close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How does this brass look?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by .556, Oct 4, 2011.

1. .556

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisiana
  2. Is there a substantial amount of brass scraped off, or is it just superficial?

I'm more interested in what would cause that.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

3. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    If it straightens out and there is not a chunk taken out of the brass you should be ok. I have reloaded some plinking rounds with some pretty narly rims . Those are the drop and forget rounds. Or pick up and recycle to be PC.

4. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Nov 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Load 'em up no problem. My gen 2 G23 makes those look like unfired brass. The dies will straighten those out no problem. Here is what mine does.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    These aren't even the worst of them.

5. Frank V

Frank V

Jan 20, 2011
    S.W. Montana
    I would load those with no qualms. The sizing die will straighten them out when they aren't bent any worse than the pictures you show. Sometimes even when they are bent a lot worse. I think you are good to go.
    Frank

6. .556

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisiana
    Oh wow!! I should be good; my gun doesn't damage them that bad! :shocked:

7. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    My 23 used to do the same thing (I have since traded it away). I have reloaded that brass a couple times since then. You should be just fine.

8. G36_Me

G36_Me

Aug 4, 2009
    any idea what causes this type of phenomenon?

I would also reload brass in that condition. I draw the line when the deformation is a crease vs. a gentle bend as I have plenty of brass to reload and the Apocalypse isn't coming until next year.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  9. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    Love that avatar. My gen 3, G23 leaves the same scratches and often a small ding at mid case. Never a problem reloading (multiple times), although in the 40 I do keep the loads in the midrange.

10. Frank V

Frank V

Jan 20, 2011
    S.W. Montana
    Some of the flattening of the case mouth can be caused by the case spinning out of the ejection port & hitting the slide just behind the ejection port. It could also be caused by not quite clearing the ejection port on the way out & getting flattened a bit.
    Frank