close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How many of you carry with "+1" round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by IndianaMatt, Nov 13, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    as in, carrying a standard 1911 with eight rounds total, or like a Glock 19 with 16 rounds total?

I'd like to know who else loads the magazine, inserts into gun, chambers the first round, and then tops off the magazine again.

2. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    :mememe:

Although, I load, rack, holster, release mag, top off, insert mag, check to make sure mag is secured.

3. Inebriated

Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    I don't top off my mag, but yeah, I carry full capacity.

>Put one round in Mag A (empty).
    >Chamber that round.
    >Replace Mag A with Mag B (full)
    >Holster

4. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    I always carry +1. Never had any malfunctions or problems due to it - might as well.

5. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
  6. Radam3

Radam3

Jul 22, 2011
    MI
    Always. G23 - 13 in the mag, 1 in the pipe.

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow

7. AtlantaR6

AtlantaR6

Jul 29, 2004
    Of course. It's like asking "how many people load up the magazine with one LESS round than it will hold?"

8. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    I had the same question, thanks for asking. I learn something new everyday.

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    It depends on the gun, and where I might be headed.
    If I know I'm going someplace where I have to disarm, I don't top the mag off after chambering. So when I unload I re-insert the round in the mag without having a loose round somewhere. I also take care to limit the number of times that round is re-chambered.

Otherwise, gun is loaded, chambered, and mag topped off + at least one spare mag.

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    I do.

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Depends on the capacity and how tight the mag is when full. I'm not going to sweat 15 vs 16 rounds. If the odds of a problem are even a teeny bit higher then it's not worth it.

Anyone that carries +1, you better make sure you test that configuration at the range (with your carry ammo) to make sure there are no issues!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  12. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    SWMO
    ^^^
    This....Most of the time it is +1...however, there are times, albeit a few, I won't.

:wavey:

red

13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    This guy gets it.

I helped field new Glocks to a department, and teach basic pistol to recruits. We watched tens of thousands of slide-forward reloads. There were a disturbing number of failures to seat the magazine. Most, but not all, were from um...smaller officers. We reasoned that what happened to them could happen to guys who were wounded or exhausted or in awkward postures. Downloading by one eliminated all that.

Going from 16 to 15 was a proper trade to get the near-guarantee of seated reloads.

14. 8+1 in 1911s here. (Wilson or Tripp)
    Always insert mag, chamber round and top off mag.

15. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Only have one carry pistol that can hold ten plus one of 45 ACP. But I always top it off.

Rest of my carry pistols won't hold more than 6 plus one, unless I use an extended magazine. So I always top off. I do carry an extended magazine for a spare on most of those pistols.

16. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Apr 23, 2009
    I'm in the minority. I carry chambered, but I don't top off the mag after chambering. It is a small reduction in capacity, especially if you carry one or more backup mags. As mentioned, function issues occasionally occur, but mostly I just don't bother, to be honest.

17. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    I just have a partially loaded spare mag on the dresser.

When I am done field stripping to oil or perform some other maintenance then I just pop in the spare mag, chamber a fresh round, and insert the full magazine.

I have a few spare mags... and it saves the spring on the carry magazines.

HTH
    Patrick