close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How does everyone feel about Smith and Wesson?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Jmantattoo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Jmantattoo

Jmantattoo
    Expand Collapse

Im sure most of you on here have read Glock:America's Gun or know the story of Smith and Wesson selling out to Andrew Cuomo. I understand that they are now owned by someone new and have since parted ways with the gentleman responsible for signing that aweful piece of paper. I hear the M&P's are good guns but I dont think I will ever give The Smith's a shot due to this past. Just wondering if I was alone in this thinking. Im sorry I am not a Glock Fanboy, I do absolutely love them but I am also a fan of the Springfield XD(m) line and other guns. How does the gun owning community feel about SMith now. I know that the yearlong boycott by the NRA is long since over although it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. JaPes

JaPes
    Expand Collapse
    Rimfire 1010101

I have warm fuzzy feelings towards S&W.

3. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

I actually didn't know anything about it.

The only gun company I boycott is HS Precision.

4. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

I liked the 3rd Gen SA/DA Smiths. For me, Glock > Springfield > S&W.

I own a couple of Leatherman tools, despite the fact that the owner is a known liberal. Don't really care...

Companies exist for the purpose of selling me things. I use the power of my wallet to help prod them into making the best product. I don't play politics with capitalism.

5. s&wfan

s&wfan
    Expand Collapse

It is flat out idiotic to hold the actions of Ruger and S&W against them during the assault weapons ban years.

GLOCK, Sig, HK, & Beretta are all foreign companies who have the bulk of their business with military/law enforcement and were able to churn out high cap mags at will during the gun ban because they could either sell them as surplus/grandfather them in during the AWB.

S&W and Ruger were US native manufacturers who had to basically grin and bear it during the ban years and try to work behind the scenes to fight what was going on. Their main market was US consumers.

So naturally, S&W and Ruger are going to give soundbites to make it sound like they have no problem with the AWB. They were fighting for their very survival, the Euro gun makers were not.

You have to look at things for five minutes and think about "why".

6. JBnTX

JBnTX
    Expand Collapse
    Texas

Thank You!

It's also just as stupid to rant on and on about MIM and cast parts.

Smith and Wesson firearms of today are the best that's ever been produced.

Better metal, better machining, but a piss poor quality control program
    that lets more lemons and defective guns escape the factory undetected.

That's the only problem with today's S&W firearms.

If you want to let politics dictate your firearms purchases, go ahead.
    I don't!

#6 JBnTX, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  7. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Heartburn. I feel heartburn.

[​IMG]

8. s&wfan

s&wfan
    Expand Collapse

I wonder why no one is calling for boycotts on H&K after they got caught selling guns to our enemies in Afghanistan (or was it Iraq?).

And the guy who owns Kahr is kind of a looney, but I'd still own one of their pistols (and/or a Desert Eagle).

9. clancy

clancy
    Expand Collapse

That just doesn't look right.

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Great customer service.

Another 5-10 years and M&Ps may displace Glock as the #1 police pistol.

#10 cowboy1964, Mar 16, 2012
  11. Adam5

Adam5
    Expand Collapse

And let me guess, you will never own anything German because of WWII either?

12. T-Rod45

T-Rod45
    Expand Collapse
    Loves The Glock

While Glock is my favorite pistol brand overall, my favorite pistol model is probably my Smith&Wesson M&P9 Pro...

13. DonD

DonD
    Expand Collapse

I really agree with most of what you've said. Lemons do come out, I'm just not sure that there are so many more than in the past, just the 24/7 nature of the internet lets the dissatisfied blab their unhappiness to the world.

The fact that the S&W revolvers and I suspect the others as well are built of much stronger materials to tighter specs won't stop the "pinned and recessed" crowd from complaining. Nothing but old will make them happy. Even there, I suspect they'd find something to complain about even if the lock were removed. Don

#13 DonD, Mar 16, 2012
  14. Jmantattoo

Jmantattoo
    Expand Collapse

Oh no, I dont mind German things, and i was passed down a Smith and Wesson 422. I know they make good guns, that is not the point. I would rather support a company that supports my 2nd amendmant rights though. Smith and Wesson didnt have to agree to anything. I know that the NRA is a little severe at times but you have to be to protect what is important to you. Like I said, I have nothing against Smith's products. I do prefer the Glock and XD to the M&P though. Just feels better to me. If a terrorist was selling hotdogs to pay for parts for a bomb would you buy a hotdog from him? This is kind of my line of thinking.

15. Glock26z

Glock26z
    Expand Collapse

Thank God,I own all Ruger Products now. Built better and,lasts longer than any humans.

16. southernshooter

southernshooter
    Expand Collapse

Every S&W I have ever owned or fingered has been like poetry in my hands.

17. Gregg702

Gregg702
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

I currently own 5 S&W revolvers, and also 2 Ruger revolvers. I love them all, they work as advertised.

18. s&wfan

s&wfan
    Expand Collapse

Your line of thinking makes no sense. You want to have selective outrage.

If S&W and Ruger had tried to fight the government during the AWB years, they would have had legal fees out the wazoo.

And it's nothing like a terrorist selling hotdogs. That is probably the worst analogy I've seen written in my entire life.

It's more like a guy (S&W) sitting at his work, and a thug (the Clinton government) runs in with a gun to his face and says, "If you voted for Ronald Reagan, I will kill you."

At this point, the guy can either be a brave soul and say, "I voted for The Gipper! Do what you will!" and then heroically brace for a round to the face, or he can make the decision to denounce Reagan as a tyrant (even though he doesn't believe it) because what's on the line is his existence and his ability to continue providing for his family.

So what do you do?

S&W (and Ruger) decided that it was better to live to fight another day.

Fault them for it if you will. It boggles my mind that anyone would.

And also, you don't like the NRA?

Really? Even though, in the face of a very anti-gun government regime, they've won major, major victories in Chicago, Washington DC, and in national parks-related gun owners' rights issues? Ok. Go ahead, don't like the NRA. I'm trying to sign people up.

#18 s&wfan, Mar 16, 2012
  19. jtull7

jtull7
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero
    CLM

I have never owned a revolver other than S&W. I never will. And, I do own and have owned a lot of revolvers.

20. oldnoob

oldnoob
    Expand Collapse

S&W? I hear they make great Taurus' 410 revolver clone.

:tongueout: just joking. Don't think too much to it. While I not a revolver fan, they still make quality revolvers (just with a stupid lock on it :upeyes:).