close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How good is your shot?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by wrx04, Oct 27, 2010.

1. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    Considering how knowledgeable most of you guys are, i assume most of you can shoot the lights out. What do your typical groupings look like? Say indoor range, 7 yards, slow fire....single hole/1" spread/more?

Right now, if i FOCUS, i end up with about a 2.5" spread with eight rounds. I tend to get impatient though, and shoot a little quicker....usually end up with a 4" hole in the target with maybe 3 or 4 fliers after 100 rounds. Just trying what a good goal is while i practice.

2. first time with my DW CCO. 50 rounds at 7 yards. A few fliers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1006

Aug 12, 2007
    Newnan, Georgia
    Here is my best effort at 25 yards with a 2 handed grip-- with my S&W model 64.

Six shots--2 on the X

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    I am nowhere near the shot of the fine gents I shoot with (Quack & Knedrgr), but this is my best target so far...

30 rounds @ 7 yards. Federal 9mm from a Kimber ProCarry2. First shot was high right...the rest a little better.

[​IMG]

5. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    I will take a camera and calipers to the range tomorrow to see what mine actually looks like. Ive been shooting my reloads lately (and i'm a rookie at it), so maybe i'll shoot some WWB just so its consistent. Thanks for posting your pics guys

6. ambluemax

ambluemax

Feb 6, 2007
    Honestly I could care less. I'm a sharpshooter level IDPA competitor who is usually in the hunt to win CDP and top 10 overall in our club matches. That's how I measure my skill level. A 4" group scores the same as an oblong hole, after that the only thing that matters is how quickly you solve the problem.

7. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    I like that. And you are right, it doesnt even matter. I am assuming though, the good IDPA shooters could make a pretty tight group if they took their time.

I am planning to start shooting IDPA after i get a couple months of more practice. I tried some rapid fire at the range today and managed to keep all the rounds in the "A" zone, guess thats all that matters in competition, or real life for that matter.

8. Aiden

Aiden

Apr 27, 2010
    Illinois 61550
    I haven't shot my .45 slide in awhile since I'm waiting on a batch of Wilson followers, but I did shoot a couple hundred .22lr two days ago in a quick range trip between studying for tests. Sorry for not shooting the manly caliber.:crying:All shots two-handed standing.

[​IMG]

Lots of fliers, I'm still new to shooting so I tend to shoot just to shoot when I'm by myself. 7yards, 10 shots at each 2inch square. Started at the bottom and worked my way up. Winchester bulk
    [​IMG]

20 rounds of Aguila Interceptor gave me my best 7yard groupings of the day. 2inch squares
    [​IMG]

My 15 yard bullseye target, 10 shots of Winchester bulk
    [​IMG]

I concentrated really hard on this one (didn't rush and worked for a steady trigger pull every time), last target of the day, and had compensated for shooting low and to the right. First shot was dead center. 25 yards with Federal bulk. 30 rounds on standard bullseye target. Best shooting I've done in awhile

[​IMG]

9. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Well I am not a competition shooter and I also could honestly care less how tight my groups are. If I am under a high stress adrenaline infused SD situation and I should happen to fire my weapon, if I can keep my rounds to a 6" group in BG's chest, they will be effective and I may walk away with my life. :supergrin:

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    My G27 will shoot a one shot group at 100yds. I can cover it with a nickel.

:cool:

11. Aiden

Aiden

Apr 27, 2010
    Illinois 61550
    I'm just hoping the patience and trigger work put into shooting a tight group will translate to "A" zone hits when I start shooting USPSA.

12. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    Without a question, thats all you need in a self defense situation. Hell, i was probably good enough to do that after only a few weeks (maybe days) after i started shooting.

The thing is, if i'm gonna make this my hobby, i wanna be able to show off a little:cool:

13. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    If i bare down & focus i can keep em at about 2" at 7 yards. Though i generally practice more for defensive shooting on silhouettes.

14. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Dude, if you want to show off...you merely need the proper tools.

[​IMG]

15. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    That thing is AWESOME!!:rofl::rofl:

Seriously, thats my next gun. Seriously.

16. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Quack knows where you can find one...and Cerebrus knows where you can get pink grips for it. :whistling:

17. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    all shot hand held...

~10yards
    [​IMG]

Kobra Carry @ 15yards
    [​IMG]

2nd or 3rd magazine through Remington R1 @ 7yards
    [​IMG]

first time shooting the Reminton at 15yards. 1st 4 shots were high as i was trying to see where the POA/POI was.

[​IMG]

15yards
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Hey rookie, we know where you've been hiding out... loaders have spies everywhere. :supergrin:

Before the advent of IPSC style shooting there were really only two pistol disciplines; NRA bullseye and PPC. Most older shooters typically started out with three gun NRA shooting, rimfire, .38 and .45, shot offhand at 25 and 50 yards. While certainly not as exciting as some of the more modern types of shooting and competition it provided for an excellent foundation in all forms of shooting sports.

Very few really get into bullseye style shooting anymore but given the opportunity do not pass it up... although different than what you may be used to it is every bit as challenging.

This is an example of one of my 'losing' targets shot at a NRA match. 25 yards offhand with a 6 inch model 19. (I used to shoot with some very, very good shots who made my groups look like shotgun patterns.)
    [​IMG]

Now get back over to reloading and learn how to stuff that 1911 of yours. :whistling:

Jack

19. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    I can't believe someone at Taurus saw this and said, "yeah, lets put it on the market!". This pistol would go good for someone who tries to dress REALLY fancy with the cheapest clothes they can find.

20. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    Very impressive buddy:thumbsup: