close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How many loads from 30.06 brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gforester, Oct 30, 2011.

1. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    I know with many pistol loads you can get a lot of reloads before the brass wears out, depending on how hot it is loaded. I'm new to reloading for my rifle and I was wondering if there is some point shere the rifle brass should be discarded and replaced with new or more once-fired brass. This is for 30.06 loads.

2. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Garand strength loads I get about 8-10 shots per piece of brass.

3. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    There is an article about this in the latest Handloader magazine. It varied with the brass from different companies. He loaded up to 'commercial levels' & got up to 20 loadings from some lots, some started to go at about 10 or so. Depending on what I'm doing I load modest much of the time, it's easier on everything.

4. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    Today I inspected my brass from my range trip last Wednesday and found 5 Winchester cases that looked like this. :wow:

[​IMG]

I would imagine this is a typical failure of the 30.06 casing? I had not shot these before, they were some range pickup I had lying around so I don't know how many times they had been reloaded. I have some RP and some HXP and a lot of new unfired Winchester. I think I shall record the number of times I load them.

If this was a dumb question, please forgive my ignorance as I am a newbie to reloading rifle brass.

5. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Aug 4, 2005
    fl
    I don't have an answer, but just thought of something. During load development, I will usually load 5-6 sets of 3 different loads from min to max for 2-3 sesseions untill I find the right load. I have never identified the different load brass after it was fired, but only as 1st, 2nd, 3rd use, etc. This is most deffinitely wrong for keeping accurate records. I do check my brass after every single shot, though, plus when I reload.

Just some random thoughts...

:dunno:

6. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    I just sorted my brass by headstamp and will be keeping records on number of loads for each. I only have the HXP (Greek Mil-surp M2), Winchester and R-P right now. I will keep a sharp eye on my Winchester for sure.

7. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    It just depends. How large the chamber is, how hot a load you use, the quality of the brass & then how you set your sizing dies up. In a bolt gun, neck sizing or partial FL sizing, not max loads, 12x is easily done. A M1, you might get to 10X w/ a match chamber, but 8-10 is more likely as Freak noted.

8. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    GF, is this in a newly acquired Savage?

9. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    Ummm, no, it was in my 03A3. I do have a newly acquired Savage but it hasn't had a chance to get to the range yet. I wil be loading up some more this week and it will get it's inaugural trip with me on Wednesday.

10. creophus

creophus Born Again

Mar 18, 2005
    Florida
    I'd measure how much life is left in the brass by the number of times you have to trim it. More you have to trim = Less brass in the case= Less life in the case.

30-06 brass is easy to come by, no sense in pushing the limit.

11. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    I'm pretty sure I was next in line.... Congrats on the acquisition.

12. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    I was wondering how you would have known about the Savage. It seems to be a nice rifle and the price was good. I will find out on Wednesday what sort of shooter it is.

13. craig110

craig110 Wasted bits.

Jul 14, 2006
    Pittsburgh!
    I agree. Running the numbers even with buying brand new brass (which I can't believe I said given it is a common caliber), the per-shot cost difference between pushing the brass or not is very minor.