close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How do you shoot...1 eye open or both?

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by 9mmXRAY, Mar 8, 2010.

1. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Feb 20, 2010
    Central Florida
    How does everyone here shoot?

I'm right handed and left eye dominant but more than 75% of the time I shoot open eyes and depending on cover I will use a different eye but both eyes open.

2. sapper1911

sapper1911

Nov 3, 2009
    Illinois
    Both open most of the time when less than 10-15 yards or so. 1 eye after that.

3. mercop

mercop

Jul 10, 2002
    PA
    Same way I would fight with open hands, a stick, or knife. Both eyes open. - George

4. Hedo1

Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania
    Both eyes open all the time. Why cut down your vision.

5. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    Both eyes open, now that I've learned the difference.

6. 6F0 Nick

6F0 Nick Just Wanna Fly

Jul 28, 2008
    East Coast
    I only sleep with one eye open. Everything else, including shooting, is done with both eyes open.

7. Shooting both eyes open really helps in transitions.

8. timbo813

timbo813

Jun 28, 2006
    SE Ohio
    I am right handed but left eye dominant. That makes it hard to shoot with both eyes open but I'm working on it. For now it's one eye.

9. Glock-1982

Glock-1982

Mar 1, 2010
    I shoot with both eyes open. Chuck Norris can sneeze with both eyes open.

10. mercop

mercop

Jul 10, 2002
    PA

The good thing is that during a shooting you will not notice this problem.

11. bfg1971

bfg1971

Apr 19, 2003
    Ewa Beach, HI
    I'm going to have to expirement a little. When I shot "combat pistol matches" I did both eyes open but for general target shooting its right eye only.

I made the transition to both eyes open with scoped rifle it shouldn't be that hard for pistol.

12. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Feb 20, 2010
    Central Florida
    Just takes practice... Dave Sevigny of Team Glock is also right handed left eye dominant. I took some advice I read of his that said... just practice drawing and extending the pistol to sight down your left eye.

Open eyes left eye dominant... look at the double glock image on the right with your left eye... and vice versa for right handed, right eye dominant.

I still do use my right eye... but not for anything farther than 10-15 yards

13. Fifty Thousand

Fifty Thousand

Mar 3, 2010
    Both eyes open except with a rifle. Or should I say a scoped rifle.

14. Both eyes unless for some reason I don't have both eyes...

But if I was to peak out from behind cover using the Ciirillo method, I might just use one eye so to expose as little of me as possible.

Deaf

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

Like this?

16. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    I shoot with both eyes closed. I mastered the art of blind ninja firearm handling in the third grade. I can visualize my target and see my bullet moving in slow motion. It is a ninja thing, you might not understand.... :mallninja:

Seriously though, it depends. If I am training for SD, normally both open. If I am cutting X's, one eye.

17. Drew,

It won't matter which hand you use. With the Cirillo method you cant the weapon 90 degrees, sort of 'homie' style, and shoot with the sights that way. At the closer ranges the sights are on fine enough.

Very very little of you is exposed. Just the gun's slide/barrel and your eyeball on that side.

Deaf

18. Has anyone ever noticed that with both eyes open the dominant eye sees the back of the gun as if is directly behind it, and the weak eye sees the back of the gun and a bit of a side view also?
    Once I realized this I was able to learn which one to "use" and which one to "ignore".
    Just thought that might help someone who is having trouble using both eyes.