close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How do you clean your dies?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by oneofthose, Dec 4, 2010.

1. oneofthose

oneofthose

May 16, 2007
    How do you clean your dies?

Do you clean carbide dies differently? More/less frequently?

Do you clean rifle/bottle neck dies differently? More/less frequently?

2. TH3180

TH3180

Jul 22, 2010
    I only have 9mm dies right now. I use Break Free CLP, Q-tips and maybe a patch or two. I clean them the same way I clean my guns.

3. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I don't have any steel sizers. All my pistol sizers are carbide. I've never cleaned them. Some are 25 years old and have nevr been cleaned. I never will clean them either. I rarely tumble my brass. The only die i clean is my seater because it gets gunked up with liquid alox bullet lube and needs to be cleaned every couple of hundred rounds or so. I just take out the seating stem and use a rag and some bore cleaner. Bore cleaner seems to cut right through the liquid alox faster than the break cleaner I was using.

I only have one set of rifle dies and they have a collet sizer that I don't see a need to clean. If I used steel traditional sizers, I would clean them with bore cleaner and a q-tip.

4. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Not as often as I should. Lead bullets about every 500 rds. I use paper shop towels and lighter fluid.

5. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Sep 19, 2008
    MO
    About every 1-2k I give my press a quick once over cleaning sometime during that I will give the dies a quick once over aswell

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  6. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    I usually clean 'em when bullets start to stick in the seating die. Have seen guys load two bullets more than once because of gummed up seater.

7. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    Air compresor and a little windex or alcohol. Every few hundred rounds.

8. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I clean them the same way I clean my glocks.
    Rarely to never.

9. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
  10. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Jul 25, 2008
    One shot gun cleaner and dry lube... I just spray them well and let them dry.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    3-4 times a year. Don't think I have ever cleaned the sizer. Never really cared. The seater and the Crimp need cleaned far more often.

12. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    When they start to feel dirty I spray them out with the cleaning spray I use for my guns.

13. noylj

noylj

Jul 20, 2010
    When I get a new die, I disassemble it and clean it with a good degreaser.
    Only load lead, so I wipe out the seating die. "Best" dies for cleaning are Dillon and Hornady (you can remove the seating stem without taking the die out of the press/bushing/toolhead).
    In general, you clean a die just like a gun. Hoppe's #9 and patches will do the job (along with Q-tips).
    If you get some nickel stuck in your carbide die, you will need some Hoppe's #9 and a brass brush.

14. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Proper sized bore brush with a patch soaked in brake cleaner. Remove the decapping rod first. The dirt won't harm the carbide; but it will scratch the case. Clean dies work much smoother. Clean dies, and you won't feel the need to lube the brass.

15. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    I just twist a paper towel with some Hoppe's on it & "screw" it into the die & out the other end. Amazing how much crud comes out of the seater & resizer/decapper dies.

16. kshutt

kshutt

Aug 24, 2001
    Oklahoma
    Very true. I've cleaned my Dillon seater and crimp dies in the past with MPro-7. I'm going to try Ballistol in the future to see if they require cleaning less often.

17. AltiDude

AltiDude

Jan 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    I clean mine every time my daughter cleans her room.
    pretty much never.

18. kshutt

kshutt

Aug 24, 2001
    Oklahoma
    You obviously never shoot cast bullets. The lube builds up in the crimp die, and unless you want to live with the inconsistency thereof, the only reasonable thing to do is clean them. :shame: