close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How many AR-15 magazines do you own?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by OctoberRust, Oct 9, 2012.

1. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas
    Curious how many 30 round AR-15 magazines you guys own?

I'm looking to up mine a little before I start putting together a 2nd AR-15 (will probably be a little more patient this time, since I've already got one now. :supergrin:) Curious how many you guys have? I currently have 10, but would like to stock up on a little more before I start spending my play money on other things.

2. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Oct 1, 2003
    SC
    I have 20 I use with about 30 or so in reserve.

All but 10 are Pmags.

3. FnKev

FnKev

Jan 14, 2012
    Boerne, TX
    10-12 per weapon is what I like to keep. It really depends on how much you shoot I think. Some people would be fine with a couple if they only go to the range occasionally, others might need way more than I keep because they shoot in classes or go to the range more than I. I use the same 6 for my Scar regularly, and I have 5 more still in box in case I need to replace any mags at some point. What do YOU need? :)

4. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    ME
  5. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    A logical approach is to decide what your basic load should be. People are going to have different opinions from its not in your home defense rotation to planning for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Uncle Sam taught me minimum basic load is seven but we are not in a war zone laying down suppressive fire. One in the gun and a spare would cover anything short of the inevitable zombie apocalypse for civilians. Saying that, I want seven. Then what you need for range use. Personally, I keep my range magazines separate from my defense magazines for several reasons from not abusing a magazine my life might depend on to just being to lazy to unload and reload a defense magazine every time I go shooting. Add in whatever you may or may not want to stash for back up in case a magazine ban comes in and I think you are there. That is going to be hugely different numbers from one person to the next but its the sensible way to do it as opposed to must. have. more. magazines.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  6. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have way too many ... But that's still not quite enough.

7. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

Dec 27, 2007
    NAS Fort Worth JRB
    Over 20 something all pmags and a few Troy Battlemags

8. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    Plenty.

Just don't keep those PMags loaded! Aluminum and Stainless mags are fine, but the PMags will eventually roll the lips out and double feed or puke the whole 30. Sure, it takes a year or so fully loaded to deform them, but...

9. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    I've heard the same thing but the opposite – that metal mags will deform but polymer Pmags won't. :upeyes:

10. pag23

pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    I have over 10 GI & Pmags.... no issues with either.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  12. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks guys! Just curious what others have, I'll end up grabbing some here and some there as time goes by.

Out of curiosity, on average if you shoot once a month or so, how long do ar-15 mags last? I hear they're parts that need a fair amount of replacing?

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I have.... well, enough.

2 on the belt, 6 on chest rig, one in gun if it really came down to it, plus spares in the pack.

14. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Mar 20, 2003
    Land of the toothless!
    37 Pmags & 3 aluminum GI mags.

I'm waiting on Aim to more of the C Products SS mags in.

15. I have at least 7 for each of my AR's. One in the gun and 6 in the old lbe mag pouches.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    Around there. BCM had a deal on a 100 pack few years ago something like $6.50 a mag and I bought it. Forgot the brand but researched it as good at the time and been 100%.

Sold some of those off but still have mix and match plus Pmags so probably little over 100. Made some ARs for my kids so they will probably head out into the world with a dozen or so a piece.

ETA Tempting. :)
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-CASE-p/mag211-black---case100.htm

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  17. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    About 30. More than I need, but less than I want.

18. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    You do know that C-Products wnet out of business don't you?