close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How long do you guys reuse your brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Aug 3, 2010.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Some of my 9mm brass is getting up to around 5-6 reloads. I'm habitually checking each case now to make sure there's no cracking, but how long can I keep this going? I tend to stay on the low end of load data, and my recoil is relatively light, but I've never chrono'd my rounds so I really have no idea exactly where I'm at in terms of velocity/pressure..

How long can I keep using this brass?

2. TORCHRIDER

TORCHRIDER Wake Up America

Dec 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I have been reloading 9mm forever. I have loaded and shot somewhere north of 30k rounds conservatively at this point. I load at the low end. I only throw brass away when I notice splits which is very rare. I have never had a head seperation or other catastrophic failure.

Yea, should also add that I have had a few loose primers over the years as well.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010

3. I've only been reloading for a year but I don't keep track of my # of reloads for each piece of brass.

Keep on keeping on. Sounds like you do a good job of QC so I wouldn't worry about it unless you see defects or primers are falling out of the pocket.

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Load them until they split or the primer pockets get too loose.

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    WHAT? I thought you were supposed to load 'em once and throw 'em away. Man, I've gone through over four thousand .380's just this year!

Wish you guys had mentioned this earlier. Next you're gonna tell me that some people actually reload magazines too. HA... I'm too smart to fall for that one.

Jack

6. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    I can't seem to get any pictures to capture what I'm talking about, but out of my last batch of rounds before and after the tumbler, I've pulled about 20 rounds that have, for lack of a better term, spidering along the outer case wall. If you can imagine the spidering of a windshield, it kinda looks like that, numerous little scratches all interconnected.

Has anyone seen this before? Are these ok or should I dump them?

7. woncrzymof0

woncrzymof0

Jan 28, 2009
    NY
    I reload til I see a crack, or until I pick up a piece of brass off the ground and it is either bent or there is no primer in it.

8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Do a thumbnail test on them. If you don't feel any indentations along the marks, (snagging with your nail), they are most likely purely cosmetic and will have no effect on the brass.

If, on the other hand they are actual scratches then you need to track down the cause. It may be as simple as a dirty sizing die that needs to be cleaned to a chamber in a particular gun that needs attention.

It's also possible that your tumbling media has become contaminated and the marks are being created during the cleaning process.

Jack

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    If you aren't shooting 9mm major, 10x plus is easily done. I have 45acp brass that I can't read the headstamp on, it's been reloaded so many times.

10. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    fredj338
    I thought I was the only one that had this problem!:rofl:

OP: With out pictures I couldn't say, but it doesn't sound like a bad thing- carbon build -up on low power rounds is the norm! Yep I load them until they split or will not hold a primer!:supergrin:

11. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Yeah, my buddies laugh at me when we shoot together. It's pretty easy to sort our brass!:rofl:

12. whatsupglock

whatsupglock

Nov 20, 2009
    Same here.

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I reuse them all till I use them or they split. If the primer pockets loose then I would toss it but that seldom happens.

14. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I have a cat litter bucket full of brass. I have gone threw it about 6 times now. I well keep going until I get quite a few slips. 4 or 5 in 400 too 500 rds. I well then get rid of that batch and start all over.
    I have a mesh bag that I put the brass in at the range. I shake the bag, this gets rid of the sand and dirt, also I listen for a tinny sound. If I do, that means that I have a split case in the bag.
    You well find at least I have. It does not happen all the time I think I have had one or two times where there were no splits in the case until after it was resized. Just something too look out for.

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Fireman doesn't trust us. He posted over at Brian Enos as well. Sneaky guy even has a different screen name over there as well. I responded to his thread over there with the exact opposite advice just to screw with him.

JK

16. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I am with jack. reload them once and let them fly. Problem is I have a five gallon bucket full. I can never remember which ones are new and which ones need to be tossed.

17. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I do pay a lot more attention to rifle or magnum pistol brass.

18. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    :dunno: If you let them fly? Then how do they end back up in the bucket. I know you have Jack helping you. Since you are with Jack.:whistling:

19. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    If you adjust your powder load just right and set the bucket 1 foot to your right they will pick themselves up, actually they land in the bucket. You might not hit your target but picking up the brass isn't an issue.
    I can't believe jack didn't show you that trick. It is almost as good as putting some cornmeal in with your powder so that you clean your gun while you shoot it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  20. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Jack doesn't need to stoop to the level of mere commoners and employ cheap theatrical tricks... the butler gets paid to do the grunt work. :whistling:

Jack