Glock Talk banner

How many people find they stopped carrying their G26 since they picked up a G42\G43?

Tags
glock 42
10K views 86 replies 59 participants last post by  6Actual 
#1 ·
Since picking up both a G42 and G43 I have found the G26 more and more being relegated to the safe. Surprising I have been carrying the G42 more and more. This is such a comfortable gun for both carrying and shooting. I like the G43 but find the recoil a bit strong, manageable but strong so I need more time with it.

More and more I'm thinking that it is time to sell the G26 as it won't get used anymore and I don't need a safe queen.

Anyone else seeing the same trend?

#2 · (Edited)
Not exactly the same, but I quit carrying my G27 after buying a Ruger LC9s (which is pretty much the same size as the G43). Much lighter and more comfortable.

>More and more I'm thinking that it is time to sell the G26 as it won't get used anymore and I don't need a safe queen.

Edit: However, I wouldn't sell your G26. I'm looking for a better IWB option for my G27 so I can carry it in colder months.

#3 ·
I picked up a couple of 42's when they first came out, and while I like them, they were never a threat to my 26's, one of which I still carry daily as a back up to one of my 17's.

There isnt enough of a size difference, and I dont want to give up what the 26's offer and the single stacks lack.

I was looking at a 43 in a shop today, and that thought was reinforced even more. I just dont see the point.

#4 ·
I sold my Glock 26 (GNS) to make the leap to a G43.

The wait time was longer than I thought, so I bought a LCR 38+P..
and a PPS to try out. The PPS is sweet, but I'm not a fan of the
paddle mag release.

Now that the G43 is a reality, my Glock 42 isn't going anywhere, but
I wish that I still had my Glock 26 on some days.

As you can see by the pics, it was a real beauty.

Now I have to sell my PPS, pay a medical bill and get my ducks in a row so I
can land a G43.

I have short list for guns I want to buy in 2015, and the G43 is at the top.

Whether it will have much more recoil than my G42 is probably going to depend
on what I stuff it with.

My PPS was soft shooter with the limited rounds (78) that I have put through it,
including a few JHPs.

The Walther Forum guys told me that the PPS shoots more accurately with 124-147 than the lighter stuff.

I've said that the real advantage of the G43 (or even PPS) is the ability to shoot the heavier 9mm bullets over those
in .380. This being esp. true if you choose 147 grain 9mm fodder.

#5 ·
I feel the PPS has less recoil than the G43, but not much less. Overall I prefer the ergonomics of the G43 over the PPS.

I still have a Gen 4 G19 for when I want to carry something bigger or the SHTF and the grip feels a little better to me than on the G26 thanks to the Gen 4 reduction. So for carry purposes I'm feeling like the G26 just won't get anymore action. I'm not worried about carrying 4 less rounds since I always carry a spare mag.

#7 ·
I have two pistols on my permit ... the G42 and the G27. The 42 replaced an LCP, but not the 27. I rarely carry the 27 on me, but the 42 is really nice. It has all the qualities of a full size pistol, but is delightfully small and packable. I won't sell the 27, but the 42 gets most of my attention.

#8 ·
I don't have a G43 yet, but I do have an NTS (no thumb safety for those that might not know) 9mm Shield, which is pretty close to the same size as a G43. And while I do still carry the Shield and love that size of gun for carry, I've found that not only am I carrying my G26 more than the Shield lately, but I'm going to be adding a G19 to my carry rotation as soon as I can.

Given our current climate (socially) in America these days, I will be up-sizing my concealed weapon to the G19 as soon as I get it and shoot it a little. Until then, it'll be the G26 with a G19 mag or two for backup.

Reactions: dpsk
#12 ·
I will never sell my Glock 26 for any single stack.
Same here. The 26 is easy to conceal under just a T-shirt, holds more ammo, and shoots great. Heck, I even have a CT laser grip on mine, so it's extra chubby. I see no reason to go any smaller, with the exception of pocket carry. In fact, more and more I find myself wearing a loose button down shirt instead of a T, and packing my 32. YMMV.

#15 · (Edited)
I stopped carrying the 26 for a while when I first got the 43, and carried the 43 with the 42 as a bug. Then after doing some penetration testing comparing the 380, 9mm and .45acp, I came to the realization that I wouldn't carry the 42 unless it is the only thing I could conceal. Went back to the 26 with the 43 as a bug. So, no definitely do not get rid of the 26.
The test was seeing how far each would penetrate through 4 phone books taped together. Well let's just the 380 barely made it through one and the 9mm and .45 though 3 of the 2" books. Yeah it may have not been the best test, however, it was enough for me. All were used with Hornady Critical Defense

#19 ·
It's all about the thickness. Slim is the hottest thing going and has been for a long time so obviously a lot of people DO see the point.
Hey, if youre that sensitive, to feel that little bit of difference, go for it. I still dont see it for what youre giving up.

#18 ·
It all depends on your priorities. Comfort is way up there for me, but times being what they are, I'm more and more willing to sacrifice a little comfort in order to have more capacity. Some days though, I do still opt for slimmer and lighter. It's very nice to have both options.

#20 ·
The only single stack that I will CC carry is the G36.. Mainly because of the 230 grn 45acp. Most folks wont CC if it becomes a pain in the butt... A quality holster & gun belt is also very important for CC. I also have a S&W 642 for pocket carry but it ain't that difficult to strap on a G27 or G26 - so the 642 mainly stays in the safe.

#21 ·
I will keep my 26.....my wife will keep hers also, but the 43 is nice to carry.....I have a KelTec 380 that I got cheap enough and reworked to get it reliable and it was my everywhere gun, being a good pocket carry gun. The 43 is now in my pocket, but is almost too big for pocket carry, which means it probably should be better carried in a holster......if it does, well, might as well carry the 26........but I do like the slim lines of the 43 so it will stay in rotation.
But, no, will not part with the 26.

#22 ·
Well, I will need to do some more range time with both. The G43 is much easier to carry IWB than the G26. Weight and thickness really come into play after a while. The G42, you forget you are carrying it.

My biggest problem is small hands and the fat grip of the G26. While doable it is no where near as natural feeling as the G43. The Gen 4 G19 even feels more comfortable than the G26. But history has shown me that every time I sold off a G26 I ended up buying another one, but that was before the 42 and 43 came along.

Thanks for the input everyone. I will really need to consider this heavily.

#24 ·
I do not have a 42 or 43, and have (3) 26's, if I felt the need for a 42 or 43 the 26 would be carried less, the reality is that I do not have a need for the 42/43, the 26 gets carried 90% while my 30s get carried 10%.
Those that have both will eventually decide to downsize, the issue should relate to how often one shoots and with what. Practicing more often with LESS variety will make you a better shooter.

#25 ·
I am in total agreement with Rocky. My goal for the last few years has been to find ONE gun that is (a) reliable (b) light and thin (c) powerful (d) has a crisp trigger (preferably striker fired). Then I try to shoot THAT gun in IDPA club matches at least once a month.

Now that I have my own G43 and a DeSantis Sof-Tuck holster, I will try to use that holster/gun combination exclusively ... mainly carrying AIWB but shifting over to 3:30 for matches in order to follow IDPA rules. My goal is simple: develop enough muscle memory to always know how the gun functions, where the bullets will hit and not endanger background innocents. Hopefully the G43 will meet all those criteria.

I've owned and shot g26s very well, even made Expert in SSP of the IDPA with a Gen 4-26, but I see a time in the near future when I'll be able to shoot the g43 just as well, hopefully with a stock trigger. My only modifications to the 43 so far have been Traction Grips and a spot of neon orange finger nail polish on the front sight. My goal is to learn how to shoot the gun as close to stock as possible, following the Bible of Massad Ayoob.

#27 ·
Well my experience was vastly different. I picked up a 43 about 3 weeks ago. Just shot it the other day. I had been carrying the 26 and before then I carried the shield. I was very excited for the 43. The weight was great, the size felt good, and I was ok with the capacity. At least in the role I had in mind for this gun. However, it was not until I actually shot the gun that I realized how much the small grip floated around in my hand. It was not the thickness that was a problem, it was the distance from the front strap to the back strap. I shot the gun ok...ish. About a 7 inch group at 10 yards. However the 26 I comfortably shoot about a 2-3 inch group at the same distance. I do have small hands, and the controls of the 43 felt made for my hands, I did not have to shift my grip to access the magazine release, or slide stop. It was the first gun I have owned where that was possible. The 26 does feel like an absolute brick compared to the 43, but I shoot the 26 much better. I did sell the 43, and now justify to myself that even though the 26 is slightly more difficult to conceal, it does hold more ammunition, and I shoot it better. I was really hopeful for the 43.

#28 ·
Since picking up both a G42 and G43 I have found the G26 more and more being relegated to the safe. Surprising I have been carrying the G42 more and more. This is such a comfortable gun for both carrying and shooting. I like the G43 but find the recoil a bit strong, manageable but strong so I need more time with it.

More and more I'm thinking that it is time to sell the G26 as it won't get used anymore and I don't need a safe queen.

Anyone else seeing the same trend?
I'm keeping the G26 just because the seasons will change & I'll be wearing heavier clothing. I sure do like the way the G43 conceals underneath a T shirt though. The G43 will be my EDC through the summer months.

#29 ·
I'm staying with my P-11, P3AT, P-32. Taurus ultra lite 22mag.,
G-29,,,, everything else gets the short 12 ga. For many years now.

But, I'm getting very interested in this new G43. I may have to check one out tomorrow and the LGS.

#33 ·
"Significantly" puts you in the "over" sensitive bracket. :)

Ive carried my 42's in the same spots as my 26's, trying to see the point of view of those who push the new "smaller" Glocks so heavily, and the 42's still remain a range toy in the safe. The 43 is even closer in size to the 26. Anywhere I can realistically carry the 42, or 43, I can, and do, easily carry the 26.

Im not knocking anyones choice here, if you like the 42/43, have at it. I just dont find them to be "better" than the 26.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.