close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How do you carry spare mags?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by kb18no1, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    In my door pocket, glovebox, pack, tac bag, computer bag. junk drawer, night stand, motorcycle glovebox, and in a single or double mag carrier on my belt. Galco/Bianchi/Blackhawk/Glock. Sometimes no carrier, just one in a pocket.

2. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Jun 28, 2006
    San Antonio, Texas
    I don't see this as a safe effective way to carry a spare mag. here's why...

it's a pocket holster that I assume you keep in the pocket on the strong side. in a crisis you reach in and immediately pull the weapon.... now the spare is still in the pocket on the strong side, while your strong hand is otherwise engaged with the weapon... doesn't make much sense to carry a spare on strong side unless you can still get to it with weak hand i.e. on the waistband. I've tried to get my keys out of my pocket with the opposite hand and it looks like having a seizure...

3. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

Jan 31, 2011
    Greenville, SC
  4. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    For someone wanting a case on the cheap. Walmart was selling the Blackhawk nylon single mag carrier a while back for about 10 bucks. They were actually pretty nice for the price and made in America.

5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I carry my spare G17 magazine in my back left pocket.

6. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    Ok this may sound strange , but I am a devout DIY freak. I don't know what kind of tape I used by brand , it is a cloth based product with a friction type adhesive . Sort of like Hockey stick tape, but the adhesive is not gooey. I cut the side of a plastic milk carton , played around with cutting them up till I got a decent pattern. Folded it over on the Mag:a Kahr P9C and a Walther P99c . wrapped the tape tight enough to get a tight fit, but loose enough for an easy strip off. Hit it for a few minutes with a warm hair dryer. I have carried one daily for over a year with no wear and better yet , no woolly boogers in the mag . It actually works and costs nothing . Since I just pocket carry it I never worried about making a clip for it , but I imagine it could be done .

7. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    I carry a double leather mag pouch on the weak side OWB

8. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    16 rounds of reassurance in my back pocket.

9. kb18no1

kb18no1

Dec 29, 2012
    I want to carry G17 mag for mt G19.

Does anyone carry it horizontal? The cell phone case is a good idea.

Would a horizontal mag holder print less than a vertical one?

10. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Nov 18, 2003
    Houston
  11. GWG19

GWG19

Jan 28, 2012
    Huntsville Al
    I carry a spare on the outside of the Sitka sling bag. I will also carry one for the pocket pistol in the watch pocket in my jeans or in a jacket pocket.

[​IMG]

12. WT

WT Millennium Member

Jan 12, 1999
    USA
    Suggested homework assignment:

From a prone position behind a 6 inch high block, simulating using a street curb for cover, do a speed reload while minimizing your exposure.

Use either a self loader or revolver ... your choice.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. liberty addict

liberty addict

Jun 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I use a Don Hume leather mag pouch OWB on the weak side, with a G26 on the strong side IWB (appendix location). I used to carry a mag in a pocket but it got way too crudded up with lint and other stuff that way. I also tried a cell phone holder but the one I had, you could rotate the holder all the way around and I found the mag would fall to the ground way too much. I think the money I spent on a real mag pouch was well worth it.

14. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
  15. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    In a SmartCarry holster, or Fobus single or twin paddle for CCW. In a duty belt mag carrier when on duty, in multiple CR Speed mag holders in competition.

16. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
  17. Taphius

Taphius

Sep 26, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Almost always wear some type of wrangler cargo pants/shorts. No shortage of space in them so it goes in a pocket.

18. I generally do NOT carry an extra mag for my G23.

I do however carry many mags to the range, and include my Fobus double-mag paddle unit.

It is easy to load and unload and carried on the weak-side is an easily concealed method.