close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How important is short trigger reset on a defensive pistol?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Lior, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Lior

Lior
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS=FREEDOM

Good morning GTers. If you are reading this, I like you.

Like many people here, I have been seeking the holy grail in carry guns for a long time. As we don't trust pistols for one shot stops, we try to equip and train ourselves to put to practice the adage "If it is worth shooting once, it is worth shooting again" - and "take our time quickly" while doing it.

Besides reliability and likelihood of carry when needed, important things to consider for a defensive pistol include trigger and grip morphology that contribute to decent practical accuracy, and part of this IMO is the ability to reset the trigger quickly. Here lies the issue.

When I carried Glocks I enjoyed the trigger reset and found it short and comfortable. Other manufacturers fare well to varying degrees with regard to trigger reset. Most SA 1911s do well in this respect, as do the H&K P7M13 and the CZ75 Shadow.

One needs to be comfortable when the trigger breaks, but having a long reset means manipulating the trigger at different speeds for different stages of the shot cycle, even at high speed. On my CZ Phantom, I found myself slapping the trigger instead of slowly releasing till reset before squeezing again to shoot quickly. Its reset is longer than a Glock's but shorter than for CZ's Omega trigger (e.g. P07 Duty), and is fine for a carry gun.

My ideal carry gun would be a lightweight double stack 1911 with a rail for lasers and stuff and a trigger as described above, but I have yet to find one that is available, so I soldier on with the Phantom while I compete with the awesome Shadow. I might adopt trigger slapping a bit more when shooting combat pistols as opposed to raceguns, to get some more speed out of them.

How important is short trigger reset for you folks, and what guns do you recommend with short trigger resets?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Boats

Boats
    Expand Collapse
    Not Assimilated

I own and shoot 1911s, which have trigger reset qualities that make the Glock reset feel like garbage, and DA/SA pistols which don't have anything like a short and crisp reset. I also shoot DA revolvers which have to be fully stroked and reset to operate properly.

I guess my conclusion over the years is this: "Fast trigger reset" is more important to paper punchers and competition rigs than it is in reality. I think it's totally overrated.

It's one thing to feel for the reset click when there is no real, or only a game induced adrenaline dump, and quite another if the target is shooting back.

#2 Boats, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

Been shooting since the late 1950's and never was concerned about "trigger reset". Still ain't concerned.
    I'm not sure I even heard of it until I started hanging out at Glock Talk.

Also never heard of "limp wisting" until the Glocks came along.

So personally, trigger reset isn't important to me.

4. TheJ

TheJ
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member
    Lifetime Member

Whether that is in a defensive situation or competition, a short trigger reset is helpful for accurately placing successive rounds on target quickly..

Try a Walther PPQ. It's like the marriage of a Glock 19 an H&K P30. Striker fired, superb ergos and super short trigger reset.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

I think a good trigger is much more important than a short reset. Different types of triggers have vastly different reset properties, but all can be effectively used for SD/HD. My S&W revolvers have a very long reset, but are buttery smooth. They would be just fine in a defense situation.

6. 4Rules

4Rules
    Expand Collapse

7. CBennett

CBennett
    Expand Collapse

None to me because ive never shot from "reset" cant get myself to do it tried drilling for it but I just shoot well not from reset and im fine with that..so to me I dont care where it is or even if it has a noticeable or any reset point. non factor for me.

8. CBennett

CBennett
    Expand Collapse

^^^ also a good post lol...been in military and LE since the mid-late 80's and never heard anything about "limp wristing" till I came here and saw it mentioned about Glocks, none of the people who taught at and of the SRT schools,military schools,SWAT team schools,LE academies ever taught anything about trigger reset it was never even mentioned. First I heard that was in online forums so i figured id try to pay attention and learn something new..once I tried shooting from it and failed to find it any better(or worse) than what i was doing before I just forgot about it not worth the time...maybe in competition not in a RL situation when all that crap goes out the window anyways..

9. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

I never heard the phrase until PACT timers showed up and competitors started worrying about "split times" and such.

BTW if reset on an SA/DA is important, take a try on a S&W "39" series. We had it great way back and didn't even know it.

10. checkyoursix

checkyoursix
    Expand Collapse

In a nutshell, that.

I think that if you keep your focus on the front sights you are going to be just fine regardless of the reset. If you don't, you will be missing faster, maybe.

11. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

I like shorter resets on semi-autos due to faster follow-up shots. Adrenaline dumps are all fine and dandy, but we're not having them every time we practice and train, or at all.

When in a stress filled situation, you want those follow-up shots done quickly and accurately and if you have a long reset, you may or may not let the trigger out far enough for a second shot. Now the reset dosn't have to be super short, just enough will do.

I like my Beretta 92s and other DA/SA - DAO guns, but I can get quicker more accurate follow-up shots with my 1911s and recently bought Shield/M&P with an Apex sear and polished/rounded striker block.

The main thing that I see being important is having a positive reset. One that can at least be felt, if not also heard. It's feedback for the user and is more important on longer resetting triggers because of that adrenaline dump being mentioned. It's also about practice as well, but if you talk about it not mattering in a high stress situation, then you better train in a high stress situation or you might be slapping that trigger all over as well as the front sight when your faced with a real adrenaline dump.

#11 Nakanokalronin, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  12. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY
    Expand Collapse

I don't think in a real defensive situation as long as your used to the trigger it will make a bit of difference. Started off many years ago on DAO revolvers. Believe me you can shoot them very fast if you need to.
    The only problem I've seen people run into is when the switch from a short trigger rest system to a long one. Until they are used to the longer resetand trigger pull they will sometimes short stroke the trigger. Again it goes away as they become used to the new trigger.

13. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

How fast are you guys' followup shots? How fast do you think they'd be if someone's shooting back? Just curious.

14. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman
    Expand Collapse

Because I shoot my guns much more frequently for practice, training and matches than I do defending myself, it is important to me. If the time ever comes when I must use my gun to defend myself or my loved ones, I doubt it will matter much.

15. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

I've watched gunfight videos where 3rd gen S&W autos sounded like FA.
    I'd imagine it's the case with almost any gun you shoot often enough.
    Even Hinkley was flyin' with that RG .22 revolver in the Reagan attempt.

16. Comedian

Comedian
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if a short reset would be an advantage in a gun fight, but i do practice shooting to reset. So maybe since i practice that way, it might increase the chance that it would help in a deadly force situation. It does help me to shoot faster. Just as a low bore axis allows me to shoot faster.

17. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

Re: OP. If your playing games, then obviously faster is better. Otherwise, it is irrelevant. Any common SD/HD pistol of current modern design will be more than adequate. The Glock is outstanding as is a good quality 1911. The same is true of the Sigs, etc. The cognizant will of course opine differently. They always do. That's nothing new. Regardless it changes nothing.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

My guess is that I would not notice it in an actual situation.

19. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

I think a good quality reset (smooth and consistent) is much more important than having a short reset. A DA revolver with tuned trigger can be plenty fast. Ask Jerry M.

20. deputy tom

deputy tom
    Expand Collapse

I'm used to a DA S&W revolver so any reset is fine with me. YMMV.tom.:cool: