How many people don't have ID

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by knoxvegasdaddy, Feb 20, 2013.

1. knoxvegasdaddy

knoxvegasdaddy UBER VOL !!!

I'm wondering how many people REALLY don't have ID.

I don't mean the BS artists that can't seem to find their wallet because they have warrants. I'm talking about people that really, truly, have NO form of govt. issued photo I.D.

A gov't issued Photo ID is required to do the following:

1. Obtain legal employment (I-9 form requires it)
    2. Opening a bank account
    3. Obtaining ANY form of welfare (I asked a guy at my church that works in the EBT/SNAP office, he says ID is required)

The Fed Govt REQUIRES that any recipient of Social Security or SSI disability MUST have Direct Deposit.

If I'm wrong about any of the above, school me up on the truth, but based on the above alleged facts:

If you don't have ID, you cant get a job, gov't benefits, or a bank account.

If you don't have a bank account, you can't deposit a paycheck or a gov't check.

Seems to me, claims that 1 in 4 poor people don't have ID are pure crap. Doesn't seem possible.

How they gettin' they check????

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Many 2014 cars don't have spare tires The Okie Corral Dec 17, 2014
    How many of you just don't feel like doing anything? The Okie Corral Nov 27, 2014
    Many immigrants don't speak English.. or Spanish Political Issues Jul 28, 2014
    How Many Don't Care About Basketball? The Okie Corral Apr 7, 2014
    You don't see many Sig P228s like this one floating around General Firearms Forum Aug 2, 2012

3. Last December, I stood in line at Best Buy behind a middle aged woman buying several hundred dollars worth of stuff. She pulled out a new, unsigned credit card that still had the activation strip on it.

The check out girl asked for a picture ID since the card was unsigned, and the woman said she didn't have any. Her wallet was bulging with credit cards and other crap, but no picture ID. She tried crying racism, got the manager involved, held everyone else up while she made a scene, and eventually stormed out without her stuff. I watched her climb into the drivers seat of a nice shiny Escalade and drive off. :rolleyes:

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Its always a red flag to me when someone claims not to have any form of ID. I have only had a couple of cases where the subject really did not have any form of state issued ID. They were professional burglars and they claimed not having any ID made it very difficult for officers to confirm they were lying when contacted for suspicious activity. They were right, it was very difficult to confirm anything.

5. I think you are dead on in your suspicions that the numbers are very low. I don't know exact numbers by any means, but I would say less than 5 percent legitimately don't have ID.

Its my experience that the difference between those who don't have ID, and those who CHOOSE not to have ID when asked is vast.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#4 x_out86, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. Pues, yo no tengo ID.

7. Knute

Knute "Nothin"

If they are adult citizens, I have NEVER found someone to not legitimately have an ID. If they are not here legally....well that's another question.

8. I would guess a fair number of illegals have none and I would guess that some homeless and some criminals no longer have identification, once did, but have lost it.

9. Never, in my experience. They may not have one on them, they may not currently have one, but they have had one at some point in their life. Nearly everyone is in the "system" somewhere. It's a huge red flag when I can't confirm a person's identity based on the name, DOB and SSN they provided.

I would suspect only about 1% of adults have never had a government ID at some point in their life.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

10. larry_minn

Silver Member Millennium Member

I have met ONE legit adult that had NO ID. He is totally "off the grid" Has never had a DL, traveled out of state, gone to public schools, bought property......
    His "wife" has DL/ID/cards/ownership..... They never recorded private wedding. ......

I was working in his area, well I was on property, needed some signatures...... I was "supportive" and talked about "how neat" that was.... That was @ 10 yrs ago. I would guess he was in mid 40s.

11. I see this routinely in downtown Dallas.

12. I remember reading a story in the newspaper about 10 years ago about a young guy, early 20's, whose parents were "afraid of the gubmint" so they never bothered to get a birth certificate for him when he was born at home. Played all kinds of hell with him when he grew up and wanted to get a driver's license, job, etc. I don't know how it ever played out, but it was a fairly rare case from what I gathered.

13. The most frequent people I deal with, with no/never issued I.D. are the illegals from the Yucatan. The other Illegals usually have some sort of country issued I.D. (I.E. Mexican voter card, etc), or, they'll have a city-issued I.D. from my city. The European illegals I deal with almost always have a passport, as they come to the U.S. and never leave, past their visa date.

A vast majority of adults have had some sort of Govt issued I.D. issued to them. Those who say they lost it get a good in-field investigation. Those who say they have never had one usually go straight to the county jail for fingerprinting, provided there is an arrest involved, etc.

14. Cav

Cav

Very few people 17 or older do not have some form of ID. More people dont know their SSN than dont have ID.

Other day a woman called angry that she could not get onto Fort Hood, because we took her drivers license and never gave it back. Anyone that gets a DWI in Texas and has a TX DL gets it taken away. A DIC-25 paper serves as a temp ID till a hearing makes a call. So for a while anyone with a DWI from TX might not have a DL, till they get a ID card.

15. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Yup.

If someone (adult age) tells me they've never had an ID or DL, or Passport, or SSN, or they don't have a TDC offender card, or involvement (and mug shot) with the name and DOB they're giving me, or some type of identifying document(s), they're lying....or illegal. Even almost all of the illegals here have some type of ID. Whether it be issued from their country of origin, on their consulate.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. The only two people I ever encountered who did not have any form of ID and could not be found 'in the system' also ironically spoke no English. He handed me a Mexican Driver's license. I just lol'd and knew I'd be tied up for a while.

They were on a plane a few days later. ICE is pretty good nowadays.

Anyone who has to think about their birth date gets an extra close look. I learned early in my career to ask questions out of order. If someone states "nah man I don't have my license on me but I know my social"...my ears perk up. What's your middle name? What's your birthdate? What's your last name? What's your address? What's the last four of your social? What's your first name? What's your social? You get the idea.

17. You mean an International Driver's License in the plastic from a cigarette pack? :tongueout:

18. ID? Depende de cuál es mi nombre hoy.

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Democrats seem to think anyone who will vote for them has no ID.:whistling:

In my experience, illegals from Mexico all have their Matricular cards that you can get at the roving issue stations in those consulate vans. Seriously, the Mexican consulate has a few vans set up where they announce they will be at some place from when to when, to give out matricular cards. People line up and get their cards from the van at that time and place. It's a joke. Nobody asks for any verification. Heck, I can go to different vans and get 7 cards in a few days with different names on them.

The illegals from Central/South America, hit and miss. Asian countries? Some have whatever is used as an identity document, it could be a passport, native license, or a small passport looking booklet, but they have something. European illegals all have something too, but might not tell you they do. Canadian illegals all got ID. African continent illegals might not have anything, but if they are related to the President, we have to give them housing and food too.

CA is good in one thing in that regard... CalID. If we cannot establish someone's identity during an arrest, we can put a CalID hold on the person and they will get fingerprinted and held in the jail until they figure out who they are... usually adding more than a few days to their stay, even if they were going to be kicked out on OR from the jail.

20. So if I'm in CA (I'm FROM Texas) and I've lost my wallet somehow, and you pull me over for whatever reason, you're going to throw me in jail for it?

Sounds like another ****ing stupid law from California.

#19 KevinFACE, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  21. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Nope. I said arrest. If I throw you in jail but they don't know who you are... how do they process you and get you properly cited to go to court? Put a sticker on your forehead and hope it doesn't fall off? Give you one of those stupid conference, "Hi, My Name Is" stickers on your shirt?:whistling:

Not having an ID and walking around all day is fine. Have at it. If I do a consensual contact as you walk by, I ask you for ID, and you tell me to shove off and you don't have ID, that's fine. I can't do a thing.:cool:

In your scenario, if you are driving without a license, and we get that a lot here, I can establish your ID in other ways. We do it all the time. If there is a car registration, insurance documents, you can give me your license # and birthdate, you got family or friends in the car that has ID or can verify who you are, hotel receipts for your stay with your name on it, or I can try to verify your info via CLETS, you show me the police report that you filed for a lost wall, etc. There are a ton of ways I can establish your ID and verify your story. I can let you go without a cite or just cite and release you in your scenario, it doesn't have to be an arrest.

However, if you are driving without a license, feed me some cockamamie story, cannot give me a name without thinking about it, flubs your Bday and social security, don't know your address, can't tell me where you're staying, where you're going, what you are doing, etc. Taken any of those factors together, I might just decide you are lying to me and I will have the jail verify who you are. We are not the only state that has this.

BTW, this is what I said:

Try reading comprehension without an anti-cop bias. It's fun sometimes.:supergrin: