC. Lobbying gigs, BOD appointments, consulting contracts, books bought by the case.......that's why they want to go to DC.

19. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    I like the way you think.