close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much do you save reloading?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by silentlope, Nov 29, 2011.

1. silentlope

silentlope
    Expand Collapse

I am wondering how much is saved if you do reloading? And how much do you have to spend to do reloading right? I shoot about 100 rounds a week of .40 cal.

Currently I am spending $15 - $17 / 50 for FMJ good brass; and just tossing the ejected casings.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. michael e

michael e
    Expand Collapse

If buy in bulk on all stuff, primers powder bullets. Save the brass to reuse. It comes out to about half price , 40sw cost me about 6 for 50 rounds. As for how much you spend thats all up to what set up you want, mine was 150 range. In the end you will not save any money just get to shoot alot more.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

You're joking, right?

4. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

You won't save a single penny reloading. Anyone who tells you they save money by reloading is lying to you. Just ask them to show you the bank account with all their saved money in it. You will actually spend more money reloading as you buy more and more equipment.

However, you will get to shoot a lot more for the same amount of money.

I cast my own bullets from scrap lead for the .38 special and .45 ACP. Only cost is powder, primers, and my time. Not counting my time it's about 3.5 cents per round. Not counting my time I can load .30-06 for about 25 cents per round.

But no one factors in the time they spend. If I worked instead of sitting home casting bullets it would be cheaper for me to buy ammo. But I enjoy reloading as a hobby. It's also the only way to enjoy wild cat calibers like my .25-223 or old calibers like my .300 Savage. Another advantage to casting your own bullets is you just need a stash of powder and primers and you don't have to worry about ammo shortages any more.

#4 vafish, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

Well, I picked up a 44 Special Ruger Blackhawk this year and it will never see a factory load. Run-of-the-mill Remington 44 special ammo was $55.99 at a local store. Sheese!

I load 100 rounds of new 44 special for about $27, after that the brass is free to load over and over so my handloads run about $11/100 rounds. Plus, I get to load the ammo exactly the way I want it. Light target loads to hunting loads and everything in between.

6. CDW4ME

CDW4ME
    Expand Collapse

How much you save depends on the caliber, the comparable factory loaded ammunition, and components you use.

If I want a 185 JHP 45 acp, the factory loaded offerings are going to be pricey. Remington 185 JHP is $40+ for a 50 round box and Hornady 185 XTP HP is nearly a $1 a round in those little 20 round boxes.
    I can buy the 185 XTP bullets, new brass, primers, powder and handload a 50 round box on a single stage press in under an hour with a component cost of about $26. I am essentially paying myself about $15 an hour (tax free) to reload that ammo and my loads are of equal quality to the factory ammunition mentioned. At least I know every one of my handloads has a full powder charge, are within a certain OAL, and are taper crimped.
    (I'm using only new brass in this example to keep the comparison equivalent.)
    I guess it depends on how much your free time is worth, I would not do it just to save $5 or $6 a box (an hour); the opportunity cost of my free time is worth more than that. If you only shoot a couple of boxes a month on average, that's different than several boxes every weekend. Also, I reloaded more before I had kids.
    If the handload was something I could not otherwise get than it would be worth it even if the savings was zero; for example, a XTP bullet combined with a Federal primer.

#6 CDW4ME, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  7. fx77

fx77
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

8. tobias boon

tobias boon
    Expand Collapse

I save quite a bit reloading 45 colt. I only reload them one at a time with the Lee Classic loader so my total cost to reload for it has been cheap. I only reload for the 45 colt right now but I assume I will start loading for the 460 rowland 1911, still one at a time, once I get the 1911 off layaway. I don't reload for my 9mm at all and don't plan on it.

According to that reloading calculator I spend about $7 per 50.???

#8 tobias boon, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  9. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

There are always two ways to look at things, but you are wrong VA, you do save money on ever round you reload vs buying the equiv factory ammo, fact. Whether you choose to shoot more or spend it on booze & women like Jack does, it is what it is.
    To the OP, yes, buying in some bulk, you can reload most calibers for 1/2 of CHEAP factory ammo. For semi exotics, 10mm, all the magnum, etc, you can save as much as 66% over factory. You often have better ammo too.

#9 fredj338, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123
    Expand Collapse
    Grumpy Old Guy

I save nothing, in fact I spend more but I do shoot alot more and it is very good ammo made for my handguns. :tongueout:

11. TPK

TPK
    Expand Collapse

I don't know what prices are like down South of me .. I shoot 500 S&W and I save money re-loading. Another expensive one I re-load for is .410. Up here a box of .410 runs in excess of $18. Oh ya, can't forget my .308 Norma Mag, not that it's terribly expensive (though it's close) it's more an availability thing (mind you so is the 500 ...).

12. Roering

Roering
    Expand Collapse
    Sorting nuts

You don't save at all, you just shoot more.

13. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

:yawn:Maybe, maybe not. I used to shoot about 3K/m, now I am down to about 500/m. My gear was paid for some 20yrs ago, so yeah, I save a lot on reloading. Consider 500rds of 45acp @ crap Wolf ammo prices & that still would cost me $180/m & my handloads are easily half that.:dunno:

14. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259
    Expand Collapse

Exactly! It's a hobby. You get sucked in to it and there is always a new piece of equipment you just have to get. You don't buy a bass boat to save money on the price of fish.

15. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:

Or a Ferrari to date girls from a trailer park!! :supergrin:

16. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Show me the money in your bank account that you saved.

It's just like my wife coming.home from the store with a new pair of shoes she.bought that was marked 50% off and telling me.how much money she.saved on the shoes. She didn't save anything, she might have spent a little less then she would have but she wouldn't have nought them at all if they weren't on sale.

If you were buying and shooting 3,000 rounds of ammo a.month, then you start hand loading and continue to load
    Tand shoot 3,000 rounds a month, then yes you can save money if you don't spend the money on something else.

But that isn't the way it.happens. the way it happens is you are shooting 200 rounds a month, complain about the cost of ammo, spend several hundred dollars on reloading equipment, spend even more on components, now you are shooting 500 rounds a month for the same price you used to shoot 200 rounds, but the press you bought is too slow so you spend another several hundred dollars on a progressive press and more components, need to rei some new bullets out, ect... Now you can crank out 1,000 rounds a .month, but you are spending more then you did when you shot 200 rounds a month.

So you are spending more and think, gee of I start casting my own bullets from scrap wheel weights o could save money. So you spend several hundred dollars on bullet casting supplies. You are now casting cheap bullets and loading 2,000 rounds a month for what 200 rounds used to cost.you.

You are still spending the same amount on components that you used to spend on ammo, but you also spent several thousand on equipment.

The only advantage is you now have a huge pile of ammo that you have no time to go shoot because you spent all your spare time at the loading bench.

It costs you less to load a round then it does to buy a similar round. But you still spend every penny you have in the end.

So show me.the money you saved.

#16 vafish, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  17. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Oh there is quite a bit more money in my account since I started reloading. It's pretty easy VA; add up the number of rounds you have fired over say 20yrs. Now compare factory ammo cost vs reloaded, that will be the extra money I have SAVED vs shooting factory ammo. So that money gets invested, spent on my house, wife, kids, whatever. Saying reloading doesn't save you $$ per round is like the liberals saying unemployement money is the best bang for the $$ to stimulate the economy. Just isn't true.

#17 fredj338, Dec 1, 2011
  18. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

Of course you can keep progressing and getting into reloading more and more if you want to. My dad and I loaded thousands upon thousands of 12ga loads on a used MEC. Had to buy a shot bar and some powder bushings to get started and obviously components but we saved quite a bit of money vs buying factory loads over the years. Shotgun components are a lot higher now than they used to be and I haven't bought components in almost a decade so the diff may not be what it used to be. In my case I saved a lot.

#18 dkf, Dec 1, 2011
  19. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Price per round when reloading is cheaper I agree and I have never said otherwise.

But in total dollars spent you will spend more money reloading. You will also get to shoot a whole lot more.
    Anywhere from two to ten times more.

20. nrabnf

nrabnf
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor

I save some, especially shooting the AR...'bout 500 rounds a week. Probably a little
    less than a wash dollarwise but my ammo is far superior to any that I could buy.
    I don't think I could justify loading for the pistols, expecially the 40. However I do
    load the .357 and .44 as I've got the time on my hands. If I didn't enjoy loading I
    definitely wouldn't do it as I think it's closer to a wash than a savings...especially
    using high end components. Just my .02