close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many loads from 30.06 brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gforester, Oct 30, 2011.

1. gforester

gforester
    Expand Collapse
    Motorhead

I know with many pistol loads you can get a lot of reloads before the brass wears out, depending on how hot it is loaded. I'm new to reloading for my rifle and I was wondering if there is some point shere the rifle brass should be discarded and replaced with new or more once-fired brass. This is for 30.06 loads.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm
    Expand Collapse
    10mm Advocate

Garand strength loads I get about 8-10 shots per piece of brass.

3. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

There is an article about this in the latest Handloader magazine. It varied with the brass from different companies. He loaded up to 'commercial levels' & got up to 20 loadings from some lots, some started to go at about 10 or so. Depending on what I'm doing I load modest much of the time, it's easier on everything.

4. gforester

gforester
    Expand Collapse
    Motorhead

Today I inspected my brass from my range trip last Wednesday and found 5 Winchester cases that looked like this. :wow:

[​IMG]

I would imagine this is a typical failure of the 30.06 casing? I had not shot these before, they were some range pickup I had lying around so I don't know how many times they had been reloaded. I have some RP and some HXP and a lot of new unfired Winchester. I think I shall record the number of times I load them.

If this was a dumb question, please forgive my ignorance as I am a newbie to reloading rifle brass.

5. hogfish

hogfish
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member

I don't have an answer, but just thought of something. During load development, I will usually load 5-6 sets of 3 different loads from min to max for 2-3 sesseions untill I find the right load. I have never identified the different load brass after it was fired, but only as 1st, 2nd, 3rd use, etc. This is most deffinitely wrong for keeping accurate records. I do check my brass after every single shot, though, plus when I reload.

Just some random thoughts...

:dunno:

6. gforester

gforester
    Expand Collapse
    Motorhead

I just sorted my brass by headstamp and will be keeping records on number of loads for each. I only have the HXP (Greek Mil-surp M2), Winchester and R-P right now. I will keep a sharp eye on my Winchester for sure.

7. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

It just depends. How large the chamber is, how hot a load you use, the quality of the brass & then how you set your sizing dies up. In a bolt gun, neck sizing or partial FL sizing, not max loads, 12x is easily done. A M1, you might get to 10X w/ a match chamber, but 8-10 is more likely as Freak noted.

8. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

GF, is this in a newly acquired Savage?

9. gforester

gforester
    Expand Collapse
    Motorhead

Ummm, no, it was in my 03A3. I do have a newly acquired Savage but it hasn't had a chance to get to the range yet. I wil be loading up some more this week and it will get it's inaugural trip with me on Wednesday.

10. creophus

creophus
    Expand Collapse
    Born Again

I'd measure how much life is left in the brass by the number of times you have to trim it. More you have to trim = Less brass in the case= Less life in the case.

30-06 brass is easy to come by, no sense in pushing the limit.

11. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure I was next in line.... Congrats on the acquisition.

12. gforester

gforester
    Expand Collapse
    Motorhead

I was wondering how you would have known about the Savage. It seems to be a nice rifle and the price was good. I will find out on Wednesday what sort of shooter it is.

13. craig110

craig110
    Expand Collapse
    Wasted bits.

I agree. Running the numbers even with buying brand new brass (which I can't believe I said given it is a common caliber), the per-shot cost difference between pushing the brass or not is very minor.