close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you choose a holster without going broke?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by onebadtwo, Jun 14, 2011.

1. onebadtwo

onebadtwo
    Expand Collapse

I am new to carrying and just picked up a new G26 to use as my primary CCW. How do you pick a holster without spending tons of money getting something that just plain doesn't work for you? I like the IWB holsters such as the CrossBreed, the MTAC, and the KingTuk. But how do you choose which is best? I am also not totally opposed to carrying OWB but there seem to be TONS of choices in that market! I picked up a DeSantis Nemisis today just to get me by with the G26.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

Just do yourself the favor and buy the supertuck. I've had mine for over a year now and couldn't be happier.

3. jeffyjeff

jeffyjeff
    Expand Collapse
    awesome sauce

whatever you buy, you can most likely find someone to resell it to if doesn't work for you.

personally, when i bought my first handgun for ccw -- also a g26 -- i also bought a horsehide cbst as my first holster and found it works perfect for me~

4. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Without intent starting a pissing match I'll tell you that the MTAC is the best holster you listed IMO. Before long you'll end up with a drawer full of holsters like the rest of us.

I believe GT used to have a holster borrowing thing set up where you could try different holsters.

5. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays
    Expand Collapse
    Misanthropical

I had a long time to formulate an idea before I'd even bought my first carry pistol.
    Do a lot of research, compare product descriptions and word of mouth to what you need.

For me I wanted IWB and leather, with straps that allow me to take the gun off without removing my belt. I went from there and got 2 different holsters from highnoonholsters.com

Love them both for their intended dress.

6. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

i kept reading here on GT about holsters and have to say i have a good collection of holsters for my glock 27 and all serve a purpose, no extras. M-Tac, Glock Sport Combat, Galco Miami Classic, Galco Ankle Glove, Fobus, Blackawk Serpa, Mr. Softy, Uncle Mikes IWB, and a Unkle Mikes pocket holster. after a lot of reading this is what i have come up with and all serve me well. the M-Tac and Uncle Mikes is the only ones i bought new, the rest were bought off GT classified at really good prices.

7. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

Awwww shut up and spend way too much money on way too many holsters that don't work like the rest of us :tongueout:

I really do not know the answer, holster that work well for one person do not work well for others due to body shape size etc. :dunno:

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

This is why I don't like to spend more than $70-80 tops on a holster (and prefer $30-40).

MTAC is my favorite. Blade-Tech Nano is second. I sold one holster on EBay for about a 50% loss. Better than having it sit around unused though.

9. up1911fan

up1911fan
    Expand Collapse

Um, trade or sell what you don't like or need.

10. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu
    Expand Collapse

The best way to avoid going broke finding the right holster is to purchase the MTAC and forget about the rest. I have a huge plastic bin full of holsters that I did not like. I now have an MTAC for every gun that I carry concealed with the exception of my LCP. The Crossbreed doesn't even come close IMHO.

11. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

This man speaks the truth. I absolutely love my MTAC. I've carried a G22, G27, and P239 with it. All were comfortable. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

12. Captains1911

Captains1911
    Expand Collapse

Another vote here for the MTAC. I'm not saying it will work for you, but it seems to have a much higher success rate than most holsters, so you might as well start there. I have yet to try a CrossBreed, but it's design is similar to that of the MTAC, and they offer a 2 week trial period.

13. Lampshade

Lampshade
    Expand Collapse

The sport combat holster is cheap, yet incredibly functional for just about any use.

Seems a good place to start.

14. John Rambo

John Rambo
    Expand Collapse
    Raven

Step 1 - Disregard everything you read about 'tactical', everything you read from gun nerds who walk around ready for the Russians to paradrop out of choppers, all of the catchy marketing which makes it seem like that holster will make you Quick-Draw McGraw, all of that crap.

Step 2 - Figure out what you're looking for in a holster. Material, design, features.

Step 3 - Go play with a few if you can find them. Check ranges, gun shows, and most importantly internet sites for good pictures and then when you find one you might want, check out testimonials about the manufacturer, the brand line, and the specific holster.

I have two holsters. I've only ever owned two holsters. An Uncle Mike's Sidekick and a Galco IWB snap holster. They cost me less than 50 bucks between the two of them. I carry them all the time. They have never failed me.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Most manufacturers have a return policy... While you'll have to pay to return the holster, and your refund will be less shipping to send it to you.. you'll probably be out 10-15 bucks total on that..

While I can't speak for Crossbreed, I imagine he does.

Most important thing... GET A GUN BELT FIRST... Then start buying/trying holsters. A proper belt will cause a holster to carry much differently than carrying on WalMart/Carhart/etcj junk. If you don't, any holster you try is gonna suck, and you're constantly gonna be trying new holsters....

Personally, I would get an M-Tac... I've always gotten great service from them, and the owner isn't a ******.... Comp-Tac has a 30 day return policy.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

If you buy a quality holster though, you should be able to "flip" it if you don't like it. You have a really common pistol. Your biggest issue w/ flipping a holster on a forum, is your low post count (right or wrong, people probably won't trust you).

Holsters tend to sell OK on ebay.

#15 IndyGunFreak, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  16. HexHead

HexHead
    Expand Collapse

Get something to use temporarily while waiting for a Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2 to be made for you. There's cheaper holsters out there, but none better. On the off chance you don't like it, you can sell it for 30-50% more than you paid for it.

17. Spats McGee

Spats McGee
    Expand Collapse

18. John Rambo

John Rambo
    Expand Collapse
    Raven

Without getting into the eternal "Super Tactical Wilderness Survavilist instructor special forces covert ops gunbelt" issue, I also want to state that I own no gunbelts. The only time I wear a belt (a regular, double-loop belt from Wal-Mart) with my holster is when I'm wearing basketball shorts or something else - with jeans and khakis the weapon stays secured just fine.

Before anyone jumps me on this...The guy asked how to just get a holster to carry his weapon in without going broke; I'm trying to get him there in a no-frills way.

#18 John Rambo, Jun 15, 2011
  19. Crimp

Crimp
    Expand Collapse

Just like this! Ask the question here and evaluate the answers.

Do yourself a favor -- if you decide you like that type of holster, save a lot of money and waiting time by considering a Tommy Theis holster. If you don't like it, you can return it, but I bet you keep it.

#19 Crimp, Jun 15, 2011
  20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Been there done that on the Wal Mart, Carhart, etc.. belts.

No way would it work for me. Bottom line, something might be cheap, but if it's not comfortable, he's not gonna use it.

Do a search on any gun forum, and find the many "carry issues" that have been solved by getting a quality belt. Get a gun belt.

IGF