close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How Do You Feel About Being Videotaped?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by OldScribe2009, Jun 25, 2011.

1. doneroman

doneroman SheepDogs-R-Us

Apr 17, 2009
    The Infidel lair
    This is another legal/tactical quandry question, for LEOs to NOT answer.

2. Vic777

Vic777

Jan 23, 2006
    The Cop is the one who made the big production. The Cops should be filmed so when they violate someones civil rights they can be sued, and the Citizen can be set free. It's not Rocket Science.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Not rocket science picking out Agenda Trolls, either.

You'll forgive us if we don't want to talk to you. Well, maybe you won't, but I won't lose sleep. Toodles! :wavey:

4. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    If this is the video the OP is talking about....it's clear she is not arrested for videotaping. Just plain and simple too close to the stop. If she was back another 20 yards or so I am betting they would not even had talked to her. Where she was standing, she could close the gap within just a few seconds....not something officers need when making arrests.

5. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    I don't mind if people videotape me...just do it at a safe distance for everyone involved. It is what it is....we have video cameras all around town and many stores have cameras as well. It's no big deal as long as they are not a safety hazard. I don't want to have to divide my attention away from the bad guys I am dealing with to constantly keep telling you to back up.

I would be uncomfortable when dealing with juveniles or victims of sensitive crimes and some goon is videotaping it to put on youtube for the world to see.

6. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    I can only assume it is based on the description, the OP would need to confirm it for certain.

They mention something (at 1:21 into the video) she said before the camera started rolling. Knowing exactly what that was would likely help me in forming an opinion on the whole event. If it was a threat of any kind, then I understand them being upset with her presence. If it is not, then perhaps their actions weren’t justified. I don't know.

What I did notice is that at no point did they ask her to stop recording. Could it have been a threatening comment they mention as the concern? Could it be a precaution to not have an innocent bystander too close in case something goes wrong if bullets start flying? The person they were investigating was actually facing the camera, were they taking precautions? Too many questions for me to form an opinion one way or the other.

7. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Thank you for clarifying it for me, I feel so stupid now. You are right, the Cop is inherently evil and the Citizen is inherently righteous; and video keeps evil from triumphing.

Man, before Louis Le Prince we had a good run. :upeyes:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  8. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    I'm comin on a ride along. I haven't been to Hollywood in a long time.

9. Welp! Since we are going down Tidybowl Lane, I'll start popping the popcorn.

10. jbclark187

jbclark187

Sep 27, 2010
    Cumming, GA
    Umm what? Seizing private property from a citizen? Hard to see why some cops get a bad rap.

Umm. Wait. So are you saying we should only rely on the officers word and ignore video evidence? I must've misunderstood your point.

11. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    It's called "evidence" and it's seized quite frequently.

12. jbclark187

jbclark187

Sep 27, 2010
    Cumming, GA
    No. No. I get that... If it's to show a criminal act by the perpetrator... Sure. I can get behind that. I think most citizens would willingly cooperate in such situations.

But if the officers are being caught in the act of wrong-doing and attempt to seize said evidence... Not too much of a stretch that they may try to personally suppress this evidence (i.e. Destroy it).

What's your recommendation there? Just hand it over like a good lil' sheep?

13. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Where do you get that as the scenario that Sam Spade described? How does your initial reply reflect your specific concerns?

14. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    Double butter for me.

IBTL.

15. jbclark187

jbclark187

Sep 27, 2010
    Cumming, GA
    His statement wasn't specific to that point.

I was merely implying that these encounters arent just to assist with the prosecution of a suspect - there can be other circumstances.

So... How does a law abiding citizen respond to an officer demanding a video of questionable officer conduct? I'm not trying to instigate anything here - a legitimate question, if someone would care to answer it.

16. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    There is no one answer to your question as circumstances can and do vary greatly between situations.

I would suggest you spend a few $$$ and talk to an attorney as to what the law in your state says about the matter.

And you know what they say about asking a cop for legal advice...:cool:

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Evil to him who evil thinks.

Ya know, we don't have a conversational history, so I don't really know your character. But I do know that you waltzed into the thread and led off with an assumption of wrongdoing on the part of LE, tying what you later claim to be a misunderstanding of my clear meaning to a snarky comment. So I'm going to invoke Big Boy Rules and give it to you straight.

If you're inept enough to get caught filming cops committing a felony, and then stupid and inept enough to get caught with the film while they were busy committing their felonies, then yeah, I recommend that you turn it over before you get it beaten from you. How can you possibly be so naive as to think that the criminals you just caught in the act will melt under your righteous indignation and ignore that you hold their freedom and livelihood in that little SIM card of yours? The only explanation I can think of is that you've lived a comfortable sheltered life, protected from reality in large part by the people you're disparaging, and have now confused Hollywood entertainment with reality.

You can get butthurt by this post if you choose. But at least someone has now exposed you to a glimpse of real life. Reread carefully---there are several nuggets of wisdom in this post.

18. glockbob

glockbob

Sep 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    It really can't hurt me or my case, since I am recording as much as I can. I wouldn't even look twice at someone recording me from a distance.

Now as others have mentioned, you get into my scene, and compromise my safety by distracting me. Then we are going to have a problem.

19. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004

I fail to see the point of your comment. You infer a cause and effect relationship that any cop being videotaped will exhibit their true behaviors and do stupid things.

To that, I say that your impressions of me and my career are far better than my evaluation of your failures at a logical inference and developing a rational point in cognition.

resort to emoting. Reasoned thought has bypassed you.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011