close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How do you pick a god out of the tens of thousands of options?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by IndianaMatt, May 1, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    According to the World Christian Encyclopedia, there are over 38,000 denominations of Christianity alone.

Further, there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups, and probably tens of thousands of smaller ones.

If there are so may lots to cast your eternal soul into, how does a person compelled to religion know their particular god or practice is the right one?

If one sect of Christianity considers the use of electricity a sinful vanity, while another has no problem with it, how do you tally the "god points"?

Seems like a pretty risky lottery to me, seeing as the price of the wrong choice is eternal damnation.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Best I can tell, whichever one your parents or significant other follow is almost certain to be "the one true religion.":rofl:

But, like you, I'd be interested in what religious people have to say.

3. Are you asking sincerely, or are you trolling?

4. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    Sincerely.

5. Actually it is fairly easy to pick a denomination out of Christianity.

There is only one God in Christianity so that narrows the search down to looking for which denomination is closest to God's revealed Truth.

The Bible is the Word of God passed down through the ages. God is able to protect His Word or He would not be God.

Out of the Bible there are only a couple of times that God wrote anything Himself so they must be pretty important.

God wrote the Ten Commandments Himself. Doesn't everyone believe in the Ten Commandments? Actually, No. There are many denominations that give lip service to them, but there are few that actually keep the Seventh-day Sabbath which is right in the heart of the Ten Commandments and points to the specific God of creation as His Sabbath day.

There are some groups that keep the Seventh-day Sabbath and neglect faith in Jesus and His sacrifice for our sins. Not a good choice to neglect the savior.

Now the Bible tells us itself by contrast which group is pleasing to God and which groups are lost.

Revelation 14:9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
    14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
    14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascends up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.
    14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

6. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    Most of those 38,000 Christian denominations agree on the essentials of the faith, as expressed in the creeds for instance. As far as non-essentials, I thought diversity was good?

You act like denomination A believes the other 37,999 to be going to hell, that is almost never true.

It is interesting how almost everyone all over the world believes in a god of some kind. Oh well, some people aren't interested in sex either.

7. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    Okay. That is all well assuming the only contender is Christianity.

But why choose Christianity and not, say, Buddhism?

8. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    My parents and wife were not raised in religious homes, all three are devout Christians today.

9. dbcooper

dbcooper

Mar 2, 2011
    The major determining factor is geography

10. void *

void * Dereference Me!

You've made a study of all 37,999 belief systems and noted which ones claim that there is an essential disagreement where the others are wrong enough to not be able to make it to heaven?

Or are you just claiming "that is almost never true" without really having a basis?

(Not that I would expect two sects that are very, very close to think the other would be going to hell, but in 40k denominations there's certainly got to be a sufficiently large difference that some of them will claim that sufficiently large groups of the rest, if not necessarily all, are wrong *enough*, if you get where I'm headed)

11. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    The OP asked how do you choose a god, what god is involved in Buddhism?

12. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    I went with the Church started by Christ Himself.
    Jesus only started one Church.

13. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    You tell me, how many of those denominations think everyone else is going to hell? Must be 15,000 or so if you're right. My statement is based on experience, I'm pretty familiar with the Christian world and don't see this attitude that atheists constantly overstate, you know, the myth that the Second Baptists think the First Baptists are going to hell, or the same attitude from the Missouri Synod Lutheran about the Wisconsin Synod.

14. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    This seems appropriate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPJQw-x-xho"]What if you're wrong?[/ame]

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I'm curious about how you even pick christianity to begin with.

Did you misunderstand the question, or are you ducking it?

I believe it is central to buddhism that there is no reason to believe in gods because there is no evidence that they exist. However, beyond saying "choose a god" in the title, the question is clearly intended to be, how did you choose this religion and no other and, right or wrong, buddhism is generally considered a religion.

16. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    Love it! I think the "sheerest accident" language towards the end pretty much answers my original query.

Dawkins is great.

17. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    Having a founder who fulfilled prophecy, performed miracles and rose from the dead is a good start.

How did you pick your worldview to the exclusion of all others?

18. void *

void * Dereference Me!

Well, ok. I think you're probably right as far as "everyone else", as everyone else is a pretty high standard.

Now, how many of those 38,000 have sufficiently large theological disagreements with large portions of those other 37,999 groups that they think large portions of those other groups are wrong enough to not make it to heaven?

I suppose you could start with the largest divisions. How many Protestant denominations think that the Catholics are wrong enough to not make it, and do the Catholics think that in general if you're Protestant you don't make it?

I don't know the specific answer to that, but I do know that there are Protestant denominations that think the Catholic Church is actually a tool of satan or something along those lines.

19. dbcooper

dbcooper

Mar 2, 2011

Yet had you been born in say... Saudi Arabia you would know that there is no God but God and Mohammed is his prophet, free to choose from one of those sects. It's geography.

20. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    Well, I cannot speak for Mr. Bren. But my own worldview - agnosticism - professes only what I do not know. I do not know that miracles were performed or god killed his son only to be resurrected or whatever.

And you do not know these things either. You feel them to be true and you want them to be true, but you do not know them. You do not and you cannot know them because I do not and cannot know them. And you do not possess powers of intuition or perception that I do not.

In contrast, I can easily testify to what I do not know. And I am quite content with life remaining a mystery. Its just so much more interesting that way.

Its a humble view.