Glock Talk banner

How many rounds in your 1911a1 mag?

8K views 44 replies 36 participants last post by  COLDSTEEL165 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, do ya'll use 7 round mags or spring for the 8 round mags for use in your 1911a1's. I've always went with the 8 round mags myself and never had a problem with them but I guess from what I've read some folks do. So is it worth the one extra round or do ya'll think 7 is enough?

#5 ·
I just got the gun home and loaded the Colt Stainless 8 round mags up with 8. Makes it hard to seat the mag with the slide in battery but if I drop down by 1 round and only load 7 then it slides home easily. If you load up your 7 round mags and try to seat them with the slide in battery do you have more "wiggle room" to seat it or would it be the same as with the 8 round mags loaded to capacity?

#12 ·
I wanted to post a Poll but I can't find that option on the forum anymore. From what I'm reading though it looks like many feel that 7 rounds is more then enough with the 1911a1 in 45acp. They are on sale for pretty cheap at CDNN right now.

#17 ·
Only 8rd mags I have are Wilson 47D's (four). I have 7rd CMCs (two) and Metalforms (four). They're all numbered and I've used them since 2005 when I bought the gun. Never an issue/hiccup from any.

I carry all of them on a rotation (one in gun, one or two in pouch), shoot them all during range trips, and use them during club matches.

I do have three surplus mags I only use for practice. They work too, but have no base pads on them.

#18 ·
Think I just might take advantage of the CDNN sale and order some of the $7.99 Metalform 7 round mags if they're still on sale by the weekend. Since I've got 3 high quality Colt Stainless 8 round mags I can use the inexpensive 7 round mags for range duty and save the 8 round mags for carry. Sounds like a plan, thanks guys for helping me figure this out.

#22 ·
Well, since 7 seems to be enough for most of ya'll I just placed an order to CDNN for 5 of the 7rnd Metalform mags that they've got on sale for $7.99 each. Also, they've got a $5.99 flat rate shipping deal still going on from the weekend so if anyone wants to order some mags you just can't beat this deal. :supergrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.