How do you guys and gals like to field dress out a deer?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by gorwilla, Oct 25, 2013.

1. And what are your favorite tools?

side note,

It always gives me the weirds when the ticks cluster on the nose after ya skin their island of safety.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. Winch it upside down over a rubber barrell.
    Skin it down over the chest.
    Break the pelvis and let everything slide down in the chest.
    Take the hams boneless being careful not to cut any tendons.
    Cut out the outer back straps.
    Cut out the inner back straps.

Winch the carcass down into the barrell and go dump it.

The tool:
    Old Timer sharpfinger with a 3" blade.

Total time beginning to end:
    10-15 minutes.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Where are you guys from that you carry a barrel and a winch in the woods, or call tenderloins "inner backstraps"?:rofl:
  5. t8er

There are "inner backstraps". I've always called them mouse meat. They are great pieces that taste fantastic. Personally I slice from the butt to the start of the breast bone and pull out the guts. then provided its cool enough I hang em for a couple of days before butchering. I will pull out the mouse meat ahead of time and fry them up with some lawry's. DELICIOUS! I use some cheap knives I got from RMEF that hold an edge real well plus I have a Boker Dozier that does a great job and holds a super sharp edge.
  6. t8er

The mouse meat is in the chest cavity on the underside of the backstrap.
  7. I hunt family land and we have our own skinning shack with a roof, cement floor, winch, water spigot, hose and nozzle. The barrels are plastic barrels that formerly carried liquids that we cut in half.

And the fact you don't know about the inner loins, "preacher's meat", speaks volumes about your lack of knowledge on the subject.
    #6 Jonesee, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

"Inner loins" are called "tenderloins" in both deer and livestock, where I come from.

Also, what we call field dressing is what you do in the field, before you move the deer, not butchering, where you actually skin and take out meet.

Yeah, I must not know what I'm talking about, but I know, like any kid on his first hunt, that removing hams and backstraps has nothing to do with field dressing.

As usual, I suspect the members here are mostly playing fictional online characters.:upeyes:
  9. We don't field dress. Drag to a point the tractor or 4wheeler can get to it. Haul it to the skinning shed. Why would you field dress it when you can roll it into the front end loader and take it to the skinning shed?

The meat goes straight from the deer to cooler filled with ice. Daily you drain the cooler and add more ice. Usually do this for about 10 days.

You can review my old posts to see my family are farmers if you don't believe me.

The only times I field dress is hunting with my father in law up north or out west. They field dress and can leave it out to cool, then butcher. Up north they also butcher the whole deer. We still take the inner and outer backstraps as soon as it is hung to cool.
    #8 Jonesee, Oct 26, 2013
  10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I field dress as I don't usually hunt on farms with a "skinning shed".

Typically I cut from tail to botton of the sternum. I carry a small hunters axe and CAREFULLY split the pelvis to free the digestive tract. I quickly cut the diaphragm free from the inside of the rib cage. I also make a small verticle cut below the jaw and reach in and sever the wind pipe and esophagus. I pull the esophagus out at the jaw make a small cut in it and put a knot in it. This keeps the contents of the stomach from coming out when you pull the organs out. I learned how to do it this way in Europe and its very simple and clean. Usually takes me about 10 minutes tops to field dress a deer. My knife is a small custom drop point with about a 3" blade. My hatchet is a Granfors Bruks mini hatchet and can fit in your pocket (but I carry it in a fanny pack with extra ammo, etc) I also have a Fallkniven NL5 Idun I use from time to time. THAT is a superb hunting knife BTW. Half the time I've shot a meat deer I don't have my fix blade and I've dressed more than a few with a Benchmade Griptillian I usually have in my pocket

I will usually take the tenderloins as they will dry out quickly when I get back to camp but the rest will stay on the carcass until I butcher it. When I butcher it I bone out the entire carcass and the only parts that come off are the front quarters which are only attached with muscle and sinew. The rest gets boned out off the hanging carcass and the entire skeleton is left intact. Boning a deer and prepping/wrapping the meat is about a 2-3 hour job if you include grinding burger and making sausage.
    #9 Big Bird, Oct 26, 2013
  11. For my "inside" knife I like the blade to be as long as my right (right handed) index finger. With my finger on the back I always know where the end is so as to not cut up any left fingers.
  12. Hey all,

Thanks for the replies so far. Big nod to Big Bird, that reply is along the lines of what I'm looking for, tools & techniques that are useful in the field. Even replies outside of that context are helpful as long as they can be applied in the field, just after taking the shot, no machines involved.

Big Bird, I like the technique you use with the esophagus, how do you handle the other end at the anus after you (carefully) split the pelvis? Tie it off and notch it out? Particular order of steps? My Uncle had an issue last season (spilling some nugs) that I would like to avoid next fall. I was in a different canyon, so I didn't get to see exactly what went wrong.

I also like the tip about the tenderloins. I think I'll try that next time. We usually just gut it, skin it, and let it hang until the meat starts to bark up, then bag it. Drive it out the following day.

Really appreciate the contributions, no doubt many of you have more knowledge and experience on this than me.
  13. Definitely a good one to keep in mind. Much appreciated.
  14. Yup, stuff like this is what I'm looking for.
  15. Dig that! Will try next time.
  16. Bulldog160

Bulldog160 Member

17. t8er

Gorwilla where I come from there are 3 deer seasons.

Salt, Pepper and Lawry's

18. Try this:

Backstrap cut thin at an angle
    Salt it.
    Pepper it.
    Dowse with Lawry's.
    Lay a piece of pepper on it.
    Lay a piece of onion on it.
    Lay a sliver of cream cheese on it.
    Roll it up and stick a toothpick through it.
    Grill it.

No sense in even trying to get them to the table. They will be eaten as soon as they come off the grill.
  19. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

With the anus--you simply cut a hole around the perimeter under the tail. When you split the pelvis it all should slip right out.
  20. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

I use my 'turtle cleaning kit' that I keep in the truck.

For moose I use a chainsaw with vegetable oil in the oiler.
  21. Tvov

Okay, I'm a new hunter, and actually have yet to field dress anything... but are you serious? Would be an interesting thing to see!