close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How effective would a 22LR rifle be for home defense?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by CDR_Glock, May 27, 2013.

1. JK Freak

JK Freak OffRoadRenegade

Apr 20, 2013
    Toledo Ohio
    The opp is talking about a rifle, which is leaps and bounds ahead of a pistol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

2. Like many here I'll agree that A .22LR in hand and aimed at a threat is better than harsh language and a sharp stick.

One major reason I wouldn't want to use a .22lr handgun or rifle as a defensive option if given a choice is not due to the inability of the round to stop a bg from doing what they are in the action of doing, my one reason for not wanting a rimfire for defensive use is because of a FTF.

If you would like for other family members to have a defensive arm that they can use due to low recoil, my suggestion would be a .410 pump shotgun. True it lacks the firepower of a 12 gauge but offers more punch than a .22 with about the same recoil impulse, without the dreaded "click" instead of "boom" worry if a defensive encounter should ever happen.

#4 Buck and '000' buck loads are on the market and used Mossberg 500E's can be found on the cheap in most gun stores or pawnshops.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I wouldn't say leaps and bounds. The round gains some velocity, but you're still shooting a 30gr bullet.

4. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    What handgun are you referring to?

If its anything from a 380 on up, it's laughable. The 22 LR is not a self defense round. It will work, yes, but to say you would rather use a rimfire rifle over a 9mm is a joke.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  5. To be honest a long gun is easier to aim and get lots of good hits with than a handgun, and while a .22 rifle isn't optimal in caliber, repeat hits fired in rapid secession is better than one hit and a few misses with even a large caliber handgun.

Factor multiple hits in one or several vital areas and the threat will not be a threat for very long.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I'm not sure constant repeat hits would always be feasible during a home invasion. To suggest using a 22lr over a good center fire pistol or revolver with modern SD ammo is just ridiculous, in my opinion.

7. Respectfully that's your opinion and you are welcome to it.

If the person that is going to use said firearm, knows how to run it and can make accurate hits with it, the .22 rifle will do the job.

8. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    Let me speak from experience I've been shot with a 22 it hurt like hell burned and felt like it was going through me in slow mo, that being said it walked back to where I could call an ambulance, bleeding was minimal wound was through and through, it was in my left leg, I walked a half mile with a limp.
    I was shot while hunting by another hunter, I would not want to be shot in the torso think it would be very effective...

9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I'm not saying it won't or can't do the job. I'm saying that there are far, far better choices. If someone thinks they can make real accurate shots in the dark under that kind of stress, more power to them.

If I'm going to use a long gun for home defense, it will be a shotgun.

10. I agree, there are better choices for such a task.

But if the .22lr rifle is what the shooter is well trained in using, the smaller caliber long arm is the best option for that shooter.

Plus rapid fire is easier to pull off with a higher probability of hits when using a semi-auto rifle/semi-auto or pump action shotgun.

I'm also not saying that a handgun won't get the job done, but handguns are used when no other option is available or when trying to fight ones way to a long gun.

11. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Aug 14, 2001
    Almost Heaven

I told ya not to wear that durn squirrel suit to the woods! But didja listen? Nope. :upeyes:

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :faint:

That statement is a bunch of nonsense. There are handgun rounds, like the 500mag that have more muzzle energy from an 8" revolver than a 30-06 has from a 24" rifle and fires a much heavier round to boot.

Are you actually trying to say that you're endorsing a 22lr for HD because you're firing it from a long gun? Are you trying to say a rifle in 22lr is superior to a handgun firing a legitimate service round, simply because it's a long gun? Do you have any knowledge of ballistics?

So I shouldn't use a handgun for its lack of power, but I should rely on a rimfire instead? What exactly are you trying to say? :dunno:

Damn, I think I'm going to retire my 45 Colt Redhawk for HD and start using my 10/22 instead. :rofl:

13. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas
    I think my 10/22 with a 25 round magazine could be pretty effective against an intruder.

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Certainly, but I'd much rather use a large bore JHP.

22lr is not a self defense round. Yes, it will and has done the job, but I see absolutely no reason why anybody would put themselves at that disadvantage. The idea of relying on multiple shots and hits in a home invasion situation seems rather foolish to me.

Unless you're limited to the 22lr for some reason, there are far, far better choices. In fact, it would be one of my last choices in a HD firearm.

15. What I'm saying is hits matter, and more hits can be put on target with a long gun.

the .22lr isn't the best option, but sticking to the defined limits as stated in the O.P. the .22lr is all the person in the original post has at this point in time until something better is found.

You seem to be putting too much stock in caliber alone.

16. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    A 25-30rnd mag is swell and everything, just hope none are duds. (ie; don't load up on fed bulk to git r done).
    I'm not using a 9mm handgun to fight my way to a .22 rifle.

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I'm putting stock in using not only the right caliber, but the correct choice in ammo, as in a good self defense JHP.

You seem to be putting far too much stock in getting multiple hits in on an assailant during a home invasion.

18. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, the whole comment he made suggesting a 22lr was a better choice then a service caliber handgun just because its being fired from a long gun was pretty funny.

That's why I asked if he knew anything of ballistics and/or bullet design.

Yes, a 22 rifle will work for home defense IF its your only option. Saying its somehow superior to a 9mm or 45ACP handgun (or any good service caliber) is a complete joke.

19. Yes I do understand ballistics and bullet design.

Which is why my choice is a .410 shotgun over any caliber handgun, because it's more powerful than a standard caliber handgun and I can get better hits in a hurry with said shotgun than you could with a handgun at the distances involved.

If the subject were service caliber handguns for close range defense I wouldn't argue your choice of 9mm or .45 acp, but my choice for that would be my S&W Governor loaded with '000' buck because of the higher projectile count per trigger pull and firepower at close range which equals a better chance of inflicting structural damage to a threat, at extended range I would rather use either my AR-15 or a .308 rifle, but extended range isn't the issue nor will it be the issue in a home defense situation.

Do people have standard caliber handguns for defensive use? Yes and those firearms are used very well considering the minimal effectiveness.

Do they work? Yes they do, but not as well as a long gun.

Would a pistol caliber carbine work? Yes it would and it would work much better than a handgun in the same caliber, due to being able to get more hits in a vital area in a short amount of time, with the advantage of a boost in velocity.

Keep in mind that no one is questioning your ability to get hits with a handgun, but the subject of the O.P. is a young lady that might not have the same capability to effectively use a handgun to defend herself or home at this point in time.

As for the info from the O.P. she has limited exposure to anything except a semi-auto .22 lr rifle, of which I assume she can use effectively through time spent shooting the rifle,and learning how to run it properly.

20. Better than nothing, and for those that have not shot a "real" gun in a house at night with no ear protection, there is the advantage you would not be night blind and deaf for a time.