close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How do you track the # times your brass has been loaded?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Kwesi, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    For semi auto pistol brass: Do you use a colored marker around the primer, put a mark on the case itself or what? Is the color removed when tumbled with Corn Cob? I have my 10mm brass in mind.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    Pistol brass? Dont track that stuff. I lose it long before it wearing out is a concern.

For long range rifle I just load up 500 rounds and use them for the life of the barrel. After a few thousand rounds the barrel is toast and the brass has been loaded 5-6 times at that point. New barrel = new brass.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    For rifle, I keep them in 60-100rd plastic boxes & write it on the lid. For handgun, I don't bother but for a 100 set aside for hunting guns like the scoped 44mag.

4. dhgeyer

dhgeyer

Jul 15, 2011
    I load and shoot by the box, 50 or 100 round batches. Every time I reload a batch I relabel the box with all pertinent information: Date, load data, brand of cases or mixed, and how many times the batch has been reloaded. It's not perfect, as I lose a case here and there, which I replace with once fired cases. This last only applies to semi-autos of course. I don't lose revolver cases. After the batch has been reloaded what I consider to be its life, I recycle the whole batch in buckets provided at my club.

5. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I have a bucket in the reloading room full of brass that I work out of. I go to the range and shoot X number of rounds. I take the brass and run them through Walnut media with dryer sheets. Those then go in the bucket by the tumblers. I keep doing this until all the brass in the bucket that is in the reloading room is empty. I then run the brass that is by the tumblers through corn cob media and 50/50 mixture of mineral spirits and Nu-Finish car polish. Those then go into the bucket in the reloading room and I start all over again. I do this 6 times then they go in a bucket for lost brass matches. I keep tack in my head but you could somehow mark the container or just put a note in the bucket. I loose every little brass other than the lost brass matches.
    Rifle brass is like what Fred said.

6. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    Thanks. I edited the OP to state semi auto pistol brass (10mm).

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
  8. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    If I didn’t lose the brass in the lost brass matches. I still would do it the same way. But when I started to get a fair amount of split cases then I would get rid of that brass in those buckets and start over.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Pistol brass... When it splits.. I've had it to long.. :)

10. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Pistol brass never, load it till it spilts.

AR rifle, I mark the boxes 2nd, 3rd, etc. I keep those 2 gallon ice cream bins labeled as such. Once the fill up I load a batch of 500 or so. By the 4th firing. I usually leave it on the ground at a lost brass match.

11. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    Loading pistol brass. If it splits , you must quit .

12. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    I do load until that vertical split occurs. The reason I asked is because I've read some posts that limit top end loads to brass only fired x times.

13. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    I can tell how many times my .45 has been loaded. There is an extractor mark on the rim of the case for every time it has been fired. I have some brass that has been loaded 5 or 6 times and it still works great!!!

14. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    If you are going to run max loads in your 10mm, then I would sort by times fired. The brass is going to fail sooner than later.

15. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Till the cases split or I don't like how the primer pocket feels as I'm priming the case,then it becomes scrap. SJ 40

16. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Put a tally mark on the brass with a fine sharpie every time it is loaded and then wrap case several times with clear box tape to prevent the sharpie mark from being removed.:whistling:

I just shoot until it starts to look real rough and wore out and the rim has a excessive marks on it.:supergrin:

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    10mm load data is not really that high of pressure. Never had a split case cause me any issues. I never even notice it even.

18. Pistol brass I don't bother counting.
    Rifle brass, especially 30.06 goes into old kitty litter jugs. I have them marked as once fired, twice etc.
    .223 I haven't been good about keeping track of firing cycles.
    .17 Remington Center fire brass usually splits at the neck after two or three loads. It sort of eliminates itself.

19. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I don't. Since I don't know if it's my brass or someone else's, I just ensure that I inspect each case.

20. Firecop203

Firecop203

Aug 23, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I've never tried to keep track of how many times they've been loaded. I inspect before the next loading. It if doesn't pass the inspection, it goes into a scrap bucket.