close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

how hard is it to change out a safety?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by NDLAWRENCE, Jan 7, 2011.

1. NDLAWRENCE

NDLAWRENCE

Aug 16, 2009
    how hard is it to change out a safety on a kimber custom? im left handed so i going to need to change it out. also any ideas on where to find one?
    Thanks,
    Nathan

2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Which safety? It'll need to be fit for proper operation.

3. 1006

Aug 12, 2007
    Newnan, Georgia
    This is one of those times that an exact answer is not possible -- it depends on your abilities in this type of work. If you are used to working with files and reading directions and have a means to hold the safety while you file it, and you are very careful to check and recheck, it is about an hour from start to finish. You can look at your old safety for an idea of how to file the new one. If you botch it up its is another 30 bucks for a the part and shipping. I like Cylinder and Slide parts for first timers, because they come with some directions. Others may also come with guidance. Kimber will likely do it for a reasonable price, but any local 1911 smith can handle it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  4. NDLAWRENCE

NDLAWRENCE

Aug 16, 2009
    this may be a dumb ? but can you not buy a left handed thumb saftey from kimber and just drop in without filing?

5. NDLAWRENCE

NDLAWRENCE

Aug 16, 2009
    well thats sucks lol i guess ill do some more research then give it a go:wavey:

6. Nubbins

Nubbins

Dec 1, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    If you do try it you may want to use a 10-8 Armorer Block to help in fitting safety.
    [​IMG]

7. ambluemax

ambluemax

Feb 6, 2007
    If you have to ask, you shouldn't attempt it. A hack fitting job on a safety is a stupid reason to shoot yourself in the foot. Spend $20 and have a gunsmith do it for you.

8. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  9. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    If your going to an ambi safety, I have found no better model than this: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=...7c187_a_7c745_a_7c168000108_d_168000105_d_729
    It has a square shaft, grip tab and modified hammer pin that locks into the groove of the right side half. The only 1911 I ever wanted a ambi safety on is my Colt Rail Gun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It took very little fitting and I like that if the right side is completely out, the safety still works and stays in place. There are no half shafts or slots to connect one side to the other.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  10. NDLAWRENCE

NDLAWRENCE

Aug 16, 2009
    ive got a couple more questions. do you have to fit the hammer and sear if you replace them?
    Thanks For the help,
    Nathan

11. If all your doing is replacing the thumb safety you shouldn't need to. The reason for filing on the thumb safety where you do is to fit it to the hammer and sear.

12. NDLAWRENCE

NDLAWRENCE

Aug 16, 2009
    i was talking about changing out the hammer and sear for a wilson combat hammer and sear will that need to be fitted also

13. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    My 1911 armorer instructor taught us how to use the witness holes of a GI mag as a jig.