close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How effective would a 22LR rifle be for home defense?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by CDR_Glock, May 27, 2013.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm just curious. I have a Sig 522 SWAT. It's very accurate. I thought of letting my daughter have it since she's comfortable with it. She is still too young but I figure I can think about the options until then. How effective would it be for home defense?

2. paulbow

paulbow

Jan 27, 2009
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Not completely ideal but better than nothing.

It would certainly make someone have a very bad day.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

janice6 likes this.

3. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Fill it with some CCI Velocitors

janice6 and cardguy like this.
  4. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Mar 25, 2003
    Tennessee
    Depends on how many times you shoot them and where. A mag full to center mass would be ideal

janice6 likes this.
  5. About like an ice pick.

Stab someone 25 times with an ice pick and they will probably change their plans.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

janice6 likes this.
  6. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Mar 25, 2003
    Tennessee

janice6 likes this.
  7. better than nothing, but to address you question on effectiveness? It would not be as effective as a 380 9mm 40 45 10 357sig/mag etc...........

Any large heavier perp with thick clothing might need a full mag COM and possible one to the head. To full stop the threat.

So if your serious about Defense a 22lr would not be in your vocabulary imho.

8. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Hooah, Hooah.

Apr 10, 2009
    The Sunshine State
    Unless you are fighting people wearing armor, of course it will.

janice6 likes this.
  9. onesock73

onesock73

Apr 25, 2013
    That's right.

The ability to deliver multiple rounds where you want has an advantage. I would feel comfortable with mine unless its multiple attackers. One BG in my house and me with 15 rounds ain't going to end good for him.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

janice6 likes this.
  10. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I taught my daughter to handle my Ruger Mark II when she was 14 years old because a more powerful pistol was too much for her to handle at the time. I do keep it loaded with Velocitors when it's in the safe. I imagine the Sig 522 would be an excellent self-defense choice for a younger child developed enough to safely handle both the weapon and responsibility.

11. Its one of those things id use only as a last resort type deal...id never have it as my primary nor grab it first or think that with it I was well defended...But its better than not having anything thats for sure.

Just like the .380 acp thread from a bit back..would i feel under gunned with a .380 :YES

Would I feel under gunned with a .22lr as a SD weapon :YES

But id rather have SOMETHING than NOTHING.

janice6 likes this.
  12. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    depends on where you hit them. a 2 in the throat will wreck most people's day. not the best choice, better than nothing.

janice6 likes this.
  13. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    It will work very well. Teach her how to get it into action quickly. Use excellent ammo and not bargain basement ammo. Use magazines proved to be reliable. Those who obsess on the latest issue of Chicken Little 2.0 will of course disagree. Let them. It's their nature. It doesn't have to be your nature. Instead, use your common sense. Set the rifle up as suggested and make sure your daughter is familiar with it and capable of using it quickly. More than likely she will never have to use it. But, if the sad day ever comes when she has to put it to use for HD, it will work very well. Later, if she wants a firearm with more power, etc., there will be plenty of time to look around and make an appropriate choice.

janice6 and LimeyLad like this.
  14. I agree that it's better than nothing especially if I was too feeble to handle anything larger to it was all I had available to me. Fortunately, I'm not in that situation. That is what I have larger serious defensive guns for. Of course, one can hope that there isn't multiple armed intruders. One can hope that your attacker isn't wearing armor. One can hope that their attackers aren't hopped up on drugs like a zombie that are unaware or caring that they have a few extra holes in them. One can hope that they can stay calm enough under high stress situations and in low light to make a hit on a vital area. Me, I believe that hope is not a tactic I want to rely on. Hope if for winning the lottery, not as a foundation for the defense of myself or my family. I want that deck stacked in my favor as much as possible and the .22 for me is NOT what I want to play that hand with! If you are willing to use one, that's up to you, the individual. As or me, like I said, it's last ditch use only and NOT what I am going to grab in the middle of the night to go around finding what just went, "bump!"

15. Certainly more powerful than a .380 from a pistol would be :)

16. porschedog

porschedog

Sep 29, 2009
    A hail of 22lr - or even 380 FMJ - will ruin a perp's day. Use what you have and be well versed in its use.

janice6 likes this.
  17. Booker

Booker

May 10, 2006
    Prison
    I keep several 22lr carbines for home defense! They are light weight, reliable, and everyone in the house can use them.

18. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Yes, there are more effective home self-defense weapons than .22lr, but in the hands of a young boy or girl with the knowledge to handle it safely and with resolve any bad guy would have a very bad hair day having that youngster unload 20-25 rounds rapid fire into him.

janice6 likes this.
  19. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Somewhere around here is a four year long thread on this very topic which explored every conceivable .22 round, firearm, situation, experience, opinion, tv show, movie, magazine article, and documented historical incident involving a 22 used in any shooting that ever happened. The conclusion is that having any kind of gun for self defense is better than not having one.

I was mistaken, the thread I mentioned is 7 years long and still going. Here it is....

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620048&highlight=22+defense

Last edited: May 30, 2013
    janice6 likes this.
  20. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

Jun 3, 2011
    Kentucky
    Less than a year ago here, there was a WW2 vet who had been getting burglarized while he slept. One night he heard them come in, waited at the top of the stairs while they were breaking in from the garage. One shot, one kill. He said to the reporter " I figured the only way to stop'em was leave one laying in the grass". .22 works if you hit the right area.

janice6 likes this.