close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How do you reduce trigger pull on a Series 80?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 15, 2010.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    What is the basic process for lightening the factory trigger pull weight on a Colt Series 80? I've heard its just a couple of inexpenseive parts, right? I'm new to the 1911 world so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Jul 4, 2005
    Replacing parts is not the answer. Fitting the ones that you have is. Any reputable smith should be able to do a trigger job on a 1911 in his or her sleep.

3. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    This...

you don't have to remove the 80 Series parts to get a nice trigger.
    My Remington R1 is at ~4# and is a decent trigger using stock parts.
    In the next week or so i should have my parts to build it and i'm keeping the 80 Series parts in it.

4. Edmo01

Edmo01

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  5. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio

FYI, the C&S sear spring is a factory Colt spring ;)
    the Colt sear spring is only $4

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=536684

i use Colt sear springs in my 1911's ;)

6. Edmo01

Edmo01

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    I didn't know C&S made Colt's springs...

There must have been a change to the factory springs since I bought this pistol new in 1984. There was a noticable difference when I changed it out with the C&S sear spring.

The Wilson trigger didn't lighten the trigger pull, but the added reach and overtravel screw made it fit me much better. This isn't a range gun and I wasn't after an ultra light trigger pull. However, these modifications made a self defense pistol trigger just a bit better.

Edmo

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    C&S doesn't make the Colt spring, they (as well as EGW) use the Colt spring.

the reason why there was a difference is because Colt adjusts the spring to achieve the correct trigger pull for the gun (when you buy it new). when you buy a replacement spring, it'll lighten the pull because it's not adjusted.
    when i swapped out the factory spring (to the Colt) in my TRP Champion the pull went for 4.5# down to 2# before i adjusted it back up to 4#

also make sure you have the proper pre-travel/take-up since you installed a new trigger.

8. cdunn

cdunn

Mar 5, 2008
    falls church,va