Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

How do you store your brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by themighty9mm, Apr 5, 2011.

1. themighty9mm

Sep 19, 2008
    From the pictures I have seen, people tend to store their brass in containers with lids. Be it mason jars, some sort of tupperware, glad ware or things along those lines. I store mine in bins I found at home depote. They dont have lids. I am wondering if it will be a cause for concern? I have been doing it this way for around a year and have noticed no ill effects.
    So how do you do it?
  2. Flipz

Nov 9, 2009
    Ziplock bags and really large empty pretzel jars.

3. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

Feb 24, 2007
    Sumter, S.C.
    ziplock bags, then place them in a box.
  4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    All my 9mm dirty stuff goes in a 4 gallon empty kitty litter bucket with a lid. After cleaning it goes in old 1 gallon round plastic ice cream containers. Each holds about 2k and they stack nicely under my bench.
    My .223 brass goes in those plastic shoe storage boxes, each labeled in the various stages of processing.
  5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Unless you plan on storing brass outside and exposed to the elements brass requires no special storage procedures.

Leaving them in open containers is absolutely acceptable unless it actually rains or snows in your house. Over time the brass will tend to tarnish but that causes no ill effects and can be loaded as is with no concerns.

I have .38, .357, .44 spl., 44 mag and assorted rifle brass that have been stored in styrofoam inserts, exposed to the air sitting under the benches for well over 40 years that could all be loaded and shot today.

Other than a slight tarnishing they are no different than the brass I've had stored in sealed military ammo cans for the same amount of time.

6. MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Lots of ziplocks in a tote box.
  7. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    5 Gallon buckets.

If you can store your brass in ziplock back you need more brass: amateur.
  8. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    For the brass that will be reloaded near term: a combination of plastic (Folger) coffee cans, 30 & 50 cal ammo cans, and a few gallon size baggies.
    For long term storage - excess 9mm is stored in two USPS large flat rate shipping boxes, securely sealed.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  9. i keep a few empty cat litter buckets as well. i have a short bucket for clean 9mm and .223 each as well as tall buckets for dirty 9mm and .223. i have a couple full of once fired shotgun hulls and i keep one empty to take to the range with me. i keep the lids on them only because my wife is a neat freak and actually wanted me to put the brass in wicker baskets on a shelf so it looked neater. i just write on the buckets with a sharpie andstack them on the regular chrome wire shelving units.
  10. hoffy

Jun 12, 2007
    Buckets, boxes, the floor of my jeep, the floor of my reloading area, the only thing tha gets ziplocs is loaded ammo and brass I have polished so I can find it in the grass. I am somewhat of a slob(the wife gave up years ago) and I doube there is a room in the house that does not have a least one casing in it. Now, I would not load brass that may be damp without drying it, I use a mseh garment bag hung in front of the basement (or kitchen:)) furnace register. I have had very dirty brass clean up with a few days of tumbling.....
  11. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    40 brass goes into 5 gallon buckets, .223 into 1 1/2 gallon ice cream buckets everything else goes into plastic coffee cans.
  12. ohspyro89

Oct 8, 2010

I have mine all between ziplock bags, and different buckets for whatever stage they are in.

Right now, I still have some of the once fired stuff I bought off line in the ziplock bags he shipped it in. It needs deprimed, resized, and all of that.

All of my once fired, once fired by me of course, goes into a separate bucket to save until I run out of the stuff I haven't shot.

I also have a 200-300 pieces of brass primed and sized, ready for powder and bullets that I have in a separate bucket that ****s right behind my press.

Oh yeah, one more bucket that I throw all the unusable brass in. I had 600 Berdan primed 5.56 rounds that I threw in there, along with 4k-5k empty 22 lr casings. I think the prices per pound of brass is pretty decent. I don't know the procedure though of scrapping it, but I will eventually.
  13. dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    MTM field boxes. They are gasketed, so a desicant pack goes in with them.
  14. Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    Unpolished is stored in a 5 gallon bucket in the garage.

Polished and lubed is stored in a 1 Gallon Christmas Tin in a drawer.
  15. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Buckets, bags, boxes, I have it piling up in my garage, loading room, and the attic above my garage.
  16. sig357fan

Apr 8, 2008
    SW OH
    ONE GUY....ONE GUY.....said coffee cans, and plastic at that....

every reloading book I've ever read, with picture of a reloading room (tho they're old books with black and white pictures), had METAL coffee cans.

Good Lord, the smell of burn powder on dirty brass mixed with coffee grounds.......true Nirvana!!

17. MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I'm just relieved that nobody has told us about storing their brass in a hermetically sealed vault which simulates the atmospheric pressure at 3,722 feet above sea level.
  18. :exercise: Spazzy happy face for you! I like large pickle jars, screw the lids up and hang the base. I've used ziplock freezer bags, they rip under the zip part with too much brass, Kitty litter buckets are great. Depends on which press I'm using. Hand press goes in stages, many bags, progressive press, bigger buckets and bins. We all have our niche.
  19. 4 gallon trash cans or 5 gallon buckets for pickup that needs processing.
    Coffee cans(metal or plastic I'm not picky) for small quantity brass like 45 Colt and other similar.
    processed brass gets sealed into .50 cal ammo cans preparatory to loading.
  20. Far away from any of the Brass Bandits here on GTR :whistling: