string(2) ", "

How Many Use a 20 Gauge for Home Defense??

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Nalapombu, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Nalapombu

Millennium Member

Hey all,

Just curious to see how many use a 20 gauge as their Home Defense shotgun.

I know there's a lot of you that have them because your wife or girlfriend can easier handle a 20 rather than a 12.

I'd like to hear about those that CHOOSE to have a 20 gauge rather than a 12 gauge. If you do, why?

I've been thinking of picking one up myself. The other day I saw a Pardner Pump Youth 20 that had a 21 inch vent rib andit looked like it would make a nice home defense weapon. Not bad at $185 too.

I understand the recommended load for the 20 in HD situations is #4 Buck. Is that right? Is that in 2 3/4 or 3 inch?
    Doesn't that load have 18 or so pellets of 0.25caliber? Tell me how it stands up to a 12 gauge 00 Buck in the 2 3/4 reduced recoil or whatever the manufacturers are calling them.

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I don't but I would have no problem doing so.

3. I have lots of shotguns, and it makesme no difference which one my hand gets on if the need arises... Ive killed lots of stuff with all sizes of shotgun except the 28, and I have absolutely zero doubt that a 20ga will put a stop to the BS same as a 12 within home distances against a human...

4. I owned both 20g & 12g. Within 30 yards, I had trouble telling the difference between the two, except that the 20g kicks less, of course. 2 3/4 is just fine. I save 3' shells for slugs and don't recommend slugs for HD.

I'd have no trouble using a 20g. I've heard Mas and other recommend a 20g as well.

In a typical home, #4 buck is great stuff. #00 buck is too. In an apt, 20g may even be preferred. No faults between 12g or 20g in either shell. JMHO

#4 dp2002813, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  5. I agree with the others. I use a 12, but would have absolutely no problem using a 20.

I actually want to get a 20ga....just because.

6. I was all set to buy a 20ga semi auto for HD...I had one picked out and had researched ammo.
    The one I wanted was sold out everywhere. There was one on GB, but it was over MSRP.
    Finally, HD ammo seemed to be non-existant, even to order...other than slugs (which I would use).
    Well, I am glad, since the search for that 20 led me to my Beretta 1201FP. Even in the depths of this ammo crunch, buckshot and slugs have been easy to find in variety. Plus I already had a Mossberg 500, so I'm not buying another gauge, I have commonality.

7. Among other HD guns I keep a SXS 20 gauge Savage hanging from the back of our headboard.

8. headboard gun rack? HAHAHA! I like it and wished I had thought of it.

9. At close range they will all do the job with OO or OOO buck or even #4 shot. This includes a 410. At slightly longer distances I'd use a 12G/20 with OO or OOO buck, or slugs in the other G's. a secondary good option is the 3 inch magnum as it extends power and range. Example in my home office I have a Dbl 20G coach gun...OO buck.
    It does a number on items out to 25 yards.

10. I found #3 buck for my wife's 20. Box says there's 20 pellets in each round. Don't know the size of each pellet.

11. i use a 12ga now but before i was 21 i was broke i used the 20ga i had for hunting for sd because thats what i had never felt under gunned

12. In my declining health and strength as I age recoil is a very important aspect of shooting. I've recently started the change-over from 12 to 20 ga for all shooting needs. Once I'm completely satisfied I'll trade the 12 off for another 20ga or maybe a .410 pump. So far I'm liking the 20 ga very much. tom.:cool:

13. I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 youth model 20 gauge shotgun exactly cause the wife didn't like the kick of a 12 gauge. Holds six 2 3/4 in shells with 5 more in buttstock sleve and stays in the bedroom where either my wife or I can access it.

14. I don't, but I would.

15. Nalapombu

Millennium Member

It seems to be pretty tough to find mag extensions for the 20 gauge shotguns. The one I am looking at is a H&R Pardner Pump with a 21 inch VR Barrel and has a capacity of 5. If I got one, I'd like to put a +2 on it, but I don't think anyone makes them to fit 20 gauge shotguns anymore. Wilson used to make them, but they no longer do.

Nalajr

16. I was 19 years old when I moved out on my own, into my own home. Between 19 and 27 I kept my Sears single shot 20 gauge (squirrel gun) that I got when I was 13 as my home defense gun. Didn't realize I was under-gunned until I started reading the forums a few years later :)

#16 Doug S, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  17. I'm 67 now, my 3" 20 gauge BPS wears a 22" barrel. It handles like a .22 .

18. I don't, but I wouldn't mind.

19. I have the idea in my head of taking a Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge, fitting express sights to a 20" barrel, fabricating and fitting a full length magazine tube, and converting the buttstock to a straight English grip, just to have something different. Sure would be nice and light and fast handling.

20. Very popular on the Indiana Farms! 20 ga is a great tool, own 1 myself.(SxS Coach Gun w/ hammers exposed) Wifey's favorite.

Have 12ga guns also, don't see that much difference. Little recoil diff all I see.