close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How do you clean an AK?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by EM87, Jan 6, 2010.

1. EM87

EM87

Oct 21, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    PART ONE

When I bought my rifle a few days ago it was absolutely flawless. The inside of the barrel was really shiny and the piston had no discoloration at all. Everything was spotless. The guy I bought it from said he'd put 300-500 rounds through it before it became a safe queen for a few years then was sold to me.

I shot it yesterday (100 rounds of Wolf FMJ) then took it home and cleaned the crap out of it. No matter how I scrubbed it (or with what), the piston would not get clean.

When I got it, it looked like this:

[​IMG]

Now it looks like this:

[​IMG]

What gives?

PART TWO

How should one clean an AK to perfection? Any links or tips would be appreciated.

2. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    There is no need to get it cleaned to "perfection"... It's an AK.

3. EM87

EM87

Oct 21, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    But why would you not? The cleaner it is the longer it will last.

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee

Small amounts of deposits left on your piston is not going to kill the life of the gun... As long as you get it "somewhat clean", that gun will last longer than you live.

5. TedG954

TedG954

Dec 13, 2007
  6. SidX

SidX NRA Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Whenever I want my AK to be perfect I always call it a whore and throw it down the driveway.

J/K

Occasionally I give my piston a wipe or two with a lead away cloth. Cleans it right up. Perfection.

7. Jack Greenwell

Jack Greenwell

Dec 7, 2007
    Texas
    scrubbing metal so extensively will wear it out faster than leaving a little carbon on it.

8. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    People stress over cleaning their guns waaaaayy too much. Getting that burnt on soot cleaned off will do nothing...nothing..have absolutely no affect on how that rifle shoots and functions, nor will it affect the rifle's durability one iota.

My AK has been cleaned once in 12 years, and that was only because I had the receiver stripped, and it seemed as good a time as any.

AK's are made to run dirty. That's half their appeal.

9. If you really want that piston head shiny, then use an exacto-knife and scrape the carbon deposits (they should come off very easily. For the sides, I use solvent and a scotch brite abrassive sponge. The most important thing in an AK, is not how clean the piston is, but how clean and free of deposits the blowback hole is.

10. moncoacp

moncoacp

Jan 16, 2009
    Take it to a commie, Russian dry cleaner.

11. sjones

sjones Millennium Member

Apr 26, 1999
    carrollton,tx
  12. Lyptix

Lyptix NRA MEMBER

Apr 1, 2006
    Wooster, Ohio
    Take out your boot laces, dip them in motor oil and run them thru the barrel a couple of times.....some even may think that is overkill on cleaning an ak....

13. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    If you want a any gun to "stay clean" don't shoot it.

:cool: